Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 52,319 times

Advertisements

I think this has been covered before - but we are moving to Parker in two weeks (Canterberry Crossing) and need to figure out our communication services. Any recommendations for tv, phone and high speed internet? Are there any good bundles available? We currently enjoy unlimited long distance - which we would like to keep... and our initial look suggested that it was not possible with Quest and only Vonage? Vonage is digital? Does it require any special hook up? Also, is there not recycling service? (I thought I read on the Association site that you had to bring your recycling somewhere)... seems strange that there is not recycling pick up (we even have it in Texas which is not an environmentally conscious place!).

Final question: I have an 8 year old Passat. Someone said that snow tires would work just fine and not to worry about getting around. But my husband is insisting that we get a 4 wheel or all wheel drive. I'd like to get out there first before trying to deal with buying a new car and selling mine (too much going on here with the move to think about it!). Do you think I'll be okay with snow tires? And have I at least missed most of the snow by this time?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 06:16 AM

131 posts, read 492,617 times
Yes, you have missed most of if not all of the snow by now. NO you don't NEED a 4-wheel drive. Wait untill next winter and get some snow tires or switch to 4-wheel/all wheel if you want it then. Lived there for many years with a 4x4 and a 2wheel drive sedan. The sedan drove better than the 4x4's in all but blizzards (when I was out on the roads more for fun than need anyhow).

Old 03-16-2007, 10:53 AM

210 posts, read 1,344,965 times
I'm really not familiar with Vonage or Qwest or their bundle deals.... we use Comcast, which provides our TV and internet (we have the phone separately, because we didn't need the long-distance and other features, and it was cheaper to have Qwest continue to provide it). Regarding recycling, it depends on where you live.... some cities provide trash pickup and recycling, but in most areas it's done by private contractors (as I think the case is in Parker). Generally, though, the private contractors do offer recycling also. I don't know who offers trash pickup where you will be living, but it may be worth your time to find out and call the company to ask about recycling.
Your Passat should do just fine. Contrary to many of the stereotypes, we're not buried in snow 9 months of the year-- it's actually fairly rare to have snow accumulated on the streets, especially for long periods of time. March is technically our snowiest month, April is the second-snowiest, but things have shaped up to be pretty mild thus far (we must have filled our quotas earlier in the year!). I don't know that you will even need snow tires-- when driving in snow, what you need most is common sense.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:11 PM

257 posts, read 945,911 times
The cars I see most often in the ditch after a snow storm are the big trucks and SUVs. I drive a mini-van, and have never had trouble. I think it is more important to know HOW to drive in snow, than the type of vehicle you are actually driving. For example, the most danger when driving in snow conditions are bridges and overpasses, which accumulate alot of ice. No matter what type of car you have, the ice will be there. It is just knowing to slow down and take it easy. By the way, I have never owned snow tires either.

We have COMCAST, and it is $100 for our internet and expanded basic cable service. I think that it rather expensive. We do not have a home phone, because with cell phones it just isn't worth the added cost.

We used to have Vonage when my husband was living in a different state. For Vonage you must purchase a Vonage Box. There are many different types. It runs about $50, but often they run specials and rebates. We got ours for free after the rebate. The Vonage Box is then plugged into the cable plug in the wall, and a regular phone plugged into the Vonage box. I found the quality of the call just as good as a regular phone connection.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Front wheel drive is sufficient. AWD is better but like someone said above it doesnt snow there 9 months out of the year! In the Mts @ 7500+ ft it does. But not in the Denver metro area. And not every winter is like the one they just had!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
I can't help you on the services, but as far as cars go, the Subaru Outback is affectionately known as the Colorado Cadillac. We have been very happy with ours during one the snowiest winters on record.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-19-2007 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-19-2007, 01:01 AM

14 posts, read 154,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangymutt View Post
I think this has been covered before - but we are moving to Parker in two weeks (Canterberry Crossing) and need to figure out our communication services. Any recommendations for tv, phone and high speed internet? Are there any good bundles available? We currently enjoy unlimited long distance - which we would like to keep... and our initial look suggested that it was not possible with Quest and only Vonage? Vonage is digital? Does it require any special hook up? Also, is there not recycling service? (I thought I read on the Association site that you had to bring your recycling somewhere)... seems strange that there is not recycling pick up (we even have it in Texas which is not an environmentally conscious place!).

Final question: I have an 8 year old Passat. Someone said that snow tires would work just fine and not to worry about getting around. But my husband is insisting that we get a 4 wheel or all wheel drive. I'd like to get out there first before trying to deal with buying a new car and selling mine (too much going on here with the move to think about it!). Do you think I'll be okay with snow tires? And have I at least missed most of the snow by this time?

Thanks for any advice!

We live in CC and it's been super warm -- my flowers are already blooming! Your car will be fine, with good winter tires for next winter. We also use Comcast for High-Speed Internet, Local Phone, and Cable TV. I think we pay around $100-$150, though for some reason we have seperate bills for the phone. We just use our cell phone for long-distance. There is recycling through the waste pick-up people, for a fee -- unless they are just offering it to previous residents (but that would be strange....). The recycling program used to be included until this year, but now is $35/yr. Not too bad. They were using a company called BFI, or something like that, but you should get all that info from the HOA.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. We are actually thinking of moving to the East Coast and are home hunting this week.... Good luck with your move!

Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 79,181 times
I just sold my SUV (which i got before coming here "thinking" id need one) and manage just fine in a 2wd.

If i was worried about those 2-3 months a year when snow might be around and still wanted a 4wd, it would likely be a sedan version which would be less juicy on the gas.

We also use comcast for TV and internet - $160 seems to get us all of the channels and a pretty good speed broadband. Qwest dooes our fax line for around $12 per month on top (dont ask me why the Mrs arranged it that way).

Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 PM

85 posts, read 474,753 times
Great Questions Mangymutt,

We are also moving to Canterberry Crossing. I sent you a private message to your City-Data account.

This website and fellow Colordians are very helpful!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,002 times
Default 4 wheel drive

Your husband is correct. its true, we recieve over 320 days of sunshine a year here, so most of the time you will be ok. however, when we have storms, we really have storms. in the past it seems like CDOT has had a difficult time keeping the streets driveable. you buy a 4 wheel drive so that you have it when you need it. I dont usually use my 4 wheel drive, but when I am coming home after a long day of work, and the streets are so slick that people are leaving their cars on the side of the hill that they just cant climb, I am happy when you can press a button, feel the tires grab traction and slink on past the graveyard of empty cars. you laugh, but I see it all the time. sure you are going to pay a little more in gas, but their are advantages to 4x4's as well; they give you extra room for dogs and kids etc. (we need it with 2 dogs and 2 kids)also there are a lot of activities that you can take advantage of with a 4 wheel drive that many people miss out on in our beautiful Rocky Mountains. yes manage with 2 wheel drive most of the time, its those few times when you just want to get home, and your husband is not going to be happy when he has to drive across town to come and get you. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver