Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM

389 posts, read 671,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
funksobro,

Honest question. What value do you think a contribution like the one above brings to this forum? (or do you not care?)
A city's collective attitude towards others (other people and other cities) is very relevant to the discussion at hand. Apparently, Ronnie Jonez has noticed this as well. I only joined here because: 1) He was making some valid points that nobody else wanted to hear, and 2) I've felt this way about Des Moines' increasingly unmanageable superiority complex since the late 1980s.

It was nice to see somebody express their honest feelings in a hostile forum. I am doing the same. If this bothers you, perhaps it's because the truth is hitting a little to close for comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
Again, while there is some truth in RJ's posts, it tends to be stretched or mangled in some way. For the most part, DSM residents know exactly what their city is, and what it isn't. When it comes to necessities for daily living, DSM offers everything they could want, but when they want a more cosmopolitan flavor, Chicago is 6 hours east on I-80.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
funk
It seems that you & capital & I grew up in the same general area of Iowa. So it's disappointing to note that your tone on this thread has hit a brick wall & not progressed & contributed value or anything edifying to the conversation since your initial posts.
Are you actually projecting your own self concept here, as in that last post about "self-aggrandizing..."?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
funk
It seems that you & capital & I grew up in the same general area of Iowa. So it's disappointing to note that your tone on this thread has hit a brick wall & not progressed & contributed value or anything edifying to the conversation since your initial posts.
Are you actually projecting your own self concept here, as in that last post about "self-aggrandizing..."?
And that is the problem. People in DSM know it's not a perfect place. I disliked it so much I moved to WDM in the mid 80's. But the constant whinging by posters who really should have something to do other than lambast a decent city is just plain boring. Except when the posts are so stupid you can't help but laugh.

You do provide entertainment from time to time.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM

Tek
Do you still live in W.D.M?
I wonder if you or anyone else posting here on this thread that started out with the op sharing new population estimates for Des Moines & the other cities in the state,can tell me about the current state of home building in the city proper?
I know that the southeast area in and around Ewing Park (the park that use to have a lot of lilac bushes) really started building up in new subdivisions 20 years ago. Is that generally where most of the single famiy homes & growth is occurring in the city?
And what about the several square mile strip of land in Warren County that Des Moines annexed during that last decade? Is there anything going on there in building?
I am aware that the number of permits took a hit in the city and in the suburbs with the advent of the recession.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
funk
The brick wall was erected when you all began attacking me personally and accusing me of being Ronnie Jonez. I'm not RJ, but I do share his general outlook on this Des Moines mentality thing. I know other people who don't post here who also get a kick (and a minor annoyance) out of this "Des Moines trumps everything else" campaign which has surfaced over the past 15 years.

Sorry you don't like that, but I'm not going to tell you what you'd like to hear. As much as I seek your validation and acceptance (that is Grade A sarcasm...in case you didn't know) I have to post what I honestly believe on this topic.

So I am. Now please go back to attacking me personally and stating how I'm the one with no "valuable" contributions.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
Apparently it's unfathomable to think one other person doesn't believe DSM is the center of the universe.

What's not understood, is that the entire "DesMoinesisnotboring.com" mentality has been the baseline for years now. Basically, it's NYC/LA/Paris/Tokyo in a smaller package.

Des Moines Art Center: World Class Art in Des Moines

Comparing the art center in Des Moines to internationally known museums in NYC. It's somehow within standard deviation because there are some works by famous artists there.

You just don't see this type of mentality (to the same extent) by similar sized cities. I'm sure Madison has a good art museum too for it's size, but I still highly doubt the "we're so big city" mentality is as strong there (regardless how smug Madison wants to be). It's impossible. Madison might exaggerate it's liberalism a bit more, but outside of campus it's a culturally conservative city like Des Moines, even if politically blue. The midwest is a culturally conservative region.

Omaha, Iowa City & Cedar Rapids also have good art museums - but they wouldn't want you to know that in Des Moines. Only NYC is a fair comparison. There's almost a Pavlonian response by local media (Datebook,DMJuice,Register) to constantly do this, the self-pandering can actually be a bit insufferable.

You also have to factor in how the corporations & young professionals group are tied together...basically "the scene" in Des Moines, and how they feed into this. Everything in Des Moines is spun as this secret society of young professionals, when it's really just small-town natives pretending they're in a huge city now.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM

funk
I would appreciate it if you would not include me in your broad "...you all.." generalization. I have not attacked you personally, unless you consider the fact that I took your own broad, "self aggrandizing" generalization, that you flung at Iowans, as a personal attack & turrned it around toward you in the form of a question. And you may recall that I originally treated your first post here with the utmost respect although I disagreed with a major tenet in it.
After that point though you showered me with sarcasm & attempted to put me in my place intellectually, mostly because you categorized me as a small town guy stuck in and over-awed by Des moines. I'm still chuckling over that.
I have been all over the city-data forum in threads from probably 20 or more states & you right now are the most negative-sounding person I have encountered in my 3 years on the forum. Congrats, you accomplished that milestone with only 1 day ofposting here!
I really don't care what you think of Des Moines as I beleive that you probably have a number of personal issues that are showing themselves here.
Some of us would now like to resume in the topic addressed originally by the op.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
A city's collective attitude towards others (other people and other cities) is very relevant to the discussion at hand. Apparently, Ronnie Jonez has noticed this as well. I only joined here because: 1) He was making some valid points that nobody else wanted to hear, and 2) I've felt this way about Des Moines' increasingly unmanageable superiority complex since the late 1980s.

It was nice to see somebody express their honest feelings in a hostile forum. I am doing the same. If this bothers you, perhaps it's because the truth is hitting a little to close for comfort.
I'm not sure you've quantified what "value" this brings to the discussion, but I will challenge you on the bolded sentence above.

How is this a "hostile forum"? Can you be specific? Is the forum really hostile (which would suggest there are attacks amoungst multiple posters) or is there just one person who generally is called out for making broad brush attacks where accuracy in content is questioned?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
You also have to factor in how the corporations & young professionals group are tied together...basically "the scene" in Des Moines, and how they feed into this. Everything in Des Moines is spun as this secret society of young professionals, when it's really just small-town natives pretending they're in a huge city now.
Like I said earlier, Ronnie, you've pretty much nailed it to the wall.

By the way, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to pretend you've made it in the "Big City" by having a life in Des Moines. Everybody's world is relative to their own life experiences. For many of the small-town kids now living in the metro, Des Moines is the biggest city they'll ever see. For them, it really isn't an act.

Unfortunately, that limited experience with the world has led to a skewed view of neighboring metropolitan areas...especially those within Iowa who can't boast a state capitol, 45-story building, or a mall with an Apple Store. Their world is contained entirely between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and in some cases, not even that far out. Illinois and Minnesota are foreign countries that don't really count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines