Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times

Advertisements

There is something a little strange about mid-sized cities thinking they're basically NYC or LA (just as liberal, artistic, & cultured - minus the traffic and "big city problems") in a smaller package. If enough people follow that mantra - it becomes true, and that's happened in Des Moines. It's literally Narn, IA.

Omaha & Madison, possibly more in Madison than Omaha, but probably not nearly as much.

Even bigger cities have a more realistic view of themselves, there's definitely a certain dynamic to mid-sized cities that goes unnoticed since most believe in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 03:57 PM

389 posts, read 671,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Even so, I'm glad that that this was posted because it's always interesting to see population statistics but it does seem cocky. It's a small annoyance and not even worth arguing. BTW that was originally intended to be a joke, not malicious.
Just one day into this site, I've discovered that the Des Moines crowd here doesn't have a sense of humor about anything. They also seem to reflect this pathological insecurity about how their city is perceived by outsiders. It's amusing on the surface, yet a little creepy if one digs into the psyche behind it.

So, everything has to be the BIGGEST...the BEST...the FASTEST-GROWING...name your superlative, and it's probably going to appear on a thread title here.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Just one day into this site, I've discovered that the Des Moines crowd here doesn't have a sense of humor about anything. They also seem to reflect this pathological insecurity about how their city is perceived by outsiders. It's amusing on the surface, yet a little creepy if one digs into the psyche behind it.

So, everything has to be the BIGGEST...the BEST...the FASTEST-GROWING...name your superlative, and it's probably going to appear on a thread title here.
Yes...if a 3rd party writes and article showing DM in a good light, I know I tend to post those here.

Wouldn't that kind of make sense in a forum dedicated to people trying to find out information about certain cities?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Omaha & Madison, possibly more in Madison than Omaha, but probably not nearly as much.
My brother lived in Madison and now resides in Omaha. Every time he brings up Omaha, he starts to sound like some of the Des Moines people here. Ironically, he had nothing but bad things to say about Madison. I think that was due to the area's liberal leanings, however.

I lived in Chicago awhile back. Like any city, you can find things about it you love and things you hate. All of those things considered, I wouldn't say Chicago was any better/worse than the numerous other places I've lived over the years. It has more to do...and more of the BS that goes along with it.

Take your pick. Happiness won't be found in a ZIP code, or a city with some website that proclaims it is not boring. I met people in Chicago who were bored. No joke.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Chicago, which could actually make the claim of being on NYC/LA level, for the most part, knows it's not quite there (mainly due to being in the midwest). You do meet people who think it's the greatest place on earth, but there isn't nearly the same level of civic fanaticism that mid-sized cities have.

It's literally not even close.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:49 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The way the thread is presented makes it sound a little cocky. Come on, Des Moines growth outpaces the Midwest!? Maybe the midwest as a whole, but its still growing slower Madison, Omaha, the twin cities...This is just something small but adding that extra part makes it sound real cocky. It's as if Des Moines is the BEST, FASTEST growing Midwest metro. Even so, I'm glad that that this was posted because it's always interesting to see population statistics but it does seem cocky. It's a small annoyance and not even worth arguing. BTW that was originally intended to be a joke, not malicious.
It has grown more since 2010 than all of those cities.

Based on 2010-2012 MSA population change:
Des Moines: +3.40%
Madison: +2.53%
Omaha: +2.34%
Minneapolis: +2.19%

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Chicago, which could actually make the claim of being on NYC/LA level, for the most part, knows it's not quite there (mainly due to being in the midwest). You do meet people who think it's the greatest place on earth, but there isn't nearly the same level of civic fanaticism that mid-sized cities have.
Chicago has a basket full of problems right now...like the city's murder rate and public education system falling apart. They have a ton of awesome buildings, a world renown airport, shopping destinations, and commerce. All that doesn't really matter if your city is a virtual shooting gallery and students are being crowded into decaying schools. I left Chicago because I got tired of the whole rat race. It stopped being a fun place to live after awhile.

Bigger is not always better. Biggest is certainly not the best in Illinois, and I'm not sure being the biggest in Iowa means much of anything either...

...Unless you're someone who just likes the dry recitation of statistics with absolutely no context.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM

What I meant, the culture in a big city is never as "tribal" as a mid-sized city. Mid-sized cities sometimes even outdo small towns in terms of tribalism.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Wouldn't that kind of make sense in a forum dedicated to people trying to find out information about certain cities?
I don't think very many people in here are truly looking for information on a city. Instead, it tends to be populated by people who already have their respective positions set in stone and are looking for affirmation from strangers on the Internet. So many of these threads titled "I'm moving to Supertown Cityville soon...looking for info" are just strategic plants by that city's local chamber of commerce.

If you're dumb enough to believe a forum such as this will provide unbiased information that is in no way shaded or cherry-picked, you're probably not capable of safely operating a U-Haul truck. If I was researching a move to another location, this forum would be my absolute last resort...right after the personal ads on that city's Craiglist page.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Drew
You are making assumptions here as to the op's original intent by missing that the thread title came from the newspaper article out of the Des Moines Register that supplied the basis for the op's thread. It is based on a census bureau estimate, purely & simply, not a wishful figment of someone's imagination here.
When the latest nationwide data recently became available, all across the country newspapers were full of new census estimate info & threads on the topic popped up on city-data. I even ventured to look at a population estimate thread here out of West Virginia as well as one on the Twin Cities. So, it was not a thread title for an uncommon topic dreamt up by someone here at the forum who was "cocky".
Have you not seen all of the other threads from other states & cities that talk about their own superlatives? If you spend time here, you will also see that problems & issues are also brought up in thread topics so it's not as if it's only some sort of Shangri-La-only forum.
Also, from the most current data, the city proper of Des Moines is growing slower than both Madison & Omaha but, hold onto your hats, you who are naysayers here as looking at the growth in metro Des Moines on a percentage basis, you may be surprised to learn that during the decade from 2000-2010, it grew 18.3% and was the 28th fastest growing of the 100 largest metros in the country. During that same decade, metro Omaha only grew 12.8% for a rank of 49th, metro Madison grew 13.3% for a rank of 46th & metro Minneapolis/St. Paul grew 10.5% for a rank of 56th.
Not bad at all for a small place in "Flyoverland" called metro Des Moines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines