Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAriba View Post
Tacos Junior has great food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 17,224 times
WOW is this thread designed to try and prevent people from moving to CO? lol

**** that looks like a 3rd world country

Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeenerDog View Post

I've been thinking about your comment, but have to say that I don't agree.

This Federal Blvd photo tour shows businesses, restaurants, etc. of many ethnic groups along Federal. While they're not fancy, and perhaps aren't what you might be looking for, look carefully at the photos.

Do you see squalor? Do you see danger? I don't.

Many of my favorite restaurants and grocery stores are along Federal. It's a vibrant part of Denver. If you're considering Denver as a place to live, understand that Federal Blvd, and other neighborhoods like it, are a part of what's here.

Last edited by suzco; 08-23-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeenerDog View Post

I completely agree with suzco. WeenerDog, no offense, but if you think Federal Blvd in Denver looks like a third world country, you have no idea what a third world country is like. Federal Blvd is a bit gritty in spots, I wouldn't live right off that road and I probably wouldn't go there to take a casual stroll down the sidewalks at night, but it's a neat area to visit. One of the reasons behind my tours is to show people different parts of Denver that they probably didn't know existed before. I have another one that I'm going to post soon of the ultra-suburban south side of the metro area. Fortunately for you, the vast majority of Denver is NOTHING like Federal Blvd, and if you wanted to, you could live your entire life in Denver and never see anything other than brand new suburbia with nothing but chain restaurants and big box stores. Some people, including me, even live in that outer suburbia but like visiting interesting places in the city from time to time to spice things up.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
I have been asked to comment on these pictures. Well, I think they are great; they do show some aspects of the area. It has already been pointed out that there are other places to consider in this area such as Teikyo Loretto Heights etc. but the O.P. has done a good job from the car; it is just a sampling.

Some of the readers may be dismayed by the pictures and consider the area dangerous and a slum. That would be too bad, for many of us who have experienced this area, know that it is not. You really have to get out of your car and walk around the different Asian and Hispanic markets, Restaurants etc. You then will get the real feeling of the area.

You will see, if you look beyond, your preconceived impressions, that the area is home to many elderly who live in complexed along the street. On the side streets, you will see that many of these homes, that were built to house returning World War II veterans are now home to the new wave of immigrants from Asia and the Western Hemisphere--where many future leaders of the community are being raised. To me when I go to this type of area, I think of the Lower East Side in New York, about 80 years ago--a place that is remembered by many elderly leaders today. Today here, we have the reality of this type of incubating neighborhood to be experienced and to be remembered.

So, you want reality instead of the faux stores of the expensive developments, then go there and eat some noodles; get real good Mexican food. Browse among the odors of the Laotian and Asian Markets. There you will see an authentic fish market with products that will astound you. Try some pastry at the Chinese Bakery at the Asian Center, near Alameda--It is right next to the restaurant with the hanging smoke duck in the window---Ah, I am getting hungry.

You will also see the variety of stores and restaurants that are real and unique. For example, The Columbine Steakhouse (as shown in the pictures), nothing fancy, just steak cooked right in front of you--at a reasonable price. Vegaspilgrim also caught the Gingeng store and Pharmacy--that is a real interesting experience. If you read Westword magazine, you will see that it tells you about the great noodle "Pho" shops, and VN sandwich shop along this street.

Of course Vegaspilgrim took pictures of the most colorful area along South Federal but South Federal gets much newer and extends past Belleview, near the old horse race track---Do any of you remember that??? It goes right into an area of nice homes and ends at I think Bowles and near the Parks along the Platte in Littleton.

Many years ago, I actually walked this area from Alameda to Loretta Heights and took the Bus Back, of course eating all the way. That is why. in my obese way, I livecontent

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,445 times
I think it's great. On my next visit, I hope to drive the Fed, especially on a Saturday night. One can really appreciate the varioius ethnic and diverse areas of Denver like Fed, Parker Rd, etc. after living in a very homogenous state for the last 6 years!

Thanks for the tour.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Thanks, SLCrising! I can tell you probably followed my link here from one of my other posts today. One thing though... I didn't know Federal Boulevard was known as "the Fed."

Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,450,890 times
And make sure to go up that way on May 5th and bring your camera! I'd imagine there's quite a car culture on some of those streets during that time.

Do go in and get a steak at that Columbine Steak House on 3rd and Federal. A quick good steak for cheap! Isn't there a nice breakfast place on Federal and Speer? Awe, it's a Starbucks now! That's a bummer.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,994 times
I'm digging the sight of all those Pho restaurants.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,170 times
It's chile time.

I was driving on Federal Blvd today, and saw that the chile roasters are out, all along the street. Lots of vendors are offering buy one bushel, get one free. I even noticed a couple that are buy one bushel, get two free.

Many of them offer a choice of chiles; you can get chiles grown in Brighton, Pueblo, or Hatch, New Mexico. The smell of the roasting chiles is tantalizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver