Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM

94 posts, read 224,423 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Birmingham but now live with my long time partner on the West Coast. My parents still live in the Detroit area and are getting up in years. We have been mulling over the idea of moving closer to them. Jobs are not an issue for us. We are early 40s in age. Royal Oak and Ferndale are not appealing to us at this age. I've always liked Grosse Pointe, especially the housing stock and sailing opportunities. My question: would two men living in GP be comfortable? A (straight) friend who lives in GP claims the area is slowly becoming more diverse, but I am I interested in more input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM

189 posts, read 522,559 times
Honestly, I don't think it would be a big deal... sure, it's an "old-money" conservative/republican type place, but like most moneyed places the residents don't tend to interact with eachother very often. Ninety percent of the time they're either at work or sealed up in their own houses. Sure, your next door neighbors may notice, and some gossip may get around, but it's not like there's any "hoodlums" there that are going to make life difficult.

If you can deal with some sideways glances from the blue-hairs you'll do just fine. I can't imagine any real direct sense of discrimination or intimidation coming from anyone in Grosse Point.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM

57 posts, read 245,028 times
You'll be fine and are more than welcome.

-GPF resident

Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 PM

36 posts, read 117,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twehttam View Post
You'll be fine and are more than welcome.

-GPF resident
You know what? That was one of the nicest posts I've read.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:20 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
I grew up in Birmingham but now live with my long time partner on the West Coast. My parents still live in the Detroit area and are getting up in years. We have been mulling over the idea of moving closer to them. Jobs are not an issue for us. We are early 40s in age. Royal Oak and Ferndale are not appealing to us at this age. I've always liked Grosse Pointe, especially the housing stock and sailing opportunities. My question: would two men living in GP be comfortable? A (straight) friend who lives in GP claims the area is slowly becoming more diverse, but I am I interested in more input. Thanks.
Honestly, man, I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to go live in Grosse Pointe. The people there are JUST. PLAIN. MEAN. Everything else there is nice, but the tradeoff isn't worth it.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
THere are a lot of nice people living in Grosse Pointe. In fact, everyone that I know from Grosse Pointe is very nice. Of course that amounts to no more than 30 to 40 people, but 30 out of 30 indicates that there must be a substantial number of nice people there. It is unlikely that I just happened to stumble across the only 30 nice people who live there.

If you are respectful and keep in mind that the fact that you are gay will bother some people a great deal, you will be fine. If you are "in your face" homosexuals who feel the need to make sure that everyone knows and sees displays of your sexuality, then you may not be entirely compfortable. It is a pretty conservative place.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 AM

378 posts, read 974,844 times
I grew up in GPF next to "Steven & Richard"... nobody cared. You'll not run into any more issues than other comparable neighborhoods metro Detroit (B'ham etc.) Welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit