Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 18,982 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I'm a 25 year old guy who'll be moving to the GP area this summer. I work in the medical field so I really wanted to keep the commuting to a minimum, but upon reading different forums I'm worried GP might be a little "boring?". I know Royal Oak and downtown Detroit have a great nightlife, but I guess my question is, what does GP itself have to offer? Is it really just a "family/old-person" town?

Oh and I'm familiar with the Detroit area pretty well, so I guess what I'm asking for is someone who actually has some life experience with GP to enlighten me.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
I've never lived in GP, but I have many close friends that do. In terms of nightlife, there are like 10 good neighborhood pubs in Grosse Pointe Park, most of which are concentrated on or near the Detroit border on Mack or off Charlevoix. My friend who lived in the Park used to walk to bars in GPP all the time. You also have "The Village," which is like a little downtown that has a few good restaurants. It's not really a party scene in my experience, but a nice place to go out and grab dinner. Grosse Pointe also has more exclusive activities, like the country club and yacht club if you have the ability to do those sorts of things.

The young people (mid 20's) I know in Grosse Pointe spend a lot of time downtown, which is easy because they aren't far. If you live in the Park, it is totally reasonable to take a cab to and from downtown. If you live in say, the Woods, it's still doable, but a little more of a hassle. If I were to poll my friends who live in the Pointes, I think most of them would be happy, but a few of them wish they were closer to downtown. GPP seems the best place for younger people and stuff to do and is closer to the city. It seems like the rest of the Pointes are geared mostly towards families.

I am not sure if anything I've said has been helpful, but I tried!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:35 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
R.O./North Woodward has action, Hamtramck, Midtown/Wayne U have action, Detroit has action - speaks well for an I-75 commute. But you already know this. I'm just layin' that out.
I was born & raised at Mack and Moross. Never went to GP for anything, except along Mack was a guitar store (Fiddlers) and a hangout pub called Union Street (Mack at Alter). Mack/Moross had shopping, northward had spotty nightlife, small bars and cookie-cutter lounges.
My point is, if nothing has changed in the last ten years, GP life entails quietude - boating, Lake St. Clair parks, dining, shopping, country clubs. That's its history, and the reason people choose it.
I always liked the E. Jefferson drive from the Lake to downtown, but not for its "action".
If current residents have a different take on this, please let the OP know (ala ForStarters, D-Love, others with a constructive outlook).

Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM

378 posts, read 974,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
R.O./North Woodward has action, Hamtramck, Midtown/Wayne U have action, Detroit has action - speaks well for an I-75 commute. But you already know this. I'm just layin' that out.
I was born & raised at Mack and Moross. Never went to GP for anything, except along Mack was a guitar store (Fiddlers) and a hangout pub called Union Street (Mack at Alter). Mack/Moross had shopping, northward had spotty nightlife, small bars and cookie-cutter lounges.
My point is, if nothing has changed in the last ten years, GP life entails quietude - boating, Lake St. Clair parks, dining, shopping, country clubs. That's its history, and the reason people choose it.
I always liked the E. Jefferson drive from the Lake to downtown, but not for its "action".
If current residents have a different take on this, please let the OP know (ala ForStarters, D-Love, others with a constructive outlook).
I lived in the Farms while growing up and moved to the Park (wayburn & charlevoix) while in my middle 20's. I loved it - it certainly is a nice area for families etc but the Patch (the area near Alter & Mack with many rental properties) was a great place for me. I went out to bars regularly, hung out downtown with no issue and didn't deal with the heavy crowds you see in RO/B'Ham. Not to mention that if the OP is commuting GP far outweighs RO for heading into/out of the city. Rental prices are also much better and I think that he'd see a lot more bang for his buck. I find it interesting that many people that put down GP have never actually lived there but they all "know a guy who did" etc. or they lived close to. It's safe, fun and nice for a great price right now. OP - look into GPP specifically the rental area near Mack/Alter commonly called "the patch" for great deals on one bedrooms, a walkable nightlife and short commute to work.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 AM

9 posts, read 22,016 times
Grosse Pointe is very family oriented and quiet. I'm sure you'll be busy with work and so the commute is probably your main concern. There are a few bars/pubs, restaurants in the area (Cadieux Cafe, Ye Olde Tap Room, the Village has restaurants/bars) that you can enjoy on the weekends. St. Clair Shores has a few bars and restaurants as well (Fishbones, Andiamo's, The Beach Grill, etc.) that aren't too far. Most young people and couples in Metro Detroit live in areas such as Ferndale, Royal Oak, Clawson, Berkley. These are very popular places to go to with lots of restaurants/bars. It's about 35 minutes from where you live, which is not ideal if your work is in Grosse Pointe (metro D traffic can be pretty annoying in the am and pm).

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 18,982 times
Hey thanks a lot for the replies. I'll be working in GP, at moross and mack more specifically which is why I plan on moving out there. I've driven around, obviously grosse pointe is a beautiful place. Hopefully I'll get a better feel for it once I actually live there. Glad to know that the border to Detroit on Mack has some good bars, I'll definitely have to check that area out. I already visited "the village", definitely more for nice restaurants and frocery shopping haha.

Again, appreciate the advice!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkt86 View Post
Hey thanks a lot for the replies. I'll be working in GP, at moross and mack more specifically which is why I plan on moving out there. I've driven around, obviously grosse pointe is a beautiful place. Hopefully I'll get a better feel for it once I actually live there. Glad to know that the border to Detroit on Mack has some good bars, I'll definitely have to check that area out. I already visited "the village", definitely more for nice restaurants and frocery shopping haha.
Again, appreciate the advice!
Well, the Union Street is long gone. Ye Olde Tap Room was on Charlevoix around the corner. Many bars/restaurants were on Jefferson north of 9 Mile, near the marinas for the boating crowd. The Lake St Clair shoreline from GP to Algonac is interesting to explore imo. Balduck Park and Marquette elementary school is where I grew up.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 04-17-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 PM

54 posts, read 155,395 times
Would def recommend Royal Oak, GP is a very nice area but I wouldn't want to spend my 20's there. I don't think the commute from RO would be that bad since it is so close to 696 and I would guess that there would be more people going in the opposite direction in the morning (torwards Oakland county).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit