Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
I have noticed a lot of people in this thread mention that they miss rivers and water. Isn't Colorado known for its whitewater rivers? There seem to be plenty of rivers and lakes to keep people satisfied, am I wrong or are people just not able to find them as easily?
Snowmelt fuels those rivers. CO gets severe droughts in some years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Snowmelt fuels those rivers, and CO gets severe droughts in some years.

Most “lakes” are reservoirs and subject to large drawdowns for human use. Think “bathtub ring” and muck flats.

I do not consider it a great state for watersports. However, there certainly IS water.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 AM

98 posts, read 88,526 times
Colorado ranked #2 in fatal accidents involving road rage and aggressive driving. For reference, California and Texas didn't even crack the top 20. I miss better drivers.

Also miss good food and weather.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:30 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post
Colorado ranked #2 in fatal accidents involving road rage and aggressive driving. For reference, California and Texas didn't even crack the top 20. I miss better drivers.

Do you live in Colorado?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

98 posts, read 88,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Do you live in Colorado?
Yep, part time.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post

Do you have a source for this? It definitely confirms my anecdotal observations.

The majority of people here are great, but there really does seem to be a significant contingent of the population that takes the libertarian bent to a toxic extent where they think they can justify being a jerk because they're not legally obligated to cooperate with a larger society.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Snowmelt fuels those rivers, and CO gets severe droughts in some years.

Most “lakes” are reservoirs and subject to large drawdowns for human use. Think “bathtub ring” and muck flats.

I do not consider it a great state for watersports. However, there certainly IS water.
Still blows my mind how many boats I see here. I mean id love to rent a boat on lake powell but to own one for the small res in the state....not so much.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,884,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Do you have a source for this? It definitely confirms my anecdotal observations.

The majority of people here are great, but there really does seem to be a significant contingent of the population that takes the libertarian bent to a toxic extent where they think they can justify being a jerk because they're not legally obligated to cooperate with a larger society.
Wooo who pi3d in your beer ?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,954 times
Moved here in 2016 from the Chicago Suburbs

What I miss about Chicago
Good ethnic food. Good Mexican, Thai, Indian, and deep dish pizza
Public bathrooms/water fountains at trails -- CO has a lot of trails, many don't have port-a-potties or water.
Green in the summer
Reasonable priced tollways
Bigger running/Triathlon community
Aldi

What I don't miss about Chicago
Taxes
Crazy traffic
Hot/Humid summers and Cold/Bitter winters
Outdoor activities limited to a handful of forest preserves
Political corruption
Most offices are business casual/formal

What I love about the Denver Metro
Weather
So many places to run, hike, and bike
So many camping places
Traffic usually flows, even if slow
Bike paths go everywhere - I can bike from Highlands Ranch to Boulder and to Cherry Creek
Offices seem more laid back

What I hate about the Denver Metro
Lexus lanes for highway expansions
Snow plowing can be a huge miss -- major roads aren't sometimes plowed for hours after heavy snow
Lack of real "downtowns" for suburbs, outside of Boulder and Golden. Littleton sort-of counts, but it's pretty small.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Wooo who pi3d in your beer ?
I've spent too much time on projects in Douglas County and driving I-25 through there probably. The disregard people there have for the safety of people working on their roads has been nothing short of jaw dropping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver