Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 14,511 times

Advertisements

The Rush was in the castle hotel on 120th and I-25...After the Gold Rush was the on in Lakewood! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 14,511 times
two words...Cinderella City! haha What was the ice-cream place in there that used to serve the dish with something like 10 scoops of ice-cream?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 25,307 times
Found this thread by searching for the ZanzaBar. I was a bouncer there off and on through the early 80's. Originally moved here in 1967 and went to Hinkley High (1972). Reading some of these posts brought back memories I hadn't thought of in years. Also someone mentioned that they thought the old Pub on Clinton St was the Clinton St Electric Co. Actually it was the Clinton St. Public Utility. They were in partnership somehow with the Stout St. Electric Co that was downtown near 14th on Stout. Both had those funky dance floors. Also remember Sid King and the Crazy Horse. Had a batch party for a friend of mine there. Seven of us and not one of us was 21 yet. Street racing, the old A&W on E. Colfax, East 70 drive-in, And all the people mentioned in previous posts. Thanks for the memories. I'll be sure to check in again.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 21,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Anybody remember a cafeteria in Cherry Creek Shopping Center (before it became upscale)? - it wasn't Furr's - I think it began with a "B".

I even remember Daniels & Fishers (May D&F downtown) when I was really little - it was such a treat when Mom would take me there. I remember there was a restaurant on the top floor with really cool kids' menus. I still have one of them.

Fastforward to 70's - KIMN, KBPI, Tom & Somebody in the morning. Sam's on Lookout Mtn, Daught House, Skunk Creek, Tulagi's. Cruisin' Colfax.

And through all those years, there was Elitch's. My mom would tell me about dancing to the Tommy Dorsey band back in the 40's. I know they closed it down a number of years ago. What a shame!!! So what's there now?
I remember KIMN and the "Name it and claim it" contest back in the late 50's, My Dad owned the Philip 66 station on Colfax and Cook next to "Buddy Burgers" and I would work on Friday and Saturday nights just to talk to the girls that came in to get gas. I would cruise the Colfax Blvd late at night after I got off work. Ahh the memories. thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM

I remember Buster Snyder from East High School when I drove to school in a 57 Buick.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So for those who were around back then before I was born, would you have rather lived in the Denver of the 60's and 70's or the Denver of today?
I did live in Denver, in the 60' on East Colfax before it became a bad place to be from. I loved it then but I have been back for a few visits and I do not care for it today. I loved to cruise Colfax Ave and Colorado Blvd on Friday nights and stop at the White Spot on the corner for a burger and a malt. Loved to go to the Drag races and Rocky mountain Speedway on Saturdays too. I really miss the 60's except VietNam where I spent 2 1/2 years.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 20,395 times
Jims Burger Haven on Federal? At 78th & Sheridan now
Brentwood shopping center Somewhat there. Kind of slummy
Kennedy High School and Bear Valley...'65-70 Still there
Villa Italia GONE A new shopping area is there
Cinderela City GONE BABY GONE
Cruising 16th and a cop named Snyder BUSTER SNYDER IS DEAD 16th Street is a pedestrian mall
The Scotchman GONE
39th street and Peoria street racing Cant afford the gas
Allan Berg MURDERED BY ARYAN EXTREMEISTS
Lakeridge Road Still there
The Federal Center DOWNSIZED
Casa Fiesta You mean Casa Bonita Still there
Craig Chevrolet in Arvada Moved over to Kipling & I 70 now called Medved

Old 04-29-2010, 04:18 PM

59 posts, read 350,586 times
Anyone remember the Tally Ho in Lakeside? Or Lafittes in Larimer Square?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
One of my favorite memories as a kid visiting relatives in Denver in the 80's was the Jolly Rancher factory.

My elementary school in Oklahoma on every Friday would open up a student store where you could buy Jolly Rancher Stix for 5 cents and my Dad used to always regal me with his memories as a kid in the suburbs on the west side of Denver about Jolly Rancher.

When we would visit Denver, my grandmother would take me over to the factory in Wheat Ridge to shop at the factory store where you could get all sorts of different flavors that were hard to find. I always remember the smell of Jolly Ranchers in the air.

Later when I moved to Vail after college, I visited a few times after Hershey bought them out and then I remember sometime around 2002 or so pulling in and the place was shut down and over grown. Production moved to Canada. Later I heard the place burnt down and I could never bring myself to visit the previous factory site preferring to keep the memories I had.

One of the founders son said the candy used Colorado beet sugar and the high altitude also gave it a unique flavor. I agree. The stuff they make now in Canada just isn't the same, nor do they have some of the cool flavors they used to.

Might not seem like a big deal to a lot of people, but for me I guess as a young adult seeing the place shut down, it was a reality check that the world is constantly changing and that life moves on.

I also remember going to Cinderella City quite a few times and thinking that was a big deal at the time. I seemed to recall though in my memory that by the 1980's it was already on a decline.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:18 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Wanneroo is right. What eventually done Cinderella City was the Cherry Creek mall, oddly enough. The reason I say that is the mall had competition from all sides (Southglenn on Univ/Arapahoe Rd., SW Plaza on So. Wadsworth, but Cin City still held its own until the late 80's as it slowly was losing its tenants. I do like what the city of Englewood has done to that area now. But yea, that mall was huge when it opened up in the Spring of 1968.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver