Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I think Oak Park, Farmington Hills, Redford, Harper Woods, and Eastpointe are now quickly gaining black populations and is slowly becoming the Southfield of the 2000's.
No, the new Southfields are Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield.

Redford, Harper Woods, etc. are poorer and basically just extension of Detroit. Southfield was (and is to some extent) much more professional in nature with higher incomes and education levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 PM

93,396 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Another list: Michigan Median Household Income City Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

By school district: Michigan Median Household Income School District Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Exactly. Calling Southfield or Oak Park "diverse" is not accurate. They are regions of white flight. Likewise calling West Bloomfield diverse is not very accurate either. The place is 83% white with 8% Asian and 5% black population. It's about as diverse as Sterling Heights . Realistically, Metro Detroit has no communities with significant diversity. Towns like Warren and Farmington Hills are trending toward diverse and could be considered this by the next census, as long as white flight doesn't take hold of these towns as well, but towns which are 70% black (Southfield, Oak Park) or 80% white (West Bloomfield, Sterling Heights) are not diverse - they're just slightly less homogeneous than Virginia Park or Clawson.
Demographics within the West Bloomfield district limits: West Bloomfield School District Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It depends. West Bloomfield has majority-minority schools, and even a majority-black school. The district will probably be majority black within 15 years or so.

So, yeah, WB overall isn't super-diverse, but that's because there are tons of older white people. The school-age population is ultra diverse.

Also "white" in the Census includes Jews, Chaldeans and Lebanese. WB has HUGE populations of all three. Probably the majority of whites in WB are either Jewish or Middle Eastern.

And Sterling Heights is pretty diverse too. A HUGE proportion of the whites in Sterling Heights are Iraqi refugees. There's also a huge Chaldean population, as well as folks from all over the Middle East.
West Bloomfield school demographics, which include schools in the Walled Lake and Bloomfield Hills school districts, as well as private schools in that area: Search For Schools and Colleges

Sterling Heights school demographics(Warren and Utica SD's): Search For Schools and Colleges

Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
West Bloomfield school demographics, which include schools in the Walled Lake and Bloomfield Hills school districts, as well as private schools in that area: Search For Schools and Colleges

Sterling Heights school demographics(Warren and Utica SD's): Search For Schools and Colleges
Thanks for the helpful links, ckhthankgod!

Quote:
No, the new Southfields are Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield.

Redford, Harper Woods, etc. are poorer and basically just extension of Detroit. Southfield was (and is to some extent) much more professional in nature with higher incomes and education levels.
Why don't you consider Southfield, Farmington Hills, and West Bloomfield "extensions" of Detroit's good neighborhoods? Why do you only consider the declining and unremarkable Redford, Harper Woods, etc as extensions of Detroit?

And because you seem to know the minutiae of every Metro Detroit community, I was wondering if you give me the "411" on the following metro Detroit communities:

Riverview
Frasier
Center Line
Keego Harbor
Garden City

Thanks, I look forward to your helpful answer.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Thanks for the helpful links, ckhthankgod!

Why don't you consider Southfield, Farmington Hills, and West Bloomfield "extensions" of Detroit's good neighborhoods? Why do you only consider the declining and unremarkable Redford, Harper Woods, etc as extensions of Detroit?

And because you seem to know the minutiae of every Metro Detroit community, I was wondering if you give me the "411" on the following metro Detroit communities:

Riverview
Frasier
Center Line
Keego Harbor
Garden City

Southfield is more of an extension of Detroit than almost any other suburb right now for sure. Like I said earlier, it's like a mega Rosedale Park or Palmer Woods. Most people in Southfield are fairly successful blacks (most from Detroit city). In fact alot of the black business owners and white collar blacks in Detroit reside in Southfield. Even in west Michigan Southfield has a good reputation for blacks.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,973 times
People who judge based solely on race are misguided, people nowadays are more concerned about socioeconomic status. Whatever people's race is doesn't matter.

I live in Royal Oak on a street that is 100% Caucasian and >50% of them act like they are one step up from the trailer park.....

Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you can do that, if you want. It doesn't make much sense, as 95% of Detroit isn't like that, but if you want to think of the places with professional blacks to be extension of a few Detroit neighborhoods with similar demographic, then go right ahead.

It would be like saying that Pontiac is an extension of Bloomfield Township, because there is a small crappy area of Bloomfield right next to Pontiac. If that's how you want to view things, then no one's stopping you.

Quote:

Riverview
Frasier
Center Line
Keego Harbor
Garden City

I seriously doubt you're considering these areas and are probably trolling, but sure.

Riverview is an unremarkable downriver suburb middle to lower middle class. Frasier is basically the same in Macomb County. Center Line is a somewhat crappy working class suburb that is basically an extension of South Warren. Keego Harbor is an Oakland County lake suburb with both crappy areas and nicer lakefront areas (and WB schools), Garden City is a working class Wayne County suburb probably slightly less desirable than Riverview or Frasier, but slightly more desirable than Center Line.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,669,471 times
Quote:

Lol, "helpful answer..."

Quote:
...I seriously doubt you're considering these areas and are probably trolling, but sure...
I think the point was that you often come across as a troll so... no, no, I'm just feeding, you know what? Nevermind. Thanks for your input. I'm sure some people find it helpful, I just hope they all read the mountain of posts here that tend to conflict with yours. You been to Center Line lately? Or... just decided it's a "crappy suburb" based on your personal interpretation of some half-decade old census numbers and that mountain of preconceived notions you hold strongly to?

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 07-21-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
You been to Center Line lately?
No, I haven't. Why would that be helpful?

Are you saying I should ignore actual data and "visit", as if going to a Center Line Applebees will suddenly avail me of the "secret" Census data hidden under the nachos?
Quote:
Or... just decided it's a "crappy suburb" based on your personal interpretation of some half-decade old census numbers and that mountain of preconceived notions you hold strongly to?
Actually, yeah. That's exactly how I decided.

How do you suggest I judge a town, if not by using data and inference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit