Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM

16 posts, read 76,520 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be relocating to Colorado for a job I have found in Golden. With only one of us working at first we need to try and keep rent under $1200 and westminster looks reasonable. Questions:

• How is the commute from Golden to westminster?

• Considering that my partner will be looking for work in the denver area, would westminster be too far north?

• We own two front wheel drive vehicles, will this present a problem?

• Any suggestions for other towns to look into renting a house?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
where in Golden? What about Lakewood or Broomfield?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:41 PM

I'm not exactly sure in Golden. It's for liberty mutual and I have been unable to find the physical address on line. Won't know if the position is definite til tomorrow, but pretty confident. I have found a property that's at 20th and Wadsworth also another on 105th and wadsworth? Do you have any knowledge of these areas? thanks again

Old 03-15-2009, 07:17 PM

31 posts, read 133,265 times
Live in Golden. I have lived there twice before, and would move there again in a second. Small town feel, easy commut to anywhere (I-70 north, 6th Ave east, 4-70 south) and the mountains in your backyard.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
The the commute from Westminster to Golden is not the easiest. There's no direct way to get from A to B, although there are many back (and very beautiful) routes. I live close to Sheridan and 120th, for me to get to Golden, it's a 40 minute drive without traffic.

If it were me, I would look at Arvada, especially close to old town Arvada which is close to I-70 and a 20 minute commute to Golden. Arvada is also not too far of a commute to downtown and we have some great public transit.

Don't get me wrong, I love Westminster, but IMO the shorter the commute time the better the quality of life.

Golden itself is also great, if you can find something in your price range you might consider that as well.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM

any thoughts on lakewood and the commute to golden?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreespirit74 View Post
I'm not exactly sure in Golden. It's for liberty mutual and I have been unable to find the physical address on line. Won't know if the position is definite til tomorrow, but pretty confident. I have found a property that's at 20th and Wadsworth also another on 105th and wadsworth? Do you have any knowledge of these areas? thanks again
Liberty Mutual had announced the acquisition of Safeco Insurance about 6 months ago. I am willing to bet that your job will be at the large Safeco Insurance Complex in Lakewood because of corporate consolidation. The office is at the Denver West Park, off of West Colfax. Many of those businesses have a Golden Address, as it is right on the border with Golden:

Safeco
14123 Denver West Parkway
Golden, CO 80401-3116

The Denver West Office Park is a very nice place to work. It is well landscaped with Conifer trees and you can really feel Colorado, working in these offices. In addition, it very close to good shopping and restaurants.

If that is the case, then you have many good options for a place to live. I would suggest looking into Applewood which is a great area where Wheat Ridge, Lakewood and Golden meet, along Youngfield. You can easily get to the Safeco Complex by walking, biking or a very short drive west on West 20th. I would not bother to consider Westminster. There are so many nice areas with reasonable rents in West Lakewood/Golden, Wheat Ridge or Arvada. 20th and Wadsworth is a very good area, good neighborhood, and you would be right down the road from work. 105th and Wadsworth--forget that---it is too far, isolated, along a busy north Wadsworth, no real neighborhood.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-15-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
My DH once worked at Denver West. You have a lot of options available to you if that is where the job is. I would say you could live as far east as I-25. We in fact lived in west Denver part of the time he worked there, on 24th Ave. and Osceola St. It was about 7-8 miles from home to office; he often rode his bike, and there was at the time a bus that went west on Colfax that he could take. Then we fell in love with Louisville. That was about 18 miles (I think), no biking, but express bus available from Boulder with transfers to Louisville if I didn't feel like going to S. Boulder to pick him up. I would go for something reasonably close, at least at first.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
Westminster is a nice area, but the commute is not the easiest.. as the previous poster stated. You would be best taking any back roads to get to Golden.
I would look at living in Golden or even Morrison..

I live in the Northern area of Denver myself.. I would stay away from anything "central" as far as the metro area is concerned.. just my opinion. the 105th Wadsworth.. im not to familiar with.. i usually run around the 104th/us 36 area... nice area.. Flat Iron shopping is nice and easy to get to...

Good luck with your move... Oh on the snow.. don't worry about it.. your cars will do fine.. the bad snow we get is usually along the foothills and in the mountains.. (Golden/Boulder/etc..).. Its only snowed like 3 times this year.. ha-ha.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
I'm with Livecontent...Applewood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver