Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:59 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I recently moved into the Midtown area at a prime rate (I don't even want to talk about it) thinking it was a artsier, more pre-2005 Royal Oak alternative to the boring burbs. What a joke. This area is still a complete cesspool. You can't leave your apartment/house to walk to the store without being accosted (sometimes aggressively) by panhandlers and thugs. Section 8 is literally everywhere, with a lot of the apartment complexes functioning as quasi-Projects. Cars parked on the street can routinely be seen with their steering wheels locked with The Club (must be natives who know the way things actually work around the area). There is a block of 3rd street with two homeless shelters on it that has literally been turned in a refugee camp, with garbage and furniture strewn across the entire area. UGH... why did I do this.
The section of Midtown that has the two homeless shelters is not the section of Midtown that yuppies are moving to, and is BLOCKS AWAY from where the yuppies live. This is the section of Midtown around Martin Luther King, Jr and 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue, and around Cass Park - not gentrified yet.

So what part of Midtown do you live in? The North Cass area (near Wayne State), the Art Center area(near College for Creative Studies, the Cultural Center, and north of the DMC) is fantastic, with a new business opening up seemingly every other week.

The Brush Park (just north of the baseball stadium) and South Cass (think the Masonic Temple, and homeless shelters) areas has not gotten there yet (due in large part to Mike Ilitch holding on to so much of the land for his hockey stadium and the "District Detroit").

Yes, you might run into some panhandlers - they are in Royal Oak, too. This is an urban area.

There is really no reason to go down Third Street south of Alexandrine. Near that corner, though, They are building a Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken; the Cinema Detroit is there, a new florist is there, and an historic bar is being renovated there. So it's getting better.

Are you ready for 'the best fried chicken in the world'? | Blogs | Detroit Metro Times

New Bar Claims Formerly Seedy Willis Showplace Space in Cass Corridor - Eater Detroit

https://cinemadetroit.com/

Midtown is in transition, Royal Oak never hit bottom like Midtown, so you are still gonna see lower class people there - but it's still BETTER than pre-2005 Royal Oak. Just know in some small way that you are contributing to th rebirth of America's hardest hit city and please appreciate all of the great things going on down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
First, I'm not scared, I'm pissed. I have more street smarts than you'd ever hope to have. I told one the other day I'd kill him if ever asked me for "thirty cent" ever again. Dumbass asked me not a day later in front of the same spot. Waste of life.
Soooo......did you kill him? If not....Obviously he is not as dumb as you think because he got you figured out.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:27 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
I have talked to literally hundreds of people who move to Detroit and end up feeling the exact same way. I live in the Detroit area, was born there and I would never live in Detroit itself. I haven't seen much improvement there for me to live there and I am in the city frequently. There's too much corruption and negativity. It's sad.

An "artsier, pre-2005 Royal Oak"...not sure you are gonna find that in Michigan lol.
What is so sad about a neighborhood within which:
- a ton of new restaurants and bars have opened up recently
- where once crumbling apartment buildings are being restored
- where new apartment buildings have been built
- where unique retail options have opened
- where a new streetcar being built
- where a new hockey stadium is being built?

what is so sad about this:

becoming this:

What is so sad about the resurrection of the Garden Theater Block

You do know that CHICAGO is known for its corruption, and that city has a LOT OF NEGATIVITY surrounding it because of the minimum 60 people/weekend that are shot there. Is Chicago a city you wouldn't live in either? If not, then why do you call yourself citylover?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 AM

514 posts, read 764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
The section of Midtown that has the two homeless shelters is not the section of Midtown that yuppies are moving to, and is BLOCKS AWAY from where the yuppies live. This is the section of Midtown around Martin Luther King, Jr and 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue, and around Cass Park - not gentrified yet.

So what part of Midtown do you live in? The North Cass area (near Wayne State), the Art Center area(near College for Creative Studies, the Cultural Center, and north of the DMC) is fantastic, with a new business opening up seemingly every other week.

The Brush Park (just north of the baseball stadium) and South Cass (think the Masonic Temple, and homeless shelters) areas has not gotten there yet (due in large part to Mike Ilitch holding on to so much of the land for his hockey stadium and the "District Detroit").

Yes, you might run into some panhandlers - they are in Royal Oak, too. This is an urban area.

There is really no reason to go down Third Street south of Alexandrine. Near that corner, though, They are building a Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken; the Cinema Detroit is there, a new florist is there, and an historic bar is being renovated there. So it's getting better.

Are you ready for 'the best fried chicken in the world'? | Blogs | Detroit Metro Times

New Bar Claims Formerly Seedy Willis Showplace Space in Cass Corridor - Eater Detroit

https://cinemadetroit.com/

Midtown is in transition, Royal Oak never hit bottom like Midtown, so you are still gonna see lower class people there - but it's still BETTER than pre-2005 Royal Oak. Just know in some small way that you are contributing to th rebirth of America's hardest hit city and please appreciate all of the great things going on down there.
Uhhh,no. I am talking about the Forest & 2nd street area. There are panhandlers EVERYWHERE. They stand outside Hopcat, Jolly Pumpkin, Marcus Market, because they have figured out this where the people with money are coming to hang out. It is awful. I don't know why there isn't a law against it.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Uhhh,no. I am talking about the Forest & 2nd street area. There are panhandlers EVERYWHERE. They stand outside Hopcat, Jolly Pumpkin, Marcus Market, because they have figured out this where the people with money are coming to hang out. It is awful. I don't know why there isn't a law against it.
I'm far from a Gilbertbot, but have to say it's more than a little naive to be surprised at the presence of panhandlers in a city. They are in every major city in the U.S. They are also out near me regularly standing at the freeway exits in the wealthy western Oakland County suburbs. As you rightly point out, they congregate where they money is.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:02 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
I'm not sure I can think of anything less urban than berating a homeless person.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:10 PM

406 posts, read 768,923 times
why do people who regularly complain about hating Detroit think we are dumb enough to believe they moved to Detroit? Lmao what a joke

Old 07-05-2016, 12:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
I recently moved into the Midtown area at a prime rate (I don't even want to talk about it) thinking it was a artsier, more pre-2005 Royal Oak alternative to the boring burbs. What a joke. This area is still a complete cesspool. You can't leave your apartment/house to walk to the store without being accosted (sometimes aggressively) by panhandlers and thugs. Section 8 is literally everywhere, with a lot of the apartment complexes functioning as quasi-Projects. Cars parked on the street can routinely be seen with their steering wheels locked with The Club (must be natives who know the way things actually work around the area). There is a block of 3rd street with two homeless shelters on it that has literally been turned in a refugee camp, with garbage and furniture strewn across the entire area. UGH... why did I do this.
On another thread, there were some homers claiming that 8 Mile road was totally safe, and the badlands of John R/State Fair, were great places to live, and when I objected, citing actual crime data, I was shut down by said homers.

Long story short- if you aren't toeing the company line "Detroit is booming, revitalized, safe and desirable for all" you will be attacked in this forum. Usage of actual data or facts will lead to condemnation.

Re. Midtown- it's noticeably better than 10 years ago, and some good restaurants have opened, but that's about it. I would still not live there, not even for free. It's still generally unsafe, the number of restaurants/amenities is still spotty, pedestrian traffic is minimal, and still tons of abandoned buildings/lots.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:

You drank the kool aid!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:36 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
I have more street smarts than you'd ever hope to have. I told one the other day I'd kill him if ever asked me for "thirty cent" ever again. Dumbass asked me not a day later in front of the same spot. Waste of life.
So...you're a loud mouth who talks a lot of trash but doesn't back up his insane threats? Because, after all, you threatened his life and he still approached you with the same request you said he'd die for if he did it again...

Threatening a homeless person isn't evidence of "street smarts" - it's the exact opposite. For someone with literally nothing to lose, killing YOU is a far less significant moral dilemma than for any C-D poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit