Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
oberon, great thoughts there! I bet that is why CO love Old Chicago, the beer!!

Qdoba, I can't believe they were founded here. Their queso is to die for. Now that we've talked about it, there are an awful lot of chains here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
What’s up with all the smokers. I viewed Colorado as this super health conscious state, but every 5th car has a person with a ciggy hanging off their lips?? I’ve never seen so many smokers in my life.
I think you see the smokers a lot more around since they've outlawed indoor smoking, so all the smokers hang out by the doors puffing away. (They're not supposed to be within 15 feet of a door, but they don't care). Or, as you noticed, when they are in their cars. What annoys me is that smokers throw their little cigarette butts EVERYWHERE (well, everywhere except for trash cans). On the 16th Street Mall, on streets, from their cars, on patios, parks, on hiking trails, campgrounds, alpine lakes -- nowhere is sacred for these people.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Denver is the chain restaurant capital of the US. Just a few chains I can think of that were started or headquartered in Denver:
Old Chicago, Rock Bottom Brewery, Village Inn, Red Robin, Goodtimes, Chipotle, Boston Market, Qdoba, Quiznos, Spicy Pickle, Illegal Pete's, Noodles, Tokyo Joes, Paradise Bakery, ... and there's probably more I'm forgetting.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM

152 posts, read 617,918 times
the beer facination is something I already knew moving here. Colorado is like the promised land when it comes to beer, I love it

Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Denver is the chain restaurant capital of the US. Just a few chains I can think of that were started or headquartered in Denver:
Old Chicago, Rock Bottom Brewery, Village Inn, Red Robin, Goodtimes, Chipotle, Boston Market, Qdoba, Quiznos, Spicy Pickle, Illegal Pete's, Noodles, Tokyo Joes, Paradise Bakery, ... and there's probably more I'm forgetting.
Quit it!!! its almost lunch time and you're making me hungry lol

Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 AM

56 posts, read 309,304 times
It is true that you don't necessarily need 4wd or all wheel drive in Denver. However, if you plan on driving over any steep, snow-packed mountain passes (esp in a snowstorm, i.e. Loveland Pass), then you are best off in an all-wheel or 4wd. A friend of ours that was following us in a front-wheel drive car had to turn around because cars were creeping along uphill and he could not get any traction to gain any momentum. It is also worth mentioning that having good tires on your car is a big plus, no matter if it is front wheel or all-wheel drive. We spend a lot of time in the mountains, so we of course drive a Subaru sedan and a Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
I own 2 pairs of Crocs, the Mary jane style. I probably wouldn't dare wear them anywhere but here, or on the beach somewhere.
Great thread!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 AM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
Default Oooh fudge...

Oh yeah, their fudge IS good! As a confessed chocoholic, I *may* have to force RMC on myself at some point! Wow, it's almost lunch time...

You sure about that 4WD??? I AM a native Californian who has never driven in snow. Hell, we can't even drive in rain! (I can slow down, but most can't).

My son actually does own crocs for mucking about, but they look cute on a six year old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
oh just you wait. I often buy their english toffee as gifts and don't get me started on their fudge...*drool*

I think Crocs and Subarus are something you fall into after some time. Maybe you can fight the urge! Hey, I'm a native and I will not buy those croc things. Although I do own two pairs of Danskos!!

oh and the 4 wheel drive? IMHO I don't think you really need it, unless you live outside of the city. I've been driving a front wheel drive now for years and I do just fine.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:49 AM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
Old Chicago is ok with me.. I think part of the reason many Coloradans like it is because they offer so many beers. Most of the ones I've been to offer 100-110. I think I have 25 or so on my WBT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa
Colorado has a slight obsession with Old Chicago and Starbucks.

Originally Posted by TheDawg Ha! I guess Coloradoans don't appreciate good New York Pizza. Maybe it's the 110 beers.
Right. I thought it was 110 beers. Don't they have a beer that's like 10 or 12 bucks? For one beer? I got it once. It tasted like wine. I felt ripped off. I'm not drinking any #@%$ing Merlot! And I'm not driving any Subaru! They both get me sideways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobeachgirl View Post
It is true that you don't necessarily need 4wd or all wheel drive in Denver...I own 2 pairs of Crocs, the Mary jane style. I probably wouldn't dare wear them anywhere but here, or on the beach somewhere. Great thread!
Yes, good thread from a newbie. Good points about the driving and the tires. I think a family should have one full size 4wd Truck and one Honda Accord type car. With good tires. If you're solo, I guess a Subaru would work I hate Subarus. A person that I once dated in a land far far away and a time long long ago had one. She used to let me drive it until one time we were leaving a place and i put it in reverse to back up a bit to clear the car in front of me. There was a pole right behind us-WHAM!!!!!11!!!!! I'm amazed we both didn't get whiplash. I'm amazed it didn't put a huge dent in her bumper. Her face turned into something like a wicked witch and it never recovered.

Now about the Crocs, people. Don't. Friends don't let friends wear Crocs. I stopped dating a girl before because I didn't like her shoes. I usually don't look down there, but when you do, a guy doesn't want to see Crocs. Have you seen Crocs stock lately?

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-23-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
well, look at Cobeachgirl's post above. She's right in that if you plan on going to the mountains and what not, a four wheel drive is advisable. But honestly, it's not required. I used to take my totally run-down Subaru to the mountains and I did fine. But this was not during winter season or when there was heavy snow. And yes, good tires is really the key here.

Oh, I agree, I see crocs on little kids, they look soooo cute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
Oh yeah, their fudge IS good! As a confessed chocoholic, I *may* have to force RMC on myself at some point! Wow, it's almost lunch time...

You sure about that 4WD??? I AM a native Californian who has never driven in snow. Hell, we can't even drive in rain! (I can slow down, but most can't).

My son actually does own crocs for mucking about, but they look cute on a six year old!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 PM

152 posts, read 617,918 times
Crocks are like a bad one night stand. You kid yourself into thinking you're into it, then the next morning you realize you made a bad bad decision. They're is nothing redeaming about them, they're not even that comfortable. I have well manicured short toenails and they always catch on that damn rubber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver