Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Consensus! Amazing! Good luck in your house search, OP, and welcome to Colorado!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
What is important to you in a community?

What type of housing do you like?

What are your must haves in a property and what would you like to have.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-06-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 11-06-2018, 11:51 AM

27 posts, read 24,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Can I fourth SE Aurora? It is the best location for your requirements. Everything else talked about in Arvada or other would make getting to your sister's in Erie harder than coming right from the tech center.

SE Aurora is a very nice area. The tollway is expensive but very easy and you get an electronic pass so you don't have to stop to pay a toll. The tollway routes you right around all of Denver's heavy traffic and you land right at Erie. It couldn't be more tailor made for what you are trying to do. Keeping hubbies commute at a minimum is the most important thing as it is daily and the tollway basically connects his work place to your sisters in a traffic free high speed way. Straying off that path into the foothills will make both of you miserable as neither will have an easy drive.
Thank you!

I do see the tollroad as an option, fast, etc... but nearly $20.00 round trip every time I want to see her just isn't doable. (I am sure there are ways to avoid, but that still puts us out nearly 50 miles plus)

My husband is heading there this weekend to do some visiting and hopefully some clarity is added. (of course with all the help on here too!)

Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Wheatlands, Tallyn's Reach, Southshore, Beacon Point, Blackstone (if you can afford it), Heritage Eagle Bend, and Whispering Pines for starters.

I know your kiddo is young, but if you're looking to stay longer-term, look for areas that feed into Cherokee Trail or Grandview high schools.
Thank you! I feel like I am walking around in the dark. :-)

Old 11-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDenverGirl View Post
It's funny because I just read a Castle Rock thread and people were saying the commute from Castle Rock to DTC is a pain in the butt. I think overall we feel Denver traffic has gotten worse so we all say the commutes are terrible. I feel that if being close to family offers you the support you would like or need then that should definitely be a factor! On a good day we can get to DTC in 45 minutes (close to Erie), accidents and snow can definitely put a damper on that though. If you want to stay somewhat close, Arvada can be a great choice, there are nice spots in Lakewood too like Green Mountain that would be somewhat in between and work for your budget.
You have given me a glimmer of hope! My dad has always said live where you want to live, not where you work. Now, I know the reality of what that can mean...but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice being super far away from family as it was one of our factors in making the move West.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
What is important to you in a community?

What type of housing do you like?

What are your must haves in a property and what would you like to have.
Since you asked. :-)

Budget of $600,000 or less
2 car garage or greater
3 bed, 2 bath or greater
hardwood floors (if possible, not a deal breaker by any means)
reasonable yard/green space - something where we aren't on top of neighbors in the back
new builds are preferred, but we are also looking at older homes if they're updated
away from busy roads, highways

Here are a few houses we've liked, to give you an idea. This is more so you can see the type of house we like, not necessarily the location:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...?fullpage=true

Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
This old thread should have some info, especially posting #22 by the3Ds who loves Saddle Rock Ridge.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:17 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCathy View Post
Thank you!

I do see the tollroad as an option, fast, etc... but nearly $20.00 round trip every time I want to see her just isn't doable. (I am sure there are ways to avoid, but that still puts us out nearly 50 miles plus)

My husband is heading there this weekend to do some visiting and hopefully some clarity is added. (of course with all the help on here too!)
I tend to agree with this. My cheap self doesn't use the tollway except for airport runs. You always have the choice of sitting in traffic going through town. But I live close to your sister and the run through town to the DTC, although painful at times, is often the best way to get to the DTC. Putting Arvada or Lakewood or Golden in the mix with a DTC commute and wanting to visit someone in Erie would make me cry.

I love the north suburbs and I loved it when I lived south of Denver in the DTC. Both my husband and I have commuted to the DTC from up here. Neither of us recommends it. Too much time and too much hassle.

Another thing to consider is that if you live in SE Aurora and want to take the kids to the zoo, botanical gardens, aquarium etc. you can meet in Denver.

The key to day to day happiness will likely be keeping your husband's commute short, unless he has no desire to ever see his kid.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree with this. My cheap self doesn't use the tollway except for airport runs. You always have the choice of sitting in traffic going through town. But I live close to your sister and the run through town to the DTC, although painful at times, is often the best way to get to the DTC. Putting Arvada or Lakewood or Golden in the mix with a DTC commute and wanting to visit someone in Erie would make me cry.

I love the north suburbs and I loved it when I lived south of Denver in the DTC. Both my husband and I have commuted to the DTC from up here. Neither of us recommends it. Too much time and too much hassle.

Another thing to consider is that if you live in SE Aurora and want to take the kids to the zoo, botanical gardens, aquarium etc. you can meet in Denver.

The key to day to day happiness will likely be keeping your husband's commute short, unless he has no desire to ever see his kid.
I may be reading this wrong, but are you saying where you live now (closer to Erie) makes the commute down easier than over on the Arvada, etc side?

Where I think I am struggling as well is that I haven't secured my job yet. I may be remote, but who knows. I know common sense is to weigh the obvious location more heavily, I just worry that what if I end up getting something not in DTC, etc.

Man, your last sentence kills me. :-( Why does Denver have to be so big! ;-)

Old 11-06-2018, 12:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:

A short commute for both the OP and her husband is definitely the key to happiness. She may not be pleased with the housing stock in certain areas, but it's important to keep in mind that houses can be renovated but they cannot be moved. For better or worse, that daily commute will be a constant in their lives. I still think southeast Aurora is likely her best option, but there really is no perfect place to settle with a spouse working in the DTC and family in Erie. It's going to be a pain no matter what. That said, I regularly make a run up I-25 to Fort Collins, and while it's not fun, it's doable. I know she said she did not like Centennial, but I think she should keep it in mind. There are some surprisingly great houses tucked into the neighborhoods around the south side of the DTC, and a good agent can help her find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver