Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times

Advertisements

Good timing for this ... CNBC just listed the D among the top 15 cities to live in on 50K / year or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the "snowball" effect....is in effect. I think Illich and Gilbert broke the inertia and started rolling the snowball to the point that there is so much energy and momentum going now that the growth will continue on its own. Growth begets growth....decline begets decline. Hence, Detroit is going to grow the same way that it declined and the most important thing is that there has been a REAL turnaround. It took Detroit decades to fall like it did and its not going to come back in a single decade, but its now going in the right direction.
What if someone got Moroun in on this?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What if someone got Moroun in on this?
You mean if any areas start getting too nice and we need them ruined and returned to slums? Good idea. Put him in the rollodex under slum or ruins.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Yeah, like as if Illitch and Gilbert never owned abandoned buildings.

How about this: I think all stadiums should be publicly owned. It is horrific that a single individual should own a stadium. (fake outrage)

Old 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yeah, like as if Illitch and Gilbert never owned abandoned buildings.

How about this: I think all stadiums should be publicly owned. It is horrific that a single individual should own a stadium. (fake outrage)
Certainly none of them are angels, but Moroun is the worst of the bunch IMO. No redeeming qualities at all. I have never found anyone to say anything good about him or his companies, not even the people who work for him.

Not just a question of buying an abandoned building, with Moroun it is a question of buying in a decent area and creating a slum so he can buy the rest more cheaply and tear it all down. Also a question of having no regard whatsoever for devastating impacts on residents etc.

While Illitch is also alleged to have engaged in slum creation in the past (not aware of any such assertions re: gilbert), he has also done considerable good for the city. Mouroun seems to do good only for himself and appears to prefer doing it in the most damaging way to others that is possible. However that is just my take on the events (and apparently, the Canadians' and a large number of people on the US side too I think it would be in agreement).

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You mean if any areas start getting too nice and we need them ruined and returned to slums? Good idea. Put him in the rollodex under slum or ruins.
I meant as in there's a cold day in hell and he has a change of heart in how he does things.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 8,659 times
Hi all, I am so thrilled about Detroit comeback...I live in Philly..been watching various cities and somehow my heart skips for Detroit..I understand it's passion, strength and longevity despite the blatant social and economic issues this country has verved through... Like Philly I've prayed for Detroit though these cities' histories are somewhat dissimilar yet inherently parallel. Enough said I am so grateful for the generosity and kindness of Quicken Loans Founder and CEO Dan Gilbert's vision of the New Detroit... Furthermore I looking forward to the totality of an entire Detroit percolating with growth and success for all it's residents...After living in Camden, Philly, Memphis and Pittsburgh, I am too making a comeback in my life with my life...looking forward to the new me that embraces life from ruins to empires...that's how I see Detroit's comeback not ruined though but blooming again and forever...After finishing my degree in mathematics I hope that I will be able before 2020 to relocate to such and heartfelt and deserving city...Detroit,Michigan. Many, many thanks to Former President Obama too...for helping a King "The City of Detroit" rise once more...and also to President Trump..may he raise up a nation...we all must unite...all colors, faiths, orientations ....cf "Pepper Viking"

Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM

[quote=MS313;46791190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The Millender already has units available though. It's not vacant. The Leland I don't think is vacant from looking at recent Google reviews about the place. In fact I think all the ones you mentioned already has plans in the works if it is completely vacant. So Gilbert assuming these plans come to fruition... there probably will be 10-15 new high rises in various stages in the next 5 years. 5 out of that 15 will probably end up getting cancelled for whatever reason.

Detroit might not be the only city doing it... but it IS the only city with great bones and alot of space in the core that is the center of a fairly wealthy large region of 5+ million people with a big economy and still pretty cheap. Downtown Detroit almost has it's own "sim city" right now just waiting to be taken to the next level. At the end of the day I think those facts are going to separate Detroit from the smaller cities with a booming downtown.
Millender is occupied, but they still want to re-do it and it needs it badly. Leeland is partly occupied but the conditions are terrible. Some floors cannot be occupied (and are reportedly used as blowing alley by some residents). Lots of things do not work at times or all the time. I am not sure they even have AC - on hot days the occupied windows are usually open. The basement fills with water. There are lots of parts of the building that are off limits because they are not safe. It is occupied by the fringe/artsy community. At least is is inexpensive. However there are plans in the works to restore it to is former glory and make it luxury apartments. They need close to $100 million from what I have heard. It is hard to put those packages together. Stott is part way done. I know of four "new" high rises that are in the works, depending on the definition of high rise and new. (Is an addition to an existing building a "new" high rise? Is ten floors a high rise?

Some day they will get round to tearing down joe Louis and building the promised mix use complex there. Maybe the riverfront will finally become an appreciated resource.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
Gilbert is a loan shark. His PR is more effective than Moroun's but they both swing wrecking balls through neighborhoods. High rises are disasters on the layaway plan.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:51 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,729,551 times
^ You sure are a barrel of sunshine.

Comparing Gilbert to Moroun is like comparing apples to elephants. Apples and oranges are too similar for this comparison. Moroun has done nothing but collect money and let his properties deteriorate. Gilbert not only maintains his properties, he improves them. There is no comparison. You don't have to like Gilbert, but he has done a heck of a lot more for the city that Moroun ever has. And while it is on a smaller scale, he does not ignore the neighborhoods. The Rehabbed and Ready program is still selling houses, last I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit