Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,794 times

Advertisements

If you thought Detroit was a food desert, think again:

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Yes There Are Grocery Stores in Detroit by James Griffioen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
Nice article, but I think the comments section say a lot more than the article itself. Although it has been many years, I remember a 'grocery store' near U of D that had all the shopping carts in a cage outside the door. You couldn't take a cart to the parking lot to load up your car since so many people were stealing the carts.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Randazzos is a neat amrket, but I think that it is in Redford Township not Detroit. Maybe this is another one, but the one that I am thiking of is eaither on or very near outer drive.

Most of the others appear to be Mexican Villiage stores. People generally say that Mexican Villiage or Eastern Market are the only places to get groceries in Detroit.

Piquettes may be the newish place that I can walk to. I went there once with someone but I could not remember where it was. However there is a market within a long walk of the Ren Cen (at least there was a while ago).

Funny that one is a Gigante. I see those all over Mexico, but I was not aware that tehy are in the US (I think this is a chain name, but maybe it is just Spanish for grocery store)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,004,069 times
I've seen these Mike's markets all over Detroit. I guess they don't count.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 PM

170 posts, read 496,326 times
I've been shocked to learn over the years that at my ripe old age I don't know what a grocery store is
I thought I knew but apparently I don't and never have. I moved to Detroit proper in 1987 and had people on several different occasions over the years tell me that Detroit didn't have any grocery stores. The most recent case of someone telling me(&the nation)this was that guy on Dateline. I never knew Detroit lacked grocery stores or that I wasn't a swift as I'd led myself to believe Before I moved out of the city I didn't make a concentrated effort to cross city limits just for the joy of shopping at a Kroger or Meijer per say. If I needed something and didn't feel like making the trek to one of the suburban cities I'd just hop in the car (or bus) and go to Glory,Save A Lot,Food Pride,University Foods,King Coles,Aldis,any number of Spartan stores,or whoever had a good sale and good/quality products. Who knew all these years that these places(in Detroit)were'nt grocery stores??
I think I'll ask the AG&Governor look into this. Those places should be brought up on charges for falsely&blatantly misleading me and the people of Detroit into thinking that they're grocery stores
SMH

Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
The accusation of a lack of grocery stores was started and perpetuated by Detroiters, who presumably were/are attempting to place the blame for a lack of well-known chain grocers on racism.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,548 times
Relative to the suburbs, Detroit has very crappy grocery options. I don't see how this is debatable.

Eastern Market has very limited hours, is out in the elements, and far from places like Northwest Detroit. And it's hardly one-stop shopping. You can't get your toothpaste and garbage bags with your groceries.

I am Mexican American and Mexicantown does not have great grocery stores. They have a few places with good Mexican options, but the options for "regular" food are generally limited, poor and overpriced. Everyone likes to talk about Honeybee Market, but that place would be considered horrible if it were in the suburbs. Overpriced, cramped, and limited selection.

My brother lives at Somerset Apartments in Troy. Within one mile of his apartment (walking distance; there are sidewalks on all streets in his area), he has 2 huge, newer Krogers, Meijer, Target, WalMart, Holiday Market, Whole Foods, 2 Indian groceries, 1 Middle Eastern grocery, and 1 East Asian grocery.

And slightly farther afield, he has Papa Joes (best grocery store in Michigan, IMO), Trader Joes, Westborn Market, Nino Salvaggios, and a ton of ethnic markets.

Now, in Detroit, yes, there are some supermarkets, but they're usually the ghetto Spartan Stores, with the nasty meat/produce, the security gates for the carts, the high prices, etc.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny that one is a Gigante. I see those all over Mexico, but I was not aware that tehy are in the US (I think this is a chain name, but maybe it is just Spanish for grocery store)
Gigante was a Mexican chain supermarket. I don't think it exists anymore.

I seriously doubt there were any Gigantes in Michigan. They tended to operate Meijer-style superstores.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Randazzos is a neat amrket, but I think that it is in Redford Township not Detroit. Maybe this is another one, but the one that I am thiking of is eaither on or very near outer drive.

Most of the others appear to be Mexican Villiage stores. People generally say that Mexican Villiage or Eastern Market are the only places to get groceries in Detroit.

Piquettes may be the newish place that I can walk to. I went there once with someone but I could not remember where it was. However there is a market within a long walk of the Ren Cen (at least there was a while ago).

There is a Randazzo in Roseville and Detroit (7mile and Vandyke area)

Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I've seen these Mike's markets all over Detroit. I guess they don't count.
yep. There's a Mike's by me. They brought Kroger over here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit