Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Auburn Hills is NOT upscale.
I agree that Auburn Hells is NOT upscale; it has always been Hillbilly Heaven! 25yrs. ago those places is where we went to pick apples, get organic milk, chickens, honey or fresh turkeys. NOW? its Double-Wide Trailer Trash.

An old brick estate with a gatehouse, stables, house in back for the groundskeeper? NOW THAT IS MONEY, and how to live.
As for the ridiculous comment that bashed the "shpping in Grosse Pointe is bad, surroundded by Detroit"...YOU must have never lived or shopped there as I had. We used to shop at the Kroger on Kercheval, or Produce markets. The area for shopping?
Its called "On the Hill"...on Kercheval Ave...The Jacobsons', the Linen shoppes, jewelry stores, all that is THE place to shop when living in Grosse Pointe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:38 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Good suburbs - (my opinion, not fact...entertainment purposes only)
Sterling Heights - amenities galore if that's your thing....
Ann Arbor - "diversified" in just about every aspect...
Grosse Isle - isolated....
Troy - see Sterling Heights....
Wyandotte - unique considering its surroundings..
Utica/Shelby Township - see Troy and Sterling Heights....
Royal Oak - a mini Windsor... (Canada)
Dearborn - reminiscents of what Detroit used to be and could be...

Bad - (remember, it's just my opinion, not fact...entertainment purposes only..)

Melvindale - it's not called "Smellvindale" for nothing...think of a tiny hillbilly city and you have Melvindale...
Lincoln Park - it's not called "Stinkin' Park" for nothing...badly managed municipality...
Southfield - segregated...
Livonia - segregated....
Warren - poor man's version of Sterling Heights....
Westland - it's not called "Wasteland" for nothing...
Inkster - *______________
Dearborn Heights - poor man's version of Dearborn
Taylor - country people trying to live city-life ...
Highland Park - a perpetual wasteland stuck in time....
River Rouge - what a crappy area considering it lies the river, it would be prime estate anywhere else...
Ecorse - see River Rouge...
St. Clair Shores - strange "caste-system" neighborhood...poor on the bottom part of town, middle class in the middle part of town, and well-to-do in the upper part of town only to have contaiminated canals, most of the city (along Lake St. Clair) was built thanks to trash..
Romulus - who loves being harassed by the sound of air jet-liners all day??...

Old 04-12-2008, 03:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Actully I know six families who live in rhichester hills All make over $1 million/year. The places where they live and surrounding areas are certainly high end.

I also work with 14 people who live in the Grosse Pointes. All of them love it there but say the same thing about shopping. (i.e. it is a long drive to get where they feel safe).

Old 04-12-2008, 07:04 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,710 times
Well, thank you all for the replies. This is great. I noticed people saying Auburn Hills is not upscale. Are you saying it is trashy and nasty, or is it a nice place to live just more affordable then say parts of Oakland County. I was looking at two main areas that I like. Bloomfield Township (Bloomfield Hills) and Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, and Grosse Pointe Shores.

Can you tell me about the Boston-Edison neighborhood in Detroit?? is that a good investment? Also, I have heard Highland Park was nasty. Glad this forum backs that up. Is Holly a nice place? Is it an ideal place to live considering how far it is from Downtown Detroit?? Thanks again,

Old 04-12-2008, 08:01 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Good suburbs - (my opinion, not fact...entertainment purposes only)
Sterling Heights - amenities galore if that's your thing....
Ann Arbor - "diversified" in just about every aspect...
Grosse Isle - isolated....
Troy - see Sterling Heights....
Wyandotte - unique considering its surroundings..
Utica/Shelby Township - see Troy and Sterling Heights....
Royal Oak - a mini Windsor... (Canada)
Dearborn - reminiscents of what Detroit used to be and could be...

Bad - (remember, it's just my opinion, not fact...entertainment purposes only..)

Melvindale - it's not called "Smellvindale" for nothing...think of a tiny hillbilly city and you have Melvindale...
Lincoln Park - it's not called "Stinkin' Park" for nothing...badly managed municipality...
Southfield - segregated...
Livonia - segregated....
Warren - poor man's version of Sterling Heights....
Westland - it's not called "Wasteland" for nothing...
Inkster - *______________
Dearborn Heights - poor man's version of Dearborn
Taylor - country people trying to live city-life ...
Highland Park - a perpetual wasteland stuck in time....
River Rouge - what a crappy area considering it lies the river, it would be prime estate anywhere else...
Ecorse - see River Rouge...
St. Clair Shores - strange "caste-system" neighborhood...poor on the bottom part of town, middle class in the middle part of town, and well-to-do in the upper part of town only to have contaiminated canals, most of the city (along Lake St. Clair) was built thanks to trash..
Romulus - who loves being harassed by the sound of air jet-liners all day??...
It is such a comfort to know prejudice and narrow-mindedness is still alive and well.

I'd like to know how many of these places you've been to and really experienced. Dearborn Heights the poor man's version of Dearborn? I've lived here all my life and we make a good living here. Homes in my subdivision continually surprise me by getting up to $200,000 for modest three bedroom homes. I am not fond of the city, it's boring, etc, but it is a nice place to call home and obviously people still want to call it home by dishing out that much to live here. And they are building and have been building million to two million dollar homes on Cherry Hill and Beech Daly, and smaller homes in the neighborhoods continually get dozed down for $300k dollar houses. I don't really like this practice, but the median income of DH is certainly on the rise. I'd rather live in Dearborn Heights than Dearborn. So many people think Dearborn can do no wrong and has no bad neighborhoods. In fact it is a big misshaped city which has parts that poke down by Detroit and River Rouge and a great deal of east Dearborn covered in blight. Most people think "Dearborn" and think Outer Drive, Michigan Ave and Monroe (Which people will call downtown Dearborn, which is totally wrong. Downtown Dearborn is Michigan and Schaefer.) Sure these areas are nice but they sure aren't this ideallistic place.

And yeah we've all heard the nicknames: Taylortucky, Hazeltucky, Smellvindale, Wasteland, Garbage City, Dearborn Frights, Smellvindale. Don't forget about the nicknames for your "good suburbs" such as Sterile Whites (Sterling Heights). Anyone can come up with nicknames, even a two year old. Does that mean they are bad places? Not a chance. I'll take my Wasteland and Garbage City with a good deal of great down to earth people and a great deal of character of your Richester Hills and Sterile Whites covered in urban sprawl and lack of city planning, poorly constructed McMansions, and desolate gridded roads. I agree with everyone here that says they'll take the old money of Indian Village as a REAL wealthy place over the new wealth of West Bloomfield and Rochester Hills.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Well, thank you all for the replies. This is great. I noticed people saying Auburn Hills is not upscale. Are you saying it is trashy and nasty, or is it a nice place to live just more affordable then say parts of Oakland County. I was looking at two main areas that I like. Bloomfield Township (Bloomfield Hills) and Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, and Grosse Pointe Shores.

Can you tell me about the Boston-Edison neighborhood in Detroit?? is that a good investment? Also, I have heard Highland Park was nasty. Glad this forum backs that up. Is Holly a nice place? Is it an ideal place to live considering how far it is from Downtown Detroit?? Thanks again,
My dad lives close to Auburn Hills. I wouldn't call it trashy, it just isn't ritzy. Middle of the road. My dad lives in Bloomfield Township. Nice place, kinda dull though. One of the wealthiest zips codes in the country. Bloomfield Hills is REAL old money.

Highland Park is best left avoided. My grandmother grew up there and it is a tragedy to see what it is now.

Couldn't tell you much about Holly, but I've heard good things.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:58 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,710 times
Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:07 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
It is such a comfort to know prejudice and narrow-mindedness is still alive and well.

I'd like to know how many of these places you've been to and really experienced.
So you noticed my general disdain for suburbs?!

Grew up in southwest Detroit near Delray!

Lived in Melvindale and Lincoln Park. "Experienced" all the towns listed.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 AM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post

The areas that you have mentioned are all nice.
1. Bloomfield Hills (Township) are both nice places to live, some of the best schools in the country for a matter a fact. Very nice homes, and great city and township services.

2. Grosse Pointe, Farms, and Shores are all very nice also, not diverse at all. But they have great schools. And the houses and neighborhoods all have tree-lined and beautiful (as many of the Bloomfield neighborhoods are), the main difference that I see with the Grosse Pointes and the Bloomfields are that GP is on the water which gives it a different feel, it is also a eastside city. The Bloomfields are not very diverse, but are more diverse than the Pointes for sure.

Grosse Pointe
97.18% White, 0.79% African American, 0.07% Native American, 1.04% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander

Bloomfield Township
87.70% White, 4.30% Black or African American, 0.08% Native American, 6.47% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander

The Boston-Edison neighborhood is one of the nicest in the City of Detroit, I would say second after Indian Village. The nice thing about these neighborhoods is that you can get a large house without paying the huge price that you would pay in the Pointes or Bloomfields. The taxes are also lower than the more upscale suburbs. If you do not mind living within Detroit city limits Indian Village or Boston-Edison would not be a bad area to look in to.

Holly would be a long commute to downtown, you would most likely get very tired of it very quickly, and with gas going up, the less commuting the better!! Don't get me wrong though the City of Holly is very nice, it is more rural than any of the areas that I have mentioned before, but still is a beautiful area.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 AM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/4b/250px-Indian_Village_Detroit.JPG (broken link)
This is Indian Village in Detroit.

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)
Boston-Edison has the same style of homes.

The Pointes have these style of homes also (older updates)
__________________________________________________ ______________

http://www.realestateone.com/property_images/41/E25157041_101.JPG (broken link)
The Bloomfields have newer McMansions, in more modern subs. This is an example of a modern typical house in Bloomfield Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit