Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 07:10 AM

8 posts, read 8,074 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Central Jersey to the Littleton area for my job, and have been looking at school choices for my 6-year old child who is on the spectrum and has an IEP. Once we settle on a school, the arduous task of house hunting will likely begin!

The conventional wisdom seems to be that Cherry Creek district schools are the best in the area (closely followed by Littleton Public Schools). At the same time, there seems to be a lot more variation between schools within the same district, compared to what we are used to in Jersey (granted, NJ school districts are much smaller since almost every town has its own district). Instead of focusing on ratings and scores, I have tried to read opinions on various forums (including here) and feedback on niche.com and greatschools.org.

This is all the more important since there are no rankings of schools based on special education support. Our kiddo is high functioning and goes to an integrated kindergarten classroom with ICR (in-class resource) support. I am not sure if ICR is a thing here, but I would love to hear from members here about their experience with schools in CCSD or surrounding districts, especially in terms of inclusion and IEP support.

We are gravitating towards Heritage Elementary School or Belleview Elementary School, both of which feed into Campus Middle School and Cherry Creek High School. Can anyone share their experience (first-hand or word-of-mouth!) about these schools that may help choose between them (or even offer a better alternative)?

Also, based on school attendance zones, it appears that the serving area for Heritage Elementary is Centennial or Englewood, while Belleview serves Greenwood Village. Is there any preference between these neighborhoods for raising a young family? I see a lot of love for South Aurora (which falls in CCSD), but cannot figure out which are the better regarded schools in this area. Again, any help will be appreciated.

I understand these are a lot of questions (especially since a lot of it revolves around special education), and would appreciate local knowledge and feedback. We will likely be renting for the first year or two (2+ bedroom apartment or townhome within $2500), so want to make sure that our impending move is a good introduction to life in Colorado! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 03:46 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Since these are very specific questions, you may get better responses by checking out some Facebook groups. For example, here's a link to Cherry Creek School District Moms' Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/791586008519062

Old 01-18-2024, 04:20 PM

Thank you for the suggestion!

Old 01-18-2024, 08:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Centennial, Englewood, and Greenwood Village mailing addresses blur any boundaries between the various areas. Not all Englewood addresses are in the Cherry Creek School District boundaries. We had an Englewood address and our neighborhood was surrounded by Centennial and Greenwood Village. Make sure you have a good realtor who knows all of this.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:54 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
ZIP Codes are not based on municipal boundaries.
Municipal boundaries are not 100% correlated with school district boundaries.
This is not NJ.
School districts are huge with 20-50 thousand students.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:22 PM

Thank you, @davebarnes and @Dreaming of Hawaii.
Yes, I am quickly realizing how vast the districts are and how they encompass multiple municipalities.
Will definitely check with a realtor and/or the school, before finalizing a home.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:26 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
CCSD teacher and parent here. Personally I would feel comfortable sending my kids basically anywhere in the district. But I also am not a huge believer in school rankings, especially not in CO where the testing is all jacked up.

I'm less familiar with the west side of the district but conventional wisdom for SE Aurora is that CT and Grandview feeders are better than Eaglecrest and Smokey feeders. Personally I would challenge that as I think those differences reflect socioeconomic factors much more than quality of instruction or opportunity.

You will definitely get more house for your buck out here than on the west side of CCSD, and I really don't think you get worse schools. (As much as some folks will swear up and down that kids need to go to Creek for HS.)

Old 01-19-2024, 08:28 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
CCSD teacher and parent here. Personally I would feel comfortable sending my kids basically anywhere in the district. But I also am not a huge believer in school rankings, especially not in CO where the testing is all jacked up.

I'm less familiar with the west side of the district but conventional wisdom for SE Aurora is that CT and Grandview feeders are better than Eaglecrest and Smokey feeders. Personally I would challenge that as I think those differences reflect socioeconomic factors much more than quality of instruction or opportunity.

You will definitely get more house for your buck out here than on the west side of CCSD, and I really don't think you get worse schools. (As much as some folks will swear up and down that kids need to go to Creek for HS.)
All three of my kids went through Cherokee Trail, and two of them are at CSU right now. The third, ironically, is on the spectrum. He slipped through the cracks, though, because he's very high functioning. It's a good thing the OP has an IEP at an early age.

As far as the feeder schools go, my wife worked at Laredo Middle School. It feeds into Smoky Hill. OP doesn't have to worry about this for a bit, but I would be hesitant to send my kiddo there. It's a pretty rough school. It's a mixture of upper middle class white and Asian kids and lower income Black and Hispanic kids. Fights and drugs are both fairly commonplace. It's got a pretty awesome alumni list, though. Bowen Yang (SNL), Mike McDaniel (Miami Dolphins head coach), Kyle Shanahan (San Francisco 49ers head coach), Ryan Walters (Purdue head football coach), Dan Soder (stand-up comedian and actor), Jenny Cavnar (Fox Sports broadcaster), and Marshall Zelinger (9 News reporter) all went to Laredo.

Old 01-21-2024, 02:40 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
All three of my kids went through Cherokee Trail, and two of them are at CSU right now. The third, ironically, is on the spectrum. He slipped through the cracks, though, because he's very high functioning. It's a good thing the OP has an IEP at an early age.

As far as the feeder schools go, my wife worked at Laredo Middle School. It feeds into Smoky Hill. OP doesn't have to worry about this for a bit, but I would be hesitant to send my kiddo there. It's a pretty rough school. It's a mixture of upper middle class white and Asian kids and lower income Black and Hispanic kids. Fights and drugs are both fairly commonplace. It's got a pretty awesome alumni list, though. Bowen Yang (SNL), Mike McDaniel (Miami Dolphins head coach), Kyle Shanahan (San Francisco 49ers head coach), Ryan Walters (Purdue head football coach), Dan Soder (stand-up comedian and actor), Jenny Cavnar (Fox Sports broadcaster), and Marshall Zelinger (9 News reporter) all went to Laredo.
This is exactly why I tried to include both my own perspective as a career educator in the area and the conventional wisdom which is basically what you articulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver