Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
The commute from Ann Arbor to Detroit is one that thousands make daily, and compared to other metro areas it's not that bad. When you include walk and waiting time, how long does it take someone living in Queens to get to Manhatten using the subway, for example? All I'm saying is that based on the OP's original post, A2 is the town for him, especially if he is working on the west or south side.
He's working downtown Detroit. The drive from Ann Arbor to Detroit is 41 miles and the shortest commute time is 45 minutes down I-94: Ann Arbor, MI to Detroit, MI - Google Maps Don't even get me started how long this commute would take when I-94 is torn up, the backups by the airport, and in the winter when traffic moves at 15 mph the whole way.

Driving 82 miles/day just getting to and from work is not reasonable. Assuming his car gets 20 miles/gallon and gas stays at $3.19/gallon, he's looking at $13.00/day just in fuel costs. That's at least $260 just for commuting M-F per month. Anybody who makes that commute by choice is a masochist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
here's why I like the I-75 commute better:
*Shorter obviously.
*Passes by other places where I may have business (Eastern Market, New Center, Wayne U, Medical Center, Hamtramck)
*AA rents probably higher(?)
Anything else?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM

655 posts, read 2,203,177 times
ForStarters: A QB lives downtown? Seriously? Where? Who? If it's Stafford I hope they padded the whole building down.

I still can't believe people keep suggesting Ann Arbor. I couldn't imagine that drive twice a day. It was a pain when we had clean sailing to games. I don't know how people around NY/NJ/PA and similar areas do it every day.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
ForStarters: A QB lives downtown? Seriously? Where? Who? If it's Stafford I hope they padded the whole building down.
Haha yeah, it's Stafford. There's a number of pro athletes who live downtown. Mostly at the Fort Shelby and Book Cadillac. There are also some Red Wings who live at Riverfront Towers over by the Joe. Probably some in Lafayette Park as well. I doubt there are any in my building, it's not upscale enough any more. Although there are some recognizable figures who still live here, and definitely a lot of professionals.

Quote:
I still can't believe people keep suggesting Ann Arbor. I couldn't imagine that drive twice a day. It was a pain when we had clean sailing to games. I don't know how people around NY/NJ/PA and similar areas do it every day.
Yeah, they're either nuts or don't know what they're talking about.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 PM

89 posts, read 258,823 times
You are smart to rent for a while, get your bearings in the area, meet people, and then decide where you want to settle down. Rent prices are very low right now, and predictions are that the metro Detroit area will continue to be a buyers & renters market for several years.

Ferndale is a fun area. There are nice homes for rent, or homes split into duplexes/multifamily for rent. You'll have a quick commute and plenty of entertainment nearby when you're not working. I would not recommend the Ann Arbor area due to the long commute on I-94, which can be a pain in the behind.

When you get to Ferndale (which is a fun, eclectic city with a lot of great local restaurants and shops), find Chazzano Coffee on Nine Mile, east of Woodward, west of I-75. It is owned by a friend of mine who is originally from NYC, and has been living here for years. He's an amazing Jewish cantor and successful businessman. I'm sure he'd pass along a lot of great information and advice. Plus, you will get the best fresh roasted coffee you can find anywhere in Michigan!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
When you get to Ferndale (which is a fun, eclectic city with a lot of great local restaurants and shops), find Chazzano Coffee on Nine Mile, east of Woodward, west of I-75. It is owned by a friend of mine who is originally from NYC, and has been living here for years. He's an amazing Jewish cantor and successful businessman. I'm sure he'd pass along a lot of great information and advice. Plus, you will get the best fresh roasted coffee you can find anywhere in Michigan!
Good coffee - that's reason enough.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM

655 posts, read 2,203,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
Haha yeah, it's Stafford. There's a number of pro athletes who live downtown. Mostly at the Fort Shelby and Book Cadillac. There are also some Red Wings who live at Riverfront Towers over by the Joe. Probably some in Lafayette Park as well. I doubt there are any in my building, it's not upscale enough any more. Although there are some recognizable figures who still live here, and definitely a lot of professionals.

Yeah, they're either nuts or don't know what they're talking about.
I knew Wings have been living at Riverfront for years. It's an easy stroll to the Joe.

I never heard about Stafford. I guess all the new empty condos would be attractive to players. I guess I'm still used to the Lions' being in the burbs and their players staying clear of Downtown.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 AM

72 posts, read 150,094 times
I agree with the others about Ferndale being the place to go. I've lived in Metro Detroit and NYC and believe it's really the perfect place for a former New Yorker in your situation. Good luck and all the best!!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
One of my collegues drives from Ann Arbor to the Ren Cen every day. He says that the drive is not bad. He usually makes it in less than an hour. Often in 40 minutes.

But then he said that Highway 14 is not patrolled, so speed limits do not apply, but when he gets to the I- 96, he has to slow down to 90.

Moderator cut: orphaned, the post you were referring to was deleted

Last edited by Yac; 02-11-2011 at 01:05 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,608 times
I hope the high-speed rail is reconsidered. I live in the A2 area and from the looks of it may ending up working (or at least interning) in Detroit.

Ferndale is pretty awesome though, my ex has some friends there and it seems to be a nice place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
A2 is definitely a cool town, but his commute to downtown Detroit would be 45 minutes at least. Lest we forget, the Michigan legislature recently canned the high-speed rail line that would have made such things possible.

Stick to Ferndale. If you dig that, move to the city. It's what all the cool kids are doing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit