Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Not flamed, it is just not accurate. There are tons of single family homes, generally old vics and ugly denver squares.

No, just maybe not EVERY requirement.

Lowry was an old Air Force base that was decomissioned and has been turned into a mixed development project. It remains very spread out in terms of where they have built, but it meets your requirement of quiet and close to the city. Yes it is safe -- Denver overall is safe anywhere, certainly anywhere in your price range.

You might also consider Stapleton if bikeability or easier bus lines to downtown proper are a requirement.

I never mentioned places that Vega did because they are a bit less quiet. The Cheesman Park area (Congress Park), Washington Park (eh personally) and even parts of Uptown are options. Closer to downtown (some within walking distance) but they are not really the quiet space you are looking for.

Map of Denver neighborhoods for future reference should folks speak in terms of "neighborhoods."

http://www.denvergov.com/Portals/144/documents/DENVER_NEIGH_Map.pdf (broken link)
Thanks so much for the map. I printed it, and am sure I will be referring to it often. Is the Lowry area you mentioned "Lowry Field" on the map?

Quiet is pretty high up there on my list of requirements, so you read me right in that regard. I'm one of those strange birds who is a city girl through and through, but I hate noise. Yes, it makes it hard to find a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 AM

Just wondering: What's the significance of the east/west I-25 division? I see many posts that refer to being on one side or the other of I-25, and can't figure out if it distinguishes anything but geography. I notice that most of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned are east of I-25? Is that significant?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Just wondering: What's the significance of the east/west I-25 division? I see many posts that refer to being on one side or the other of I-25, and can't figure out if it distinguishes anything but geography. I notice that most of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned are east of I-25? Is that significant?
There is some significance to this. Both I-25 and I-70 can act as a barrier sometimes, cutting off the neighborhoods on the other side. The "core" of Denver is definitely east of I-25, no question about that.

That said, "North Denver" -- which is actually northwestern Denver -- (marked on your handy map with Highland, West Highland, Berkeley, etc) is characterized by very good neighborhoods, and is pretty well connected with a number of bridges over I-25 (Speer, 15th, 20th, 38th, and the new 16th street pedestrian bridge). Also, that section of South Denver west of I-25 but east of Santa Fe (which contains the University of Denver and Platt Park) is also a very good area, even though it's west (actually south) of I-25. Notice that I-25 actually zigs and zags through south Denver.

I would say that western and southwestern Denver (south of Colfax, west of I-25/Santa Fe) have suffered from being cut off from the core of the city of Denver, though parts are improving nonetheless. Additionally, The part of Denver northeast of I-70 has a similar issue, cut off from the core city of Denver, though the portion due north of Stapleton has potential.

Back to your original question, you'll find find that much of the city of Denver, including most of the areas previously mentioned, take on the characteristics of "streetcar suburbs", back from the days when Denver had one of the country's most extensive streetcar networks. Many of the neighborhood retail clusters are left over around major streetcar stops. Denver only has a relatively small central core that is heavily urbanized.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Looked up Lowry. Here's an example of what I found: https://property.onesite.realpage.co...siteid=1011896

These properties are certainly within my price range, and are consistent for what I was told I could expect. Would this be typical for Denver, or is it an undesirable part of the city?
These Lowry apartments are in a nice area -you could walk to the grocery store, Starbucks, restaurants, trails, a 24 Hr. Fitness, and other stores in the town center. The building is some old Air Force building that was converted into apartments, so I'm assuming they're reasonably new on the inside. Not sure about noise though, but the area is safe, nice, and no more than 15 min. from downtown by car. You could also take a bus downtown from here.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
There is some significance to this. Both I-25 and I-70 can act as a barrier sometimes, cutting off the neighborhoods on the other side. The "core" of Denver is definitely east of I-25, no question about that.

That said, "North Denver" -- which is actually northwestern Denver -- (marked on your handy map with Highland, West Highland, Berkeley, etc) is characterized by very good neighborhoods, and is pretty well connected with a number of bridges over I-25 (Speer, 15th, 20th, 38th, and the new 16th street pedestrian bridge). Also, that section of South Denver west of I-25 but east of Santa Fe (which contains the University of Denver and Platt Park) is also a very good area, even though it's west (actually south) of I-25. Notice that I-25 actually zigs and zags through south Denver.

I would say that western and southwestern Denver (south of Colfax, west of I-25/Santa Fe) have suffered from being cut off from the core of the city of Denver, though parts are improving nonetheless. Additionally, The part of Denver northeast of I-70 has a similar issue, cut off from the core city of Denver, though the portion due north of Stapleton has potential.

Back to your original question, you'll find find that much of the city of Denver, including most of the areas previously mentioned, take on the characteristics of "streetcar suburbs", back from the days when Denver had one of the country's most extensive streetcar networks. Many of the neighborhood retail clusters are left over around major streetcar stops. Denver only has a relatively small central core that is heavily urbanized.
Thanks, that's useful to know. To avoid the heavily urbanized core you mentioned, which neighborhoods should I leave off the list? I've done high-rise living back east on a street where a bus ran every ten minutes and I could hear every trip, and although the convenience was unbeatable, it's very nearly the opposite of what I'm looking for this time around.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
These Lowry apartments are in a nice area -you could walk to the grocery store, Starbucks, restaurants, trails, a 24 Hr. Fitness, and other stores in the town center. The building is some old Air Force building that was converted into apartments, so I'm assuming they're reasonably new on the inside. Not sure about noise though, but the area is safe, nice, and no more than 15 min. from downtown by car. You could also take a bus downtown from here.
I spent a lot of time looking at floorplans and pricing last night, and I liked what I saw, although I'm not sure I want to live in such a large complex. I will definitely have to check out it out when I'm in town next month.

Are 4-16 unit buildings commonplace in Denver, or should expect to find mega-complexes, high-rises, and the aforementioned Edwardian mansion conversions for the most part?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

6,792 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I'm not sure that this will meet your price range for a 2br, but you might want to look at City Park West as well. There are plenty of restaurants and places to get coffee along 17th avenue (east of downtown) and there is also a fine foods store on 17th (Merczyk's?). There is also a regular Safeway grocery store within a few blocks. It's near the urban core, but not exactly IN it.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm not sure that this will meet your price range for a 2br, but you might want to look at City Park West as well. There are plenty of restaurants and places to get coffee along 17th avenue (east of downtown) and there is also a fine foods store on 17th (Merczyk's?). There is also a regular Safeway grocery store within a few blocks. It's near the urban core, but not exactly IN it.
I will take a look.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming. I have a lot to learn in a very short time.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,071 times
City Park West / Uptown sounds a bit to busy.

Lowry is a huge area, the eastern edge is at least a couple of miles from the place you referenced in the same development.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
City Park West / Uptown sounds a bit to busy.

Lowry is a huge area, the eastern edge is at least a couple of miles from the place you referenced in the same development.
What are the communities north of North Capital Hill-City Park West-City Park-South Park Hill like? What about the westernmost strip of the city? No one has mentioned anything out there? Are they industrial parks, no-go zones, single-family homes only, or what?

Also, when you say "downtown," which communities does that capture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver