Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM

429 posts, read 971,247 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine posted this on facebook and i thought it was very well written and wanted to share it....

"It is a common misconception that Detroit is a dirt heap, bereft of any life except leeches and degenerate criminals both in its citizenry and its politics. I once thought this way myself. I am proud to work somewhere that's making a difference in a city that most people have written off for dead, and that's making a positive impact in the lives of Detroit's citizens."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Positive impact on the citizens of Detroit or the SUBURBANITES who come into the city and flaunt it like they are the next Avant-garde generation?

I see LITTLE or NO positive impact on the citizens of Detroit---Not that many have businesses that benefit from the distribution of SUBURBAN CASH.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM

It was more about a change in the general view of the city as a whole, or at least that was the way i took it and viewed it. If people were not working in detroit (regardless of where they live) and business were not investing and moving into detroit then we would not have the police presence that now exixts in downtown detroit Changes would not be happening instead they would have stayed the same or gotten worse. So yes in a way there has been a positive impact on the city and its citzens maybe dont as directly as it could be but there has been and will continue to be more change for the city and its citezens. I think the bigger picture needs to be looked at and considered when talking about positive impact.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Positive impact on the citizens of Detroit or the SUBURBANITES who come into the city and flaunt it like they are the next Avant-garde generation?

I see LITTLE or NO positive impact on the citizens of Detroit---Not that many have businesses that benefit from the distribution of SUBURBAN CASH.
I got the impression that some citizens of Detroit DO have small businesses, and ARE benefiting from the fact that surburbanites are taking some inititiave and interest in the city.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Zman -

Most of the businesses that have opened downtown have hired locally e.g. Potbelly's in EY building, Great Lakes Roasting Coffee, 1515 Broadway coffee shop, Whole Foods. By locally, I mean Detroit city residents. I know because I ask when i go there where they live.

We had zero businesses in most of these locations for the past ten years. Now we have employing/tax paying businessess. Local citizens have jobs and the company/all workers pay taxes (e.g. payroll/income) which benefit the entire city.

Please explain how that is a negative impact on the citizens of Detroit.

Please identify which businesses that open would positively impact Detroit citizens differently than the aforementioned examples.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
The trouble with economic development is few can tend to agree as to how it should work out. One might content that ownership largely dictates who profits but in all due respect sometimes if a place just opens and hires then it's a good thing.

There are those that will complain when housing goes up or down and that includes commerical properties as well.

I would argue anything is better than empty buildings. Yes of course there are some that are historic but that should not be an excuse to leave them in such a manner or exempt them from restoration. I live in the north east and there are communities that have changed over old mills and factories. It can be done. Will it bring back the same life? Probably not but that's not really the point.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Zman -

Most of the businesses that have opened downtown have hired locally e.g. Potbelly's in EY building, Great Lakes Roasting Coffee, 1515 Broadway coffee shop, Whole Foods. By locally, I mean Detroit city residents. I know because I ask when i go there where they live.

We had zero businesses in most of these locations for the past ten years. Now we have employing/tax paying businessess. Local citizens have jobs and the company/all workers pay taxes (e.g. payroll/income) which benefit the entire city.

Please explain how that is a negative impact on the citizens of Detroit.

Please identify which businesses that open would positively impact Detroit citizens differently than the aforementioned examples.

Actual CITIZENS of Detroit of COLLEGE folks living in Detroit? I find many (a lot) are college students living in Detroit until they graduate and move on. Not every resident is in it for the long haul.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
I'm a college educated resident (i.e. citizen) of Detroit. I still don't understand how new business doesn't benefit me.

Please work harder to explain.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Actual CITIZENS of Detroit of COLLEGE folks living in Detroit? I find many (a lot) are college students living in Detroit until they graduate and move on. Not every resident is in it for the long haul.
Are you saying that not one detroit resident works at any of the new businesses that have opened in detroit therefore benifiting by having a job and earning wages?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I might know what he is getting at, although his chopped sentences and random capitalization are confusing.

The revitalization of Detroit is confined to just a few areas: Midtown, Downtown, Corktown, Riverfront, etc. And even there it is spotty. Yes some Detroit residents benefit, but just a small percentage of the total population. That is still a great thing to be celebrated, but let's not ignore the other 95% of the city that seems to be on a continual downward spiral.

So the statement on facebook is true, but there is a lot more to the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit