Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:07 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times

Advertisements

to XAFLOC and USAEconomy-these areas you recommend, how is it for a single person? is there any shopping or grocery stores nearby? any culture or is it mosty residential suburbia?
I looked at some homes in that area and they are affordable for me, just wondered how far from civilization is it? and you say the commute isn't bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
to XAFLOC and USAEconomy-these areas you recommend, how is it for a single person? is there any shopping or grocery stores nearby? any culture or is it mosty residential suburbia?
I looked at some homes in that area and they are affordable for me, just wondered how far from civilization is it? and you say the commute isn't bad?
There's a King Soopers at 6th and Peoria. And a Safeway on Colfax. There are probably more grocery stores. Shopping galore, depending on your definition of shopping.

It's mostly 50's-60's residential, maybe some older homes in parts. Not what I'd call suburban at all. Definitely urban, but not cool/hip urban.

This area straddles the border of Denver and Aurora. It is civilization.

Commute is bad only if you are going far out to the suburbs.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:39 PM

29 posts, read 122,011 times
I work at Anschutz Medical Campus (aka, Fitzsimons, UCDHSC, UCD...) so I only have a 10 minute walk to work. Hoffman/Jewell Heights has a good community neighborhood organization and if you decide to house shop here (or anywhere with older homes) I would recommend the brink houses and make sure to scope the main sewer line for root growth--since that's a big problem with these homes. Its because of the beautiful, old trees that line the streets. I love them but they sure do grow between clay pipes! I'm in my mid twenties and have been living here for five years now with no problems. No car theft, robbery, or scary people lurking. I'm not scared easily though. There's a fox and a bunch of deer that linger on Colfax at about 4am sometimes which is fun and unexpected. I think the immediate area surrounding campus benefits a great deal from campus safety. This campus is extremely safe and constantly patrolled. The neighborhoods adjacent have a lot of police presence as well. I assume as a deterrent since campus is so nice.

There's been a lot of remodeling so you can certainly find updated homes or do-it-your-selfers in this area. I got a less expensive one and am updating it myself. Traffic from campus to I-225 can be bad at rush hour but if you live here you know what side-streets to take to avoid those jams.
I don't like the King Soopers at 6th & Peoria because I don't like the produce & the carts are old & rusty & squeaky, but I go there because its super close and less expensive.
Amenities are moving in everywhere to serve the campus community needs so if you plan on staying for awhile you'll benefit from those and the future light rail stations. I'm not sure what you like but I get most of my culture-fix downtown and from campus sponsored events.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:14 AM

28 posts, read 109,916 times
I am also looking for a house for around the same mortgage payment. You should be able to get around $150,000 before taxes and insurance. About you comment about theft in Green Valley Ranch, theft happens everywhere in Denver!! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Most of them are car break-ins; happen to me in my first 3 months here after my neighbors and landlord kept saying how safe my area was.

For crime reports, check out this site
DenverMaps Report

$100,000 - $150,000 will get you a house that needs work and probably is not move in ready. For what you want, you are better of getting a condo in Stapleton or Lowry. It is tough because I am looking for the same things, but I have two dogs, so I need a yard. Also, avoid North Aurora and Montbello. South Aurora is not bad, I have been looking for homes there. The problem with Aurora is that it is more suburban and not Denver, but you can get some great buys in the 80017,80012 zip codes.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:48 AM

thanks for the insight, I do like things like a blockbuster, starbucks, cleaners, etc the typical strip-mall chains, but also like to be close to trendy restaurants if any. I do go downtown quite a bit and to sporting events.
some of the more affordable places at stapleton require a certain income level, which I do not qualify for, and I don't want an expensive home and huge house payment etc. If i have a garage, hopefully that prevents any car theft or break-ins. I work out of state for months at a time, and don't want my car exposed to the elements or thieves!
I prefer move-in ready, and would be willing to go for a condo to get that, I'm not the Home Depot-type! but I could manage carpet, or paint (hire a painter! Ha!) but nothing major like redo the kitchen or plumbing or put in a bathroom, etc. Don't have time or $$ for that kind of work, sorry I'm rambling on here, but thank you for the info!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Give it a few months and a $100K house will be 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, triple garage!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:29 AM

wow! that would be something! I'd have a gym, an office,........! ha! My time frame will be next year anyway. I just hhope there's money left to loan me after all this economic drama! :-0

Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Hey USAEconomy- how is the job market at Anshutz? I work in radiology. Do they have openings occasionally?
thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:07 PM

29 posts, read 122,011 times
I applaud you for sticking to a budget and a price cap. Just because you can technically get a more expensive house for $1000/mo. in no way means you *should.*

I work in research so I'm not familiar with the radiology department. I would just call human resources and ask. Can't hurt anyway.
Human Resources

Goodluck!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM

thank you USAEconomy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver