Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 02:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times

Advertisements

Highland ranchh seems to have great schools, low crime and an educated populace.. It hasnt been growing and the population of 105,000 has actually declined according to some data.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 08:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Highlands Ranch is a subdivision not a city. It is mostly built out. This community started building in the ‘80s.

Old 12-04-2023, 10:55 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Scarcity of water is a huge factor in limiting development.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:22 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
As others said, Highlands Ranch is now completely built out. I think the last housing was built in about 2018 when the last phase of the Backcountry subdivision was finished. Population decline is likely because people are having fewer kids nowadays, so fewer people per household.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:38 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
It was a master planned community and, as others have hinted at, that plan is now complete. It is now what it was always meant to be, a relatively wealthy unincorporated suburb.

The original master plan was fairly low density, and there is no municipality to push for higher density, the HOA has no incentive to allow for more density as that would reduce property values and there is no traditional tax base to worry about, I figure HR will stay basically the way it is from here on out.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:01 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
As others said, Highlands Ranch is now completely built out. I think the last housing was built in about 2018 when the last phase of the Backcountry subdivision was finished. Population decline is likely because people are having fewer kids nowadays, so fewer people per household.
Population decline is real. If anyone wants to discuss that then I invite them to enjoy a thread in Great Debates titled "The Shrinking Global Population" but please read the special rules that apply to posting in that forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Population decline is real. If anyone wants to discuss that then I invite them to enjoy a thread in Great Debates titled "The Shrinking Global Population" but please read the special rules that apply to posting in that forum.
I mean, population decline IS real but I would guess that the situation in HR has more to do with high house prices and interest rates preventing neighborhoods from turning over and less to do with global trends.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I mean, population decline IS real but I would guess that the situation in HR has more to do with high house prices and interest rates preventing neighborhoods from turning over and less to do with global trends.
Very little to do with house prices. Housing vacancy rates in HR are as low as they've ever been. When no more housing is being built (number of living units remains stagnant), but there is a gradual decline in number of people per household (declining birthrates, fewer marriages meaning more single householders, etc), there is naturally going to be a decrease in the population, regardless of anything else.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Very little to do with house prices. Housing vacancy rates in HR are as low as they've ever been. When no more housing is being built (number of living units remains stagnant), but there is a gradual decline in number of people per household (declining birthrates, fewer marriages meaning more single householders, etc), there is naturally going to be a decrease in the population, regardless of anything else.
The neighborhood is not turning over. Old folks w/o kids are not incentivised to move out in the current market and young folks with kids cannot easily afford to move in. All despite the fact that HR was designed with families in mind not empty-nesters.

Birth rates may have some impact but there are plenty of young and growing families living elsewhere in the metro.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
The neighborhood is not turning over. Old folks w/o kids are not incentivised to move out in the current market and young folks with kids cannot easily afford to move in. All despite the fact that HR was designed with families in mind not empty-nesters.

Birth rates may have some impact but there are plenty of young and growing families living elsewhere in the metro.
The lack of affordability given the increase in home prices and especially interest rates is a very recent phenomenon (really over the past year and half) that would not even be captured in the available data yet. Not sure what data you'd have to support your assertion. Also, why wouldn't families with children also not be incentivised to move? How do you know that families without children didn't move to Highlands Ranch prior to when the data was captured in anticipation of having children and have subsequently had children?

I can say that per Neustar data (demographics company to which I have access), shows a slight decline in the percentage of married families with children within Highlands Ranch, from 39.3% in 2010, to 38.0% in 2023, but an overall increase in number.

Zonda/Metrostudy data (a company that tracks all housing activity in the major housing markets across the country and to which I also have access) shows that there have not been any new housing lot deliveries within Highlands Ranch since the end of 2021. The vast majority of those were in two projects - Canyon Village, a small lot single family project built by the homebuilder Taylor Morrison but that now has no units remaining located off MacArthur Ranch and Quebec, and Verona, a townhome project being built by Century Communities and nearly sold out, located just north of C-470 and south of County Line Rd (I forgot about that project because of it's location it's not in what is technically usually considered the main part of Highlands Ranch).

There are only two future projects currently left to build in Highlands Ranch. One is a 72-unit condo project also right off County Line Rd, and the other is a small, 48 lot single family parcel in Westridge portion of HR near Highlands Ranch Gold Club. I suspect the latter may never be built given neighborhood opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver