Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 AM

8 posts, read 15,899 times

Advertisements

hi i did a search for strasburg but didnt find what i needed. do you think buying a house in strasburg is a good i idea? the houses in "wolf creek run" are very affordable and newer built. i would never buy in green valley ranch but wolf creek seems to be a safer bet. i work near i-225 and i-70 so it would be an easy commute although perhaps too long. i cant afford anything decent in denver metromy price max is about 130k. so i was wondering about your thoughts on strasburg((anyything helps).thanks much.perhaps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
What you see is what you get. Suburban-sprawl type homes in a small town on the plains.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 AM

305 posts, read 770,126 times
Default Have you considered Aurora?

Hello!

I don't know much about Strassburg except that it seems waaay out there. If you'd like to stay near the metro area, you might want to consider the city of Aurora. There are many houses in good areas that can be bought here for around $130 or less and you wouldn't be very far away from the amenities of Denver.

You don't mention if you have kids, but you might want to look into the school situation in areas you're considering. Aurora schools vary widely. If schools won't be an issue, there are lots of nice neighborhoods in Aurora in that price range.

I know a wonderful 94-year-old lady who just sold her well-maintained little brick 1940s-50s bungalow (3 bd. 1 ba.) in Aurora for around $120. Her neighborhood has many residents who have lived there for decades.

Lots of luck in your search!

Joanna

Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
I'm actually surprised more people don't consider living in the towns east of Denver; it's the one direction left where you can find large lots for cheap and still be within commuting distance (barring severe weather) of the metro area. In severe blizzards I-70 is often shut down east of Aurora. I took a drive out on I-70/US-36 last summer and checked out everything from Watkins to Arriba (and no, unfortunately I didnt take my camera so no photo tours). I must have missed "Wolf Creek Run," but I remember seeing similar subdivisions in Bennett-- (which is now big enough to have its own King Soopers). I went on their website, looks like another city-like subdivision, except way out east. Prices do look very cheap. Only thing is, I thought the whole point of living out on the eastern plains was to be able to own a larger property, horses/animals, no HOAs/restrictions-- not just the same boxed-in development you could get in Aurora.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times
Why not try somewhere like Brighton or Lochbuie if you want to avoid GVR and work at I-70 and 225.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM

8 posts, read 15,899 times
thanks for your thoughts on strasburgbarring the guy complaining about "urban sprawl". i get so sick of those liberal code words. i have considered brighton and lochbuie. i like both areas. brighton is 20 miles from my work place, strasburg is 32.strasburg is a straight shot down the interstate but damn it seems to take so long.brighton doesnt have an easy route though.270 to 76 to hwy 85.it takes probably as long as strasburg. brighton is not affordable as one would think. hard to find anything under 150k.do you think brighton has a good future? i think firestone has a bright future but commute is too long.sorry there is something about the idea of aurora that makes me feel discouaged, combination of many factors; reputation, demographics, red headed stepchild.just cant,bring,myself to buy there.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longplant View Post
thanks for your thoughts on strasburgbarring the guy complaining about "urban sprawl". i get so sick of those liberal code words. i have considered brighton and lochbuie. i like both areas. brighton is 20 miles from my work place, strasburg is 32.strasburg is a straight shot down the interstate but damn it seems to take so long.brighton doesnt have an easy route though.270 to 76 to hwy 85.it takes probably as long as strasburg. brighton is not affordable as one would think. hard to find anything under 150k.do you think brighton has a good future? i think firestone has a bright future but commute is too long.sorry there is something about the idea of aurora that makes me feel discouaged, combination of many factors; reputation, demographics, red headed stepchild.just cant,bring,myself to buy there.
I wasn't complaining. That's what it is. It looks funny butted right up to a small rural town, especially that far out. But you can call it whatever you want.

Liberal code words? LOL. Perhaps I should have said "red-headed stepchild friendly". But then what kind of code word would that have been?

Re: Aurora's reputation, what would people think if you told them you live in Strasburg? Would that elicit a better response than Aurora? Aurora isn't all bad, it isn't even mostly bad.

Demographics? There are neighborhoods in Aurora free of liberal code words and full of red-headed stepchildren. Can you not afford them?

I'd recommend finding the most suitable place (considering your wants/needs/price), close to work. I'm guessing you work in the I-70/I-270 industrial corridor. Have you looked at Thornton?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
I drive to Bennett a lot for my job. Bennett is about six miles west of Strasburg. It takes 45 minutes tops from my downtown office in rush hour traffic. I think Bennett and Strasburg are great little towns, but I don't know anything about how good the schools are. Both towns are located in both Arapahoe and Adams Counties, which I assume means that the kids go to different schools in different school districts.

One problem I would see is that I-70 closes down at Airpark Road in a blizzard. So there could be times that you couldn't make it home (I wouldn't drive out that way in a snowstorm anyway).

Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 PM

23 posts, read 84,879 times
Quote:
thanks for your thoughts on strasburgbarring the guy complaining about "urban sprawl". i get so sick of those liberal code words.
Liberal code for what? You can't afford to buy a house yet but you figure you should be able to trade our for now cheap gas and hours of your life for such a "right?"

You shun Aurora which encompasses a huge and diverse area with such ease too.

I'd say visit Strassburg, you will find a small town that is not all that warm to outsiders -- just warning.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I drive to Bennett a lot for my job. Bennett is about six miles west of Strasburg. It takes 45 minutes tops from my downtown office in rush hour traffic. I think Bennett and Strasburg are great little towns, but I don't know anything about how good the schools are. Both towns are located in both Arapahoe and Adams Counties, which I assume means that the kids go to different schools in different school districts.

One problem I would see is that I-70 closes down at Airpark Road in a blizzard. So there could be times that you couldn't make it home (I wouldn't drive out that way in a snowstorm anyway).
Sound like an accurate description. Each has it's own school district that doesn't depend on county (they cross county lines to include areas both north and south of town).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver