Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM

32 posts, read 121,525 times

Advertisements

Seems like Denver is a great open minded place. Sounds like a place I should have moved to years ago. The more I read the more excited I become. This may be a dumb question but are there any agencies that show or help newcomers (who do not want to buy homes) get settled in? Whoa...I think I just had a great business idea......woo hoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Am neither. But you can marry me
You are too funny!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes33 View Post
I'm a single black female in my early 30's and I'm getting ready to move to Denver ALONE for a job and I'm scared to death.

First I'm moving from a suburb outside of Atlanta which I have lived all my life and we a have a bit of history with racial tension so I'm wondering what race relations are like?

I'm am not a big city girl so I don't want to live in downtown Denver however I don't wanna move too far from the job as I am a bit worried about driving on snow so are there any suburbs near Denver that are NICE and SAFE that I can use backroads to commute to work? Oh and I prefer living in townhome apartment cause I have 3 chihuahuas and find that this works the best since they like to run around a lot. Are there a lot of these in Denver? Of course renting a house would do too.

I have lived in white areas and have no problem with this BUT I certainly don't want to move in an area with rednecks (hope that's not offensive) who aren't receptive of blacks so I'm wondering how would whites react if I moved into their neighborhood?

Are white men and hispanic men receptive to dating and marrying black women in Denver? Though Atlanta has made strides in this area, we still have a long way to go!

Any good diverse Churches out in the burbs?

Can anyone give a good comparison to Denver vs Atlanta?

Can you get around in Denver or outside of Denver using backroads or do you have to take interstates?

Thanks a bunch!!!
We're in the same demo (except I'm a bit older), and I just did what you're doing (except without a job), and I think it will turn out to be the best decision I ever made. I haven't encountered any racial crap, and frankly, I don't expect to. I just don't go through the world anticipating that sort of thing, so if and when it does happen, it probably just sails right over my head...and that's just fine with me. The people I have encountered have been nothing but kind and welcoming.

The area where I live is within the city limits, but has a semi-rustic/suburban feel. I'm not intimidated by urban density, but I am tired of it, so this suits me quite well. Lots of townhouse-style apartment complexes over here, and this one happens to have a very liberal pet policy. Send me a direct message if you would like more info.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Race relations are definitely more mellow here. Denver is a real mixing bowl, and it doesn't have all the hang ups that the East Coast has about racial stuff.

The amount of days you'll have to drive in snow are minimal. Maybe two weeks out of the year. When it snows in Denver, it melts off two days later. And contrary to popular opinion, it doesnt snow often in Denver.

Denver (and boulder) are probably the best places in colorado for you to move into a white neighborhood. That's because Denver (and Boulder) are mixing bowls as I mentioned, with a lot of differences races living there. Other towns in Colorado are definitely more "redneck"ish.

The main differences between Atlanta and Denver are as follows:
Atlanta: large black population, humid, low elevation, three times the population of Denver
Denver: mixing bowl (mostly whites and hispanics), dry, high elevation

There's only two interstates in Denver (I-70 and I-25). MOST of your driving will not be on the interstate. You can completely avoid the interstate if you want. There's no need to use it.

Don't be scared to move to Denver. You'll like it.

Quote:

Can you get around in Denver or outside of Denver using backroads or do you have to take interstates?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
Quote:

I recently moved to Denver from AZ, but before AZ I spent a couple of years in GA. I think you will find Denver to be a much more hospitable place than Atlanta in general. The racial discrimination issues that you run into in the South just don't exist here at the same level in my opinion.

Also, I think you will also find that Denver tends to provide for a naturally higher quality of life in general. The people here are more educated than most of the country from what I have seen and an educated population normally picks better leaders at the polls. The result here is a remarkably clean, well managed city overall. The people are also friendly, interesting and fairly diverse. My guess is that you will end up loving Denver. Most people do.

If you need any help locating a place to live just let me know. I just went through that process and as a result I have very recent information on housing costs and neighborhoods in the Denver area.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver