Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 74,124 times

Advertisements

Great thread, especially considering the fact the me and a buddy are heading out to Detroit in February. The purpose for our trip is two-fold: 1) we want to see a Wings game, and 2) we want to visit movie locations from the movie 8-mile, as well as the recently produced 'Gran Torino'. We also want to visit Hip-Hop-Shop (or what's left of it, I researched and found it's Marty's?) on 7 Mile, as well as the CCC Club where Proof was shot, on 8 Mile Road. Tried locating the Triple C club on google maps, but only see the Pawn shop, and huge parking lots surround it. Anyone have any ideas? Also, i've been able to track down most of the addresses and locations, so we're good in this respect; however, I was hoping some of you could shed some light on two Caucasian Canadians driving around Detroit aimlessly to visit movie locations on 8 and 7 mile road, and through some of Highland Park, MI.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, we're thinking about staying in a hotel downtown - any additional thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Go to the 8 mile locations in the day time. Especially morning. Bad guys are still sleeping then. I have been to a few of those areas and they are really not that bad, even a night. They are mostly empty. No one around. Pretty boring really.

Plenty of nice hotels downtown. If you have the money, treat yourself to the RenCen or the Book Cadillac.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM

10 posts, read 44,744 times
I'm pretty sure Triple-C was closed down shortly after Proof was killed. There were a few others killings there before him.

The places like CCC operate after the bars close at 2 and into the morning. If you want to see these places from the ouside during the day youll be fine, but you dont wanna hang out there at night. Youre not gonna fit in and make friends at these bars.

Other than that if you just wanna drive around and check out the city just use your head.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM

I've read a few other threads, and by the sounds of it, people are saying whatever you do, don't get out of the car, however, I'd like to get out at a few spots and take a quick picture with me in the photo. For the most part, I hear - "don't stop at a red light unless you have to"; leave a cars length in front of you just in case, etc. This kind of has me worried... unfortunate that I couldn't get out of the car on the west side of 8 mile and just take a photo. Kind of sad!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Ccc

Hey Chooch;

i'm trying to locate the CCC place... do you know if it's located right beside the mega pawn shop? can't seem to locate anything that would remotely look like an after hours place near there?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyouth1978 View Post
I've read a few other threads, and by the sounds of it, people are saying whatever you do, don't get out of the car, however, I'd like to get out at a few spots and take a quick picture with me in the photo. For the most part, I hear - "don't stop at a red light unless you have to"; leave a cars length in front of you just in case, etc. This kind of has me worried... unfortunate that I couldn't get out of the car on the west side of 8 mile and just take a photo. Kind of sad!

Personally, I think that is bulloney. I have gone to businesses along 8 mile and not had any problems. In one location I left my car running becuase it was so cold outside - no problem. 8 mile is a commercial street. there really are not that many people hanging out or cruising along there. IN the 1980s 8 mile near the fairgrounds was crawling with hookers. I have not seen them there recently.

People from the suburbs who rarely or never go downtwon will tell you all kinds of horror stories. Most of the horror stories were passed down from their grandparents. I do not understand the hype. A few areas are really really bad. Gang warfare in those areas drives the overall violent crime statistics through the roof.

There are people who will tell you that if you go downtown at night you should wear a body bag to save the coronor some work. I work downtown and leave late regularly. Not only do I never have problems, I rarely see anyone at all. One night a homeless guy asked me for a quarter. Another night a Red Wings ticket scalper would not leave me alone and kept trying to open the door to my car. (There was a policeman about 50 yards away). Otherwise I have never had a problem nor felt uncomforatble.

Now there are some areas that I have to drive through to get to the I-75 freeway that I would not care to stop in at night. However the solution to that is simple, do not stop there at night.

Tell you what. If you are afraid to get out of your car, send me a list of addresses and when I get time, I will go take pictures and e-mail them to you. I ahve to warn you though that with a demanding career and five kids, it may be a while before I have time.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 AM

60 posts, read 274,097 times
The things people say about not getting out of the car or not stopping at lights are gross exaggerations.

While you're in Hamtramck checking out Greater Detroit Hospital and Joseph Campau where 8-Mile was filmed, be sure to stop in at the Polish Art Center. Some of the items for Clint Eastwood's house in Grand Torino were purchased there.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Considering I am polish, I definitely will How did you learn about that?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,809 times
Watch the wings game and get out of Detroit. LOL

8 mile is an interesting stretch. Lots of gentleman's clubs to visit. I highly recommend the Booby Trap.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 AM

We have the best strip joints in Niagara - no need to check them out in Detroit ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit