Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM

16 posts, read 44,157 times

Advertisements

I might need to re-consider my move to Denver after finding out that there isn't a single Trader Joe's in Colorado...
I can't believe it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:23 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daad View Post
I might need to re-consider my move to Denver after finding out that there isn't a single Trader Joe's in Colorado...
I can't believe it
For crying out loud it a store for PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If having no Trader Joe's here will keep you out then good luck in life.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Trader Joes coming to Denver?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,684 times
I agree, if you're considering not moving to a city based on one grocery store, it's a little odd. I lived in Mexico for 5 years without ANY US products, and did just fine!

That said, TJ's is more than just wine & cheese although that's how they started out.

[edit] Products

Trader Joe's describes itself as "your unique grocery store". Products sold include gourmet foods, organic foods, vegetarian food, unusual frozen foods, imported foods, kosher foods, domestic and imported wine (where local law permits), "alternative" food items, and basics like bread, cereal, eggs, dairy, coffee and produce. Non-food items include personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, plants, and flowers.

Interior of the Union Square, Manhattan store.

Many of the company's products are environmentally friendly.[9] However, some of its frozen fish products – notably, its orange roughy – come from species sensitive to over-fishing and that are subject to destructive[10] deep-sea bottom trawling.[11][12][13] In October 2007, Trader Joe's began to phase out foods imported from China amid concerns that standards on "organic" products from the country aren't as stringent as they should be.[14]

Trader Joe's sells many items from any of several of its own private labels. Such labels are quirkily named by the ethnicity of the food in question, such as Trader Jose's (Mexican food), Trader Ming's (Asian food), Baker Josef's (bagels), Trader Giotto's (Italian food), Trader Joe-San (Japanese food), Arabian Joe's (Middle Eastern food), Trader Johann's (lip balm), Trader Jacque's (imported French soaps), Joe's Diner (certain frozen entrees), Joe's Kids (Kid Foods), and Trader Darwin's (vitamins). By selling almost all of its products under its own label, Trader Joe's "skips the middle man" and buys directly from both local and international small-time vendors.[15]
Trader Joe's is the exclusive retailer of Charles Shaw wine, popularly known as Two Buck Chuck[9] because of its $1.99 a bottle price in California (although in some locales it sells for over $3 a bottle, due to varying state liquor taxes and transportation costs). Of the wine selection at Trader Joes, Coloumbe has said, "We built Trader Joe's on wine first, then food. I tasted 100,000 wines, and most weren't wonderful. They were submitted to us by desperate vintners." Along with Charles Shaw, Trader Joes is known for stocking a very large selection of California and New-World wines.[16]
Trader Joe's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2008, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 44,157 times
Default Trader Joe's

I'm not completely serious... but it was kind of shocking to find out and frustrating at the same time

I already put a request on their website:
Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Contact Us:Location Requests (http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx - broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daad View Post
I can't believe it
LOL. I still don't see what the big deal is about Trader Joe's. Don't get me wrong -- I liked shopping there when I lived in California, but it never struck me as a place I couldn't live without.

I like Sunflower Market here in Denver. It's not the same thing but it works well enough for me.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
LOL. I still don't see what the big deal is about Trader Joe's. Don't get me wrong -- I liked shopping there when I lived in California, but it never struck me as a place I couldn't live without.

I like Sunflower Market here in Denver. It's not the same thing but it works well enough for me.
That looks like a great alternative! Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,786 times
...and there won't be a Trader Joe's here for at least a few years, given the current state of the U.S. economy. A reliable source tells me that Tipsy's, that new mega liquor store, is already having a tough time.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I've never been in a Trader Joe's. I thought chains were a bad thing?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've never been in a Trader Joe's. I thought chains were a bad thing?
You don't understand... Trader Joe's and Ikea are different. I know they are mega chain box stores but they are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver