Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Is this for real?

FBI searches home of Colorado man in terror probe - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090917/ap_on_re_us/us_nyc_terror - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
For real as in the prosecution of some poor ****** they THINK is a terrorist. Oh yes, for real. The whole thing really irritates me. Because no matter what, this guy is already deemed a terrorist. So if they find out they were wrong, then what? This guy is screwed.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
For real as in the prosecution of some poor ****** they THINK is a terrorist. Oh yes, for real. The whole thing really irritates me. Because no matter what, this guy is already deemed a terrorist. So if they find out they were wrong, then what? This guy is screwed.
muslim extremists are alive and well in the united states.
insinuating that they might exist is not a wild accusation.
attempts to shame americans for questioning the obvious on CDF will prove
ineffective.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM

oh and god forbid Americans have any shame. After all, choices made by Americans are always right and screw everyone else.

Of course muslim extremists are alive and well --- what does that have to do with causing a media frenzy at the expense of another American suspected of a crime? Or does he not count?

Apparently American justice only applies to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
muslim extremists are alive and well in the united states.
insinuating that they might exist is not a wild accusation.
attempts to shame americans for questioning the obvious on CDF will prove
ineffective.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
I understand what you are saying wanttomoveeast, but to get technical this guy is not an American citizen.

I do think the media is jumping the gun on stories nowadays.......

Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Even if it's mistaken identity, the risk is worth taking. Sounds like the dude flew to Peshawar a lot. It seems like a tip they received from someone they arrested somewhere else.

The big cities have been heavily beefed up in security since 9/11. Naturally the buggers will look for a softer spot

Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Highlands, is there information on Zazi that he is illegally here? This is what the article says that Antlered posted.
Folsom says Zazi, 24, was born in Afghanistan in 1985, moved to Pakistan at age 7 and emigrated to the United States in 1999. Zazi's aunt had said earlier that he was born in Pakistan and grew up in Queens, N.Y.
Antlered: I don't believe in your first statement. "It's worth the risk" is a slippery slope to me. Next thing you know, it'll be one of us because we look a certain way or act a certain way. I believe either you stand by the societies rules or you begin to do just whatever you want to and there are no rules. This particular society uses a document called the Constitution in which we are all born with inherent rights. If we are just going to throw that out and interrogate whomever, why bother with civil rights?

I'm not questioning whether he's a terrorist, I just dislike the media frenzy as I said before.

It'll be very interesting to see what comes of this. Seems so sketchy. I guess if their intelligence is dead on, then great. If they are just doing what I think they are doing then it's a sad day for this poor fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I understand what you are saying wanttomoveeast, but to get technical this guy is not an American citizen.

I do think the media is jumping the gun on stories nowadays.......

Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM

227 posts, read 1,009,200 times
Do you REALLY think that this guy is as innocent as the driven snow? Is the FBI knocking your door down? Probibly not. Probibly not because you aren't giving people a reason to think you are up to no good. I am so irritated when people automatically accuse law enforcement of misconduct just because someone being questioned or accused is of a different race. This guy was not picked out of the "list of different people" for harassment because he looks like a terrorist. He was picked up for a reason. Muslim extremists are out there plotting more crap than you could ever imagine. But wait... I bet we deserve to be attacked.

By the way... The media is not jumping the gun. They are reporting a real story.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
Do you REALLY think that this guy is as innocent as the driven snow? Is the FBI knocking your door down? Probibly not. Probibly not because you aren't giving people a reason to think you are up to no good. I am so irritated when people automatically accuse law enforcement of misconduct just because someone being questioned or accused is of a different race. This guy was not picked out of the "list of different people" for harassment because he looks like a terrorist. He was picked up for a reason. Muslim extremists are out there plotting more crap than you could ever imagine. But wait... I bet we deserve to be attacked.

By the way... The media is not jumping the gun. They are reporting a real story.
I can imagine quite a bit. But that's the problem, isn't it. We can all imagine quite a bit, and it terrifies the living bejeezus out of us. The man has not been convicted of anything - in fact he hasn't even been arrested. This story is nothing more than trying to grab a scoop in case something happens. Did you read the article? Did it frighten you? If so, that means you've been terrorized. The terrorists can chalk up another victory. You're scared. You (not necessarily you personally, Bullfish) are willing to allow the possibility of terror to be justification for kicking in the door. Should we start calling in every suspicious thing we see? It starts with noticing your Pakistani neighbor behaving "oddly" (or is it just a way you're not accustomed to?) Then it's your Turk neighbor. Maybe the Armenian or Russian. That Czech guy seems a little odd...he's not a citizen, well I don't think so. What about that Mexican? And someone please tell me why the government always "knows what they're doing" when it comes to "fighting terror" or "keeping us safe", but is completely inept when it comes to (in the interest of staying on topic) "other issues."

Furthermore, is the press thus complicit in this because they have aided the terrorists by keeping you informed of all the "maybes" that are out there? "...and why you and your family may be in mortal danger right this minute...we'll have more after this commercial break." I think that sums up the motivation of most news organizations right there.

I, for one, refuse to be a scared American. Could THEY hurt me or my family? Could THEY affect our quality and way of life? Sure they could. Will THEY destroy our freedom? Hell no. I for one refuse to live in fear of the POSSIBILITY that something could happen, and I'm sure not going to compromise values of human rights and dignity (which is exactly what THEY want to see) because of MAYBE.

It really is time we Americans stopped being afraid of everything and started embracing the good that is out there while we're still alive on this Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: