Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorate Mall?
Brairwood Mall- Ann Arbor 0 0%
Eastland Center- Harper Woods 2 5.41%
Fairlane Town Center- Dearborn 5 13.51%
Great Lakes Crossing- Auburn Hills 5 13.51%
Green Oak Village- Brighton 0 0%
Lakeside Mall- Sterling Heights 5 13.51%
Laurel Park Place- Livonia 1 2.70%
Macomb Mall- Roseville 2 5.41%
Northland Center- Southfield 2 5.41%
Oakland Mall- Troy 2 5.41%
Patridge Creek- Clinton 6 16.22%
Renissance Center- Detroit 2 5.41%
Somerset Collection- Troy 13 35.14%
Southland Center- Taylor 2 5.41%
Tel- Twelve Shopping Center- Southfield 0 0%
Twelve Mile Crossing At Fountain Walk- Novi 1 2.70%
Twelve Oaks Mall- Novi 6 16.22%
Village of Rochester Hills- Rochester Hills 0 0%
Westland Center- Westland 0 0%
Greektown- Detroit 2 5.41%
Eastern Market- Detroit 3 8.11%
The Village on Kercheval Ave- Grosse Pointe 0 0%
Old Woodward Ave- Birmingham 2 5.41%
Main street- Royal Oak 2 5.41%
Main street- Rochester 0 0%
West Main Street- Northville 0 0%
Main Street- Plymouth 1 2.70%
Mall of Monroe- Monroe 1 2.70%
Genesse Valley Center- Flint 0 0%
Birch Run Premium Outlets- Birch Run 2 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Enough said. Rep up for that. But they should have a outlet mall or something there. I don't think any Somerset type malls would make it downriver

There is an outlet mall in Monroe. There is a mall in Toledo. Fairlane is pretty close. There is Southland Mall and there is the intersection of West and Allen Roads in Woodhaven, where, while not a mall, it is pretty similar (Target, K-mart, Meijers, Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Kohls, Petsmart, Office Depot, Home Goods, Kroger, Radio Shack, O'Riley Auto parts, Gamestop, Olgas, 5 Guys, Steak & Shake, Applebees, Wendys, Pizza Hut, White Castle,Bicycle Shop, Hallmark store,a small pet store, A couple of cell phone places, Aldi's and a Bunch of other shops and restaurants). We also have downtown Wyandotte for shopping for igher end clothing if desired. We certainly never feel like we do not have enough chain stores to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
True about the population, however, Fairlane is pretty close to Downriver up the Southfield Freeway. Household disposable income isn't all that bad. It's not entirely a low to moderate income place. There's some nicer housing in Trenton, Woodhaven, Riverview, and Southgate, among others. I seem to remember property values in these areas being slightly higher than Macomb County back at the peak, too.

Tel-12 was de-malled. It's what they call a "power center" now. Meijer, Lowe's, DSW, those sorts of stores. The interior mall has been gone for years.
Fairlane was a nice mall back in the day. Mall security is everywhere. You are bumping arms with teenagers everywhere. It reminds me of a club for teens without the music. People are fighting all the time up there. Drama! But they have nice stores if you can make it there on the weekdays. The weekends? Noooo!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is an outlet mall in Monroe. There is a mall in Toledo. Fairlane is pretty close. There is Southland Mall and there is the intersection of West and Allen Roads in Woodhaven, where, while not a mall, it is pretty similar (Target, K-mart, Meijers, Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Kohls, Petsmart, Office Depot, Home Goods, Kroger, Radio Shack, O'Riley Auto parts, Gamestop, Olgas, 5 Guys, Steak & Shake, Applebees, Wendys, Pizza Hut, White Castle,Bicycle Shop, Hallmark store,a small pet store, A couple of cell phone places, Aldi's and a Bunch of other shops and restaurants). We also have downtown Wyandotte for shopping for igher end clothing if desired. We certainly never feel like we do not have enough chain stores to visit.
I would avoid the outlet mall in Monroe. After Birch Run opened, people bypassed the Monroe Outlet Stores and now it is almost 90% empty with crumbling infrastructure and poorly maintained landscaping. There are a few stores there that people still visit, including a popular medical uniform outlet, but for the most part, it is a sad relic that peaked in the early '90s and has steadily declined ever since. The Mall of Monroe, over on Dixie Hwy. is much better, although it is small. It has a Target, an Elder Beerman, a Sears, and a lot of other smaller filler stores such as American Eagle, Aeropostale, the Shoe Dept., Claire's, Hallmark, etc. and a small food court. It underwent a major renovation about a year ago and is pretty nice for a smaller mall in a smaller town.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I would avoid the outlet mall in Monroe. After Birch Run opened, people bypassed the Monroe Outlet Stores and now it is almost 90% empty with crumbling infrastructure and poorly maintained landscaping. There are a few stores there that people still visit, including a popular medical uniform outlet, but for the most part, it is a sad relic that peaked in the early '90s and has steadily declined ever since. The Mall of Monroe, over on Dixie Hwy. is much better, although it is small. It has a Target, an Elder Beerman, a Sears, and a lot of other smaller filler stores such as American Eagle, Aeropostale, the Shoe Dept., Claire's, Hallmark, etc. and a small food court. It underwent a major renovation about a year ago and is pretty nice for a smaller mall in a smaller town.
It's not called Frenchtown Square anymore? I practically lived there the first summer it was open, back in '88. I haven't been there in probably three years. I don't get out like I used to.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Truthfully, i don't like any of 'em. I prefer the shopping at some place like Main Street Royal Oak rather than those lame indoor malls. Seems like they're unsustainable anyway. As soon as the "hot new" mall opens, the old ones start losing stores and looking like hell.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Truthfully, i don't like any of 'em. I prefer the shopping at some place like Main Street Royal Oak rather than those lame indoor malls. Seems like they're unsustainable anyway. As soon as the "hot new" mall opens, the old ones start losing stores and looking like hell.
What exactly is there in Royal Oak?

Doesn't seem like anything there that I would make a special trip to.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
RO and similar seem to have more specialty small business own shops rather then the large Gap. So you can find more unique items and same with the restaurants.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I agree withthe first statement. I dont like malls and If I am forced to shop I woudl prefer a downtown atmosphere. However I am not sure that the sustainability argument bears out. Two of the most popular malls in michigan at 12 oaks which opened about 1980 and Somerset has been there since the 60s but really became a mall in the mid 1990s. Still, it is pushing 20 years old. Both malls have improved and grown since they opened and the area around them has turned into a shopping mecca. I do not think that they can reasonably be considered unsustainable.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I agree withthe first statement. I dont like malls and If I am forced to shop I woudl prefer a downtown atmosphere. However I am not sure that the sustainability argument bears out. Two of the most popular malls in michigan at 12 oaks which opened about 1980 and Somerset has been there since the 60s but really became a mall in the mid 1990s. Still, it is pushing 20 years old. Both malls have improved and grown since they opened and the area around them has turned into a shopping mecca. I do not think that they can reasonably be considered unsustainable.
That's a great point, but i still think they're an anomaly....and maybe only a temporary one. Will they still be what they are in another 30 years? The thing is, since this is such a young country, i think we measure sustainability differently. My years of living in Europe kinda changed my outlook on that particular topic. I don't think 20 years, or even 30 years is very long at all.

I don't know...i'm just not a fan of the mall concept. But i'll admit that my opinion is colored by my disdain of the whole "go shopping" culture that permeates this country.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
What exactly is there in Royal Oak?

Doesn't seem like anything there that I would make a special trip to.
I can understand that. It's true...nothing special. But i like the atmosphere far better than Somerset or Southland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit