Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 09:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer2020 View Post
I just want to avoid place where there are a lot of bros..frat boys etc.
Also depends on how "bro-ey" they are. Like little bit is okay, but like total New England frat boy style isn't really my thing.
You should check this out. Obviously it's one person's opinion, but, yes, there is truth in how they describe the bro culture in Denver: https://303magazine.com/2019/11/denv...rst-city-love/

I lived in Denver for about a decade, I would agree lately it was getting really bro-ey. But, it's a different kind of bro culture. Not so much New England frat boy - it is more of tech bro culture, if you know what I mean. Some people I ran into thought just because they worked for a software company and (now!) lived in Colorado somehow made them the coolest kids around. It's the weird arrogance that I can't really explain. There is also general aloofness that comes with it. But, again, that might be just weird tech bro culture period. I am in tech myself by the way, and it's prevalent in this industry, but the Denver/Boulder tech bros really take it to the next level (it's not even "PataGucci" of San Fran... it's like more arrogant and but also more slobby version of it). Again, it's all stereotypes of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM

95 posts, read 71,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
You should check this out. Obviously it's one person's opinion, but, yes, there is truth in how they describe the bro culture in Denver: https://303magazine.com/2019/11/denv...rst-city-love/

I lived in Denver for about a decade, I would agree lately it was getting really bro-ey. But, it's a different kind of bro culture. Not so much New England frat boy - it is more of tech bro culture, if you know what I mean. Some people I ran into thought just because they worked for a software company and (now!) lived in Colorado somehow made them the coolest kids around. It's the weird arrogance that I can't really explain. There is also general aloofness that comes with it. But, again, that might be just weird tech bro culture period. I am in tech myself by the way, and it's prevalent in this industry, but the Denver/Boulder tech bros really take it to the next level (it's not even "PataGucci" of San Fran... it's like more arrogant and but also more slobby version of it). Again, it's all stereotypes of course.
So not the southern old-money, boat shoes polo shirt kind of bro?

Old 06-01-2020, 02:07 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
No. It’s more Patagonia vest bro.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:38 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Sometimes pictures do the most justice. Here's my impressions:

Old 06-01-2020, 02:49 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Sometimes pictures do the most justice. Here's my impressions:
Or, not here are my impressions.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:47 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
Denver is big enough and central enough to the whole country to have a pretty decent cross-section of the "youth subcultures". I personally find it to be a bit bro-y, but my main points of reference are Austin and Melbourne, two very stereotypically "hipster" cities. There are plenty of preppy frat bro types, but they tend to be of the more chilled out Midwest variety, pickups and football as opposed to the coiffed hair and $80 Vineyard Vines T-shirts types. Avoid LoDo and RiNo, and you'll be fine.

A large portion of the people who have the hipster-y/bohemian style actually tend to be pretty yuppie and sporty and into all the mountain activities. Boulder is basically the capital of white-people-style Buddhism, which spills over into Denver. There are a lot of people who I call "cardio junkies" because they run, cycle, and climb to a point where it actually starts breaking their body down because they're addicted to the dopamine rush. Strangely enough, there's a bit of a crossover in the bar/music venue scene with the punk and metal scenes on South Broadway and East Colfax. But then there's the whole "bluegrass 'n' brews" scene that blends in with the hipsters but none of the punk/metal types.

And yeah, I realize I'm stereotyping out the wazoo.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:03 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Or, not here are my impressions.
Darn C-D can be stupid with pictures at times! Looks like you can only get one per post, so I'll settle with just this...

Old 06-01-2020, 06:49 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
I am more jeans and t-shirt type of tech guy. Definitely not bro material, thank God. Most of the people I work around are about the same but we are all on the older side of techies.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:55 PM

177 posts, read 176,267 times
we call them brogrammers. mostly harmless. (i'm a programmer at an office in lodo so maybe i'm biased). Do people even like the broncos here? i guess they do kinda......

Old 06-01-2020, 08:50 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,106 times
Denver a hub for Bro’s - lots of dudes there. It’s easy to make friends if you’re a guy, but expect a lot of flakiness as well. The best friends I met when I lived out there were all from other parts of CO or TX.

It’s also for the most part not in a Jersey Shore vibe way at all. The pace is a lot slower out there by comparison which doesn’t mesh at all with NJ.

God, just thinking about it I really don’t miss the Jersey Shore at all. I think I puked a bit in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver