Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 05:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,595 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking at a couple of town homes in the Dayton area just above the Kennedy golf course. Specifically there is a unit in windstream and Beaumont place we liked. Does anyone live or know of these complexes? Is the neighborhood safe? Would you walk here at night? Would you purchase a home in this area? The listings said that the school is holm elementary which is not ranked very high on greatschools. Our son is 4 and will be going to kindergarten next year and we will probably sell in 3-4 years so I am concerned that the area schools may not be well received by potential buyers.

We are new to the Denver area and currently rent in centennial near the 25 to be close to husband's work near lone tree area off of lincoln. We have looked everywhere and there is not a lot of inventory, and have made several offers but have been priced out by higher bidders. Our price range is up to $250k give or take, depending on hoa. But we are trying to keep it more like $220kish.

Last edited by Doubleuvintage; 10-02-2014 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: Misspelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 AM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
The difference in payment would be about $150. There are 52 active listings, under $250,000 in the Cherry Creek, Littleton or Douglas County school district, close to work for hubby.

Some are single family, some are townhouses.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the reply 2bindenver. Do you know much about the Windstream or Beaumont Place townhomes or the area around there? Drove around and seems like a nice area, just surprised that the elementary school wasn't so great and heard that there's some crime towards Havana. But willing to overlook all that if this particular neighborhood is safe and such.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Were it me, I'd go just a little bit east into the Cherry Creek School District. The Shores and Cherokee are two townhome communities that come to mind.

Last edited by hammertime33; 10-02-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 04:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
The neighborhood is more than fine. Just diverse. Make sure you'd have parking.

My kids went to Samuels and Hamilton, the schools are fine, just diverse in all ways (including socioeconomically).

Old 10-02-2014, 05:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleuvintage View Post
Hello, we are looking at a couple of town homes in the Dayton area just above the Kennedy golf course. Specifically there is a unit in windstream and Beaumont place we liked. Does anyone live or know of these complexes? Is the neighborhood safe? Would you walk here at night? Would you purchase a home in this area? The listings said that the school is holm elementary which is not ranked very high on greatschools. Our son is 4 and will be going to kindergarten next year and we will probably sell in 3-4 years so I am concerned that the area schools may not be well received by potential buyers.

We are new to the Denver area and currently rent in centennial near the 25 to be close to husband's work near lone tree area off of lincoln. We have looked everywhere and there is not a lot of inventory, and have made several offers but have been priced out by higher bidders. Our price range is up to $250k give or take, depending on hoa. But we are trying to keep it more like $220kish.
I live about 1 mi from the area you are looking at and know it well. In the neighborhood you are looking at, on the same street (Dayton) within just 2-3 blocks of each other there are both beautiful luxury townhomes right off the Cherry Creek Trail selling for $400k+ (Woodstream Village-- the ones w/ address of 10000 E Yale) as well as ugly bottom of the barrel condos with units as cheap as $60k (Woodstream Falls-- address of 9700 E Iliff Ave)-- as well as a bunch of low rent apartment complexes. That neighborhood off Dayton St is crowded and congested, 100% multifamily housing. Very diverse demographics-- it seems like it's where most of the cab drivers in Denver live. Personally, I would not walk around there at night-- and I'm somebody who walks around at night all the time. I think in general with SE Denver, the single-family home neighborhoods are great, but the apartment/condo complex areas aren't so hot. If kids were not part of the decision it would probably be okay, but especially since you have kids who will be starting school, I think you would be better off looking in southeast Aurora within the Cherry Creek School District (80015, also parts of 80013 and 80016). For the same price range, same relative age and type of construction, roughly same or slightly more commuting distance to Centennial (you'd be taking Arapahoe Rd instead) as the townhomes you are looking at off Dayton, you could find a townhome (or even a small single family home possibly) in a neighborhood with much higher ranked schools. Just my opinion.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I live about 1 mi from the area you are looking at and know it well. In the neighborhood you are looking at, on the same street (Dayton) within just 2-3 blocks of each other there are both beautiful luxury townhomes right off the Cherry Creek Trail selling for $400k+ (Woodstream Village-- the ones w/ address of 10000 E Yale) as well as ugly bottom of the barrel condos with units as cheap as $60k (Woodstream Falls-- address of 9700 E Iliff Ave)-- as well as a bunch of low rent apartment complexes. That neighborhood off Dayton St is crowded and congested, 100% multifamily housing. Very diverse demographics-- it seems like it's where most of the cab drivers in Denver live. Personally, I would not walk around there at night-- and I'm somebody who walks around at night all the time. I think in general with SE Denver, the single-family home neighborhoods are great, but the apartment/condo complex areas aren't so hot. If kids were not part of the decision it would probably be okay, but especially since you have kids who will be starting school, I think you would be better off looking in southeast Aurora within the Cherry Creek School District (80015, also parts of 80013 and 80016). For the same price range, same relative age and type of construction, roughly same or slightly more commuting distance to Centennial (you'd be taking Arapahoe Rd instead) as the townhomes you are looking at off Dayton, you could find a townhome (or even a small single family home possibly) in a neighborhood with much higher ranked schools. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the replies everyone. That is too bad that the condo complexes around there aren't that great...looks so nice and I love the trees. We moved from the Pacific Northwest and I have to admit that I was trying to avoid southeast Aurora because it seems so barren and dry. Again, I love the trees. And it would have been nice to be closer to downtown Denver. Oh well.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
I agree with everyone else. Go for Cherry Creek Schools.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Western half of 80015 isn't barren/dry.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 12,557 times
Denver is very different than other cities. I remember back when I was in cali, the school districts were rather small. here is huge. one of the good one, cherry creek school district, the area is as large as few cities combined. go to Zillow and see the local school rating for the house you are looking at.

interest rate is 4.5% now, and it might go higher. winter generally is a buyer's market. price might drop in 2015 due to the inflated interest rate, but unless you are paying cash, it won't benefit as much. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleuvintage View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver