Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2006, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,363 times

Advertisements

I am a college student in Columbus, Ohio planning on attending law school, I was hoping after law school to finally move out west (If I'm not already attending school there). I am very interested in living in Denver in the future but I lack a lot of knowledge on the city and state of Colorado. I find the natural beauty, numerous rankings on "best of" lists,population and job growth very attractive. I am both an African-American and gay man so obviously I am looking for both a progressive and tolerant enviroment to live. I have heard that Colorado is chuck full of religious fundamentalist nuts (especially in Colorado Springs). Is this true? And if so, is the Denver area also like this? I also am somewhat confused about the weather. Are Colorado winters unbearable? I'm not a huge fan of winter or snow but if the Denver area offers all that I've heard, I'm willing to be a trooper and deal with it. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
come for a visit and see for yourself. The springs is well know for it's missionarys & military; denver is much more liberal.

Your race/sex/preference is nobody's business but your own.

Good luck in law school.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,363 times
btw no offense to anyone in here with religion haha also thanks anybody else have any feedback? it'd be appreciated

Old 07-25-2006, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,918 times
If you're looking for a progressive or tolerant environment, you can always check out Boulder, a suburb of Denver. Boulder and Colorado Springs are as opposite as day and night. Residents of the two cities disagree on everything including the color of the sky. Colorado weather is.....unpredictable. Denver is hot and dry. The only time that Denver gets really cold is in January, but I grew up in the mountains.

Cre8engr

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
Areas that come to mind where you wont have to worry about being gay is Denver, Boulder and Durango. I know Trinidad is known as the transexual capital with most of the sex changes done there but I think most just come there for the surgery and after they recover leave but they would be used to alternative lifestyles there. I know Aspen has quite a few gays but it is extremely expensive. I also know Durango has gays. I know several gay couples who are my friends there and it is liberal but it is not a large city but a medium size city. The conservative cities tend to be Colorado Springs (fundamentalist), Grand Junction (Mormons), Pueblo (Catholics) and I would think the Front Range small towns say like Burlington, would tend to be more conservative with all the farmers. Keep in mind you will find both liberal and conservatives in all cities in Colorado but I am talking about majorities. As far as being African American, I think most anywhere in Colorado you would be accepted.
The weather in Colorado except where it is way up in altitude, I mean like 10,000 feet up or the extreme north, is not bad even if it snows, it never does feel cold to me. I have lived back East too and WOW the humidity combined with cold equals frigid. The dry climate makes it comfortable. The futher south, it tends to be milder. The Front Range can get hot in the summer but not bad compared to other states. I would much rather spend winter in Colorado then in any state back East.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 07-25-2006 at 11:49 PM..

Old 07-26-2006, 10:17 AM

137 posts, read 774,518 times
If you do decide you like Colorado Springs, the southwest/west area is our most liberal (Manitou Springs and the west side are very "artsy"). That area has a very cool feel to it. As for me, I'm one of those right-wing conservatives, and I live on the north side of Colorado Springs with all the rest of me. What stinks for me is that most other conservatives-in general-don't have a great appriciation for the arts- so the arts are really lacking on this side of town. Downtown would be considered "west side". It's been kind of a blah downtown, but they are making some nice changes, and I think it might come along. Most of the law firms here are downtown, and most are old, stuffy offices.
The winters here are really not bad. We don't get a tremendous amount of snow, and we have a lot of mild, nice winter days... but the winters feel LONG to me. We have our first snow in September or October, and our last snow usually hits in late April- May. That leaves only June, July and August for definate non-winter months. But they are nice winters. We can be out in our shorts in January- everything's just dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver