Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 PM

399 posts, read 1,550,082 times

Advertisements

One more thing...real quick I promise! It may be a better strategy to get my undergraduates back home closer to family and in a cheaper place and then maybe explore a place like this with status, money, and the things that seem to make Denver tick...Let's face it, it seems to be a classier scene, for the nicer things to do. I know people who work at Petsmart aren't skiing in Vail every weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
It sounds like Indiana wants you. Follow your gut, and good luck!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
One more thing...real quick I promise! It may be a better strategy to get my undergraduates back home closer to family and in a cheaper place and then maybe explore a place like this with status, money, and the things that seem to make Denver tick...Let's face it, it seems to be a classier scene, for the nicer things to do. I know people who work at Petsmart aren't skiing in Vail every weekend!
There are many advantages to going to college and then working in that same region. There is a thing called "regionalism" where local employers favor local college graduates. Also, the network you build in the city where you go to school can be invaluable to future opportunities - you can build a network with your fellow school peers.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM

After long thoughts, I have decided to go back home, but with a catch. I'm moving to Indy as opposed to Fort Wayne. I won't have mountains, but KY and TN, and NC are just a day trip away. At least this way, I'll be more down to earth while I take on the challenge of getting my degree in the next few years. I'm leaving within a month too. There's no need to pack as most of my stuff has been sold to afford living here.

I think that it is in fact, a calling, and that it's just time to go home. For over 8 years now, I've been away from family with exception to weddings, funerals, and holidays here and there. I think that it's just time to go back to where I'm from. Once I get a degree, of which I am sure as I have always been a person craving intelligence and that will be changing for me on many levels, I can think straight with more money to boot.

One thing I already know...I can go anywhere at anytime. I've already learned very valuable lessons in life in my opinion, some never learn and some learn much later.

1. Experience and enjoyment in life is more important than what we accumulate. He who dies with the most toys, still dies. He who dies with a gleam in his eye, has truly lived. Oh, and I ain't DEAD YET! (Key West buffet reference: "There's still so much more to see")

2. Seeing the "world" at least in my perspective it was, is great, but everytime you go to take a picture, it's just you in it. It get's lonely after a while.

3. If you want to move, it takes only money, references, and determination. You can literally be there tomorrow if it means that much to you. My experience? Save up some money, and you'll be a LOT less miserable. But I'll never take that drive from a young man or woman's eye. As well, sometimes you just have to see it for yourself.

4. Sometimes even when you are living you dreams, you have to give something up, in regards to getting to a higher level. It's truly a greater level of consciousness in life when we learn to give up what we hold closest to our hearts, at least, of extrinsic values, not family, love, etc. Unless that is your course.

5. People drive like idiots everywhere. As people, we all tend to rationalized and justify our own actions by comparing to places we are familiar, and comfortable. It is normal, and we do it everyday, whether or not we are in realization. That being said, Denver doesn't have the worst drivers, but some of the worst I've ever seen. It's all in my perspective.

I'll miss some things about Denver, but I'll live. And I can always drive to the Rockies to visit!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times
Geck, I think you can at least find relief in that your story is a very typical story of young people moving to Colorado briefly and then moving away.

Perhaps some of the other folks did not eat as much of the "brown acid" as you.

Good Luck and remember you can always move back to Colorado again in the future!

I appreciate your courage in boldly addressing the "making friends" issue in the Denver area, you are definitely not off the mark on that one.

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 03-01-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Dern missspellins', caught it real quick though....

Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 AM

132 posts, read 351,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Okay, so don't rip me to shreads, but wow, have my insights changed. First of all, if you read my old postings, you'll know I never came here with a bad attitude. But there are some things about Denver that have rattled my cage a lot since and I feel the need to share them.

I am trying not to list any of the attributes of my own situation, as I have taken about a 1/2 pay cut from what I made in Key West, and I don't find expenses to be 1/2 as much. My job being out in Broomfield, all dreams of getting an affordable place out there have fallen, as people are obsessed with things like status out here.

Looks more like Westminster, possibly Lakewood. I have lost just about all that I have that's worth something to stay out here, but I chose that route. 5 months from my move-in date, I have left my old place as it was in Aurora and I was in Broomfield, and the commute was terrible, as well as an escalating situation with roommates. So now the aspects are it's impossible to admit that moving here has cost me greatly, and still I stay.

I have found Aurora to be unappealing to me, and please natives of the city, don't take offense, it just wasn't my bag. The housing is more affordable, but neighbor-wise, you'll get what you pay for. I'm not a snob by any means, but it seems like "gangsta's paradise" was what Aurora really wanted it to be like. But that's everywhere in America right now. We're all hip-hop now, pretty fly for a ____guy! (or gal). Why we like using one of the richest countries in the world to emulate the lowest form of status in civilization is beyond me...but that's another posting altogether!

So as things didn't work out, and an unpredictable repair costing hundreds has occurred, I have found myself on the couch of a friend's house for the time being. Not what I pictured for sure. But you can't converse about the price of a dream unless you are willing to pay for it. And I have. I am now in Lakewood, which I find to be a refreshing side of Denver. Much more culture, more like a big city and not a big ghetto. Broomfield seems too overpriced to me, like an outer-convenience band suburb for Boulder. The apartments you get there are expensive, and you pay more for a mountain-view. I find that to be disrespectful, as all you get is the outside view, the inside remains the same.

Needless to say, my opinions of Denver have shifted. I, being from Indiana, have always been a courteous, friendly person towards people, even strangers, that need advice or assistance. People seem locked into their own worlds, needless of yours. Leaving Key West for this cold, dismal experience has left me thirsty for friendly people. Maybe it's just winter, but I am doubting it. Don't get me wrong, I have met some nice people, but most of them don't like living here either, and mostly for that exact reason. So much for that being just a newcomer's opinion...

The thing that keeps me here is the views, and the hikes. Just a few minutes away, and I am thousands of feet high and miles from the city. Yesterday, at Lookout Mountain things were just beautiful, and put into perspective. I get my release, my meditation, if you will from nature. But I wasn't alone. All the people on the paths were friendly. Could it be just cause they have to engage you by walking by? I notice little things like this, and it does get my attention that bikers, hikers, even dog-walkers are friendlier than the general, getting there populace of Denver.

And what is with the driving? Wow, I have driven alot of places, and I must tell you, I have never seen more backwards driving for such a large city in my life. People drive slow in the fast lane, fast in the slow lane, and change lanes without signals, drive without lights in the dark, pile WAYY too much on top of their vehicles, swerve around like they are on cough syrup or something. And being from Indiana I find it really annoying that on a left turn, people don't pull out into the intersection, like you are supposed to.

It seems that people always have to prove themselves to you...like if you are just passing them nonchalantly in traffic, they speed up with tiny dickie syndrome or something. They can't let you pass them. It's just a general attitude I have noticed here. And don't say it's all the out of state drivers. Nope, try again, CO plates more than often. The out of state drivers like me are probably just more frustrated as I am. Sadly, this whole city needs Driver's ED like no tomorrow, some of them shouldn't have a license. (Like the lady killed two in the taxi last week with 3 DUI's!) People have warned me I should kill someone before I go to court for traffic citations, as I'll get the book thrown at me...are you serious?

So, an opportunity has come for me to go to Indianapolis to be closer to home and family, and though I love the mountains, I have to think about it. Denver just isn't the western advanced good attitude outdoorsy city I read about in the websites back in Key West last year. I have a positive attitude, and engage each friendly person I meet with kindness, but most of them are from Indiana, such as the person I am staying with right now. Funny how us Hoosiers can find other kind Hoosiers even at a mile high and 1000 miles away.

I've been to Key West houses are way more expensive there than Denver. Key West is a very uncommon place, very different than most places. Moving from key west to almost anywhere would be a culture shock. If you want to own a home there are many places that are more affordable than denver.

Indiana? Really? Now thats cold! Gansters yeah they suck, but move to a real city first before you can really know what it is like to live amongst gangsters. Try L.A., chicago, houston, new orleans, new york, or NEWARK, nj,

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Default From Indiana but never experienced real cities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
I've been to Key West houses are way more expensive there than Denver. Key West is a very uncommon place, very different than most places. Moving from key west to almost anywhere would be a culture shock. If you want to own a home there are many places that are more affordable than denver.

Indiana? Really? Now thats cold! Gansters yeah they suck, but move to a real city first before you can really know what it is like to live amongst gangsters. Try L.A., chicago, houston, new orleans, new york, or NEWARK, nj,
I'm so sick of people thinking all of Indiana is like "Twister" Um yeah, we have cities, at least for that kind of population we do...Ever heard of Gary, IN? Not such a sunshine rep there...sure it's cause they are from Chicago, but yeah, they chose us to stay...or they are locked up there! Either way..."Hoosier" Guard Now? Oh yes, we all drive pick-ups, stick milkweed in our mouths, and throw cowpies...seriously, grow up. Indianapolis would probably have you scared in parts, and Fort Wayne has it's "ghett-letts" (Ghetto outlets, patent pending) Biloxi, MS is scary in some parts too...dirty south...right? Florida south of Orlando can get ya...and North can get cha in a redneck way...(See I approach both sides)

Ever seen Dog the bounty hunter? I've lived in Honolulu...(ice-heads abound) Been to most of the cities you've mentioned, and seen more gangs than I think alot of these so-called wannabies cruising around Aurora know about gangs...Let's face it, we've all become pretty fly for a white guy, and the younger generations all...well "white" No racism intended, if you don't get it, you probably shouldn't. Most of these kids had a real gun put to their face, and they'd cry.

Anyway, when did it become cool to represent a failure of society anyway? (I'm not above it, but why are we worshipping it, we are the richest country in the world, right? Why don't our kids push to represent people who have earned their way to the top, instead of stolen it...hmmm food for thought people)

By the way, here are some of the cities I have experienced...Not lived, but you don't have to get mugged by your neighbor to know a city.

1. San Diego
2. Los Angeles (surrounding area as well)
3. San Jose
4. Nashville
5. Honolulu
6. Denver
7. Biloxi
8. Miami
9. Ft Lauderdale
10. Key West (Ok, not all ghetto, but wierd)
11. Indianapolis
12. Detroit
13. Toledo
14. Columbus, OH
15. Birmingham
16. Alburquerque
17. Phoenix
18. Las Vegas
19. Atlanta
20. Chicago
21. New Orleans

Wow, so much for no city experience...open mouth, insert foot.
(add peanuts and m&ms for a tasty trail mix)

Last edited by Ghostgecko; 03-05-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Not done ranting!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times
I dont think visiting a city counts for anything in terms of "knowing a city". I could provide a long list of cities too but I cannot claim to "know" them. If you're basing your judgements on visiting a cty then you are obviously too quick to judge. This may be contributing to your bad experience here in Denver with people.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:47 PM

111 posts, read 258,078 times
I can't speak for how easy it may be to make friends in other cities, but I think the hard thing for a lot of folks about making friends in denver is the sheer diversity with transplants from so many different places. People from all over make friends in different ways, and with so many transplants you have to try all of them to make friends in denver. In other places that don't have such a mixture, there are probably simpler more common ways people make friends, denver however is like a city with everybody speaking different languages in this way.

Just my two cents, feel free to call me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver