Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM

95 posts, read 639,952 times

Advertisements

Possibly attending school in Des Moines. What is the weather like in Des Moines? What are winters like? Coming from the south cold winters are not usual to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,278 times
Coming from the south cold winters aren't unusual to you? It's cold, make no bones about it. You get used to the cold, but not that Plains wind that blows quite frequently during the winter. Expect about 30 inches of snow from late November to mid March. The problem isn't how cold it gets, it's how long the cold lasts. You will have uncomfortable cold days from November through April, sometimes even sooner or later. Summers are very nice, but pretty humid. Rarely are there days that get above the mid to high 90's.

This part of the county does not have the most hospitable climate, but it's always interesting to keep an eye on the weather here.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Having lived both Des Moines and Chicago...it's significantly "not as cold" as Chicago.

Seems a lot hotter in summer too.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
The average temperatures are actually slightly colder in Des Moines and it's more windy in Des Moines compared to Chicago.

That said though, I think Des Moines is easier because more people have garages and drive everywhere during the winter. The thing that sucks here is having to walk to the train, less people have garages, people have to go outside to get cabs.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 PM

10 posts, read 47,708 times
Spring - Cloudy, lots of rain and cooler weather, some random sunny days getting warmer ... beginning of the stormy season - possiblity of tornadoes and severe weather.

Summer - continuation of stormy season, getting hotter and a lot more humid. You walk outside and it's sticky. Many days get into the mid 90s.

Fall - back to cloudy and somewhat rainy weather. Contrast of colorful leaves helps... crisp cool air, turning to the winter season, occasional snow showers.

Winter - ironic, but a good comparison to hell. Windy windy windy, especially in the open plains where there is little to no wind break. Wind chill reaching to the negative 30s and 40s on bad days. Be prepared to step outside and feel your snot freeze.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadoalleylover View Post
Spring - Cloudy, lots of rain and cooler weather, some random sunny days getting warmer ... beginning of the stormy season - possiblity of tornadoes and severe weather.

Summer - continuation of stormy season, getting hotter and a lot more humid. You walk outside and it's sticky. Many days get into the mid 90s.

Fall - back to cloudy and somewhat rainy weather. Contrast of colorful leaves helps... crisp cool air, turning to the winter season, occasional snow showers.

Winter - ironic, but a good comparison to hell. Windy windy windy, especially in the open plains where there is little to no wind break. Wind chill reaching to the negative 30s and 40s on bad days. Be prepared to step outside and feel your snot freeze.
I tend to agree with this but for your assessment of fall. Fall can usually be very pleasant until November. Fall tends to be more dry with many sunny days but getting more cool and windy later in October. Fall is nicer than spring here, and sometimes we get some cool but nice days in Nov too, but it usually remains somewhat dry thru Dec. We can usually pull off one or two 70 degree days in early Nov, enjoy them because thats the last your going to see of that until late March and April.

The OP from the south wants to know about winter. It will be an experience to feel what a northern winter can bring. But it can be quite beautiful and people that have'nt seen it will really notice what we take for granted. Last Dec was a winter wonderland delight, looked like a picture postcard scene from Norman Rockwell. When we get that around Christmas time it's extra special, because we only have a one out of five shot at having some real snow cover thru the Christmas season.

You will need to learn how to take it slow when driving on the snow and ice if your not used to it, or you'll spin out of control and end up in the ditch. Slow acceleration and easy going on the brakes is the key. Get a heavy coat thats long enough to cover your butt, and some gloves and a warm stocking hat. Then wear them and get out into your new winter playground and defeat old man winter by going out every day for a little walk so you can adjust. If the wind is light, a 10 degree day really isnt that bad, I take a 45 minute walk just about every winters day. Try it, you'll like it and then later in the winter you can say "Hey, its almost 40 today, what a fine day" Drink some OJ and have some soup and you wont catch colds if you dress right for weather that day, which will vary from cold to really cold.

Last edited by mofford; 05-28-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I tend to agree with this but for your assessment of fall. Fall can usually be very pleasant until November. Fall tends to be more dry with many sunny days but getting more cool and windy later in October. Fall is nicer than spring here, and sometimes we get some cool but nice days in Nov too, but it usually remains somewhat dry thru Dec. We can usually pull off one or two 70 degree days in early Nov, enjoy them because thats the last your going to see of that until late March and April.

The OP from the south wants to know about winter. It will be an experience to feel what a northern winter can bring. But it can be quite beautiful and people that have'nt seen it will really notice what we take for granted. Last Dec was a winter wonderland delight, looked like a picture postcard scene from Norman Rockwell. When we get that around Christmas time it's extra special, because we only have a one out of five shot at having some real snow cover thru the Christmas season.

You will need to learn how to take it slow when driving on the snow and ice if your not used to it, or you'll spin out of control and end up in the ditch. Slow acceleration and easy going on the brakes is the key. Get a heavy coat thats long enough to cover your butt, and some gloves and a warm stocking hat. Then wear them and get out into your new winter playground and defeat old man winter by going out every day for a little walk so you can adjust. If the wind is light, a 10 degree day really isnt that bad, I take a 45 minute walk just about every winters day. Try it, you'll like it and then later in the winter you can say "Hey, its almost 40 today, what a fine day" Drink some OJ and have some soup and you wont catch colds if you dress right for weather that day, which will vary from cold to really cold.
That's good info! Do people really get sick all the time? What about flu shots? I haven't been sick in ages. Are people cold in their houses too?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 AM

10 posts, read 47,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
That's good info! Do people really get sick all the time? What about flu shots? I haven't been sick in ages. Are people cold in their houses too?
Just wear a coat and consume antioxidants, vitamins, proper nutrition, etc.. Most people have heaters ... that's really all I have for the second question.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
When you let your body get too cold from not dressing properly, it is very easy to pick up a cold because your immunities are lowered. Because there are more people that get sick in the winter, your odds of picking something up are much greater, especially if you have a job that brings you in close contact with alot of people thru-out the day. Elderly people and those with weak immunities have to be extra carefull in winter, not to mention that a slip on the ice can be disasterous. Im almost positive that old people die more often here in the winter than any other time of year.

About people being cold in their houses, that would include all that can't afford to pay the large heating bills, especially in Jan and Feb. Once again, its the elderly that are the most vulnerable, there is assistance for heating bills, some are too proud to get the help they need, or do not qualify. An older 3 bedroom home can cost $500 a month to heat durring the coldest months. Alot of people wear long sleeve shirts/sweaters/flannel around the house to keep warm without cranking up the thermostat. I seal off my kitchen, dining room and spare bedroom and let that part of the house drop down to about 55 degrees, while I keep the living and bed room on this side of the house a pleasant 70, but let it drop down to the low 60's at night. I sleep like a baby in the winter with a nice warm blanket, the best zzzzzz's of the year. Always nice and quiet outside that time of year too, with only the wind howling you to sleep.

My highest bill last winter was $130 (heat and electric), but I don't have central heating and cooling. I have 2 seperate gas wall furnaces for each half of the house, no blower moter or filters to change. That is unusual for most homes in Iowa do not have wall furnaces, but I like them. The furnace people might say "Oh, they are not efficient and won't evenly heat you home....blah blah. Im happy with them, if you try and use an electric space heater, you have a higher risk for fire and it runs your electric bill up, as electric heat is expensive ! And if the power ever goes out from an ice storm, my wall furnaces are still running because they use a milli-volt thermostat.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM

82 posts, read 355,031 times
I don't like the weather in Iowa. It feels like it is winter for 6 months and summer for five months, but the winter is bitterly severe and windy and the summer is stiflingly hot and humid with oppressive sun. You have about one month were it switches biweekly between winter and summer due to the interchange of cold and warm fronts moving through. During this short interchange period you will have some beautiful days during which you will actually want to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines