Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times

Advertisements

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...staggers+state

Its pretty sad -the young and educated families leave - the poor and old stay. The future can't be bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,640 times
it's a shame how some people rather runaway from a problem instead of trying to fix it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 AM

214 posts, read 725,251 times
People dont want to fix it...they vote the same inept government into office who raise taxes and send small businesses/new businesses running for the south...it's never going to change here...

My fiancee and I both left SE MI for Houston. I make 130k/year (computer consultant) and she makes 70k/year (RN, ER).

Houston is like another world...we come back to MI and wonder why we didnt leave earlier. My friends/cousins can't wait to graduate and leave as well. If housing prices werent so upside down I think you would see a much larger exodus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
it's a shame how some people rather runaway from a problem instead of trying to fix it.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 AM

detroit WILL change. that is a fact. it may not change next year or the year after but eventually people will start to invest in the city. detroit is very cheap for a city. people will start to take advantage of this and start fixing it up. but if everyone has a mentality like "oh well. detroit is doomed. why should i even care when i can just move away." then im just wasting my time too then. if everyone really wants detroit to hit a new low, then keep up with that kind of thinking.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times
GDK did you actually read the article? The ones with education and jobs are leaving just like Erik. Who will be left to make those changes? The elderly? Criminals?

I think Detroit ( and Buffalo is like this too) has great old buildings and its summers are much nicer than anywhere in Texas but cold winters,high crime, high and a poor real estate tax system, and few jobs are what's killing it.

Erik U - GDK there is a revised site that covers Detroit and discusses this and more. Maybe Erik's experiences would be helpful
Discuss Detroit - DetroitYES Forums

By the way Rockport is to Houston what Houston was to Detroit - almost no crime - nicer weather nd friendlier but of course not that many jobs -its a small coastal town outside of Corpus- no traffic.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM

233 posts, read 701,404 times
Quote:
Yeah stay and live on welfare, or move in with relatives or go somewhere else where they can work and support their families. Terrible people.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,391 times
Quote:
Just go take a look at any public transportation topic in Michigan or Metro Detroit area or go take a look at any topic about getting rid or reducing of unions in Michigan. People are wanting to fix the issues, but they get out weighed by people not wanting to fix it.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM

look, you guys are missing the point. there were plenty of cities in the northeast in the 70's-90's that were either equally bad as detroit or worst like philadelphia, newark, camden, nyc, jersey city, baltimore, DC, ect ect. yea, i know their still not perfect, but their heaven compared to how they were. cities all over america were becoming worse and worse, but it turned around.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
So true.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 AM

91 posts, read 297,775 times
Quote:
Cant blame anybody for leaving here there's no future for most bright people here anymore. And on top of that you can fix something that does not want to be fixed in the first place. Detroit will never be fixed until you can find a way to move or kick out 75% of the people who live there now cause they are the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit