Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 12,227 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I will be working in Wyandotte this upcoming fall and am looking into where to live. I grew up in Novi but have no intentions to live at home or live that far out. I would like to live within a half hour commute of Wyandotte but I really don't know the surrounding are that well.

I would like to live in a nice new apartment as I have lived in crappy college apartments without air conditioning for the past three years and am willing to splurge a little for something better. I would like to live somewhere younger maybe with a bar scene. Does anyone know the area surrounding Wyandotte well and have any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Well I would recommend Wyandotte! It is the Royal Oak of Downriver. Nice downtown, somewhat progressive, artsy. There are nice newer condos which I'm sure would fit your needs pretty well. There are SOME apartments, but not sure really how many are "newer". The condos are newer, but I think the apartments are generally typical, but not crappy college. There are condos on the water (and I've seen them as cheap as 80k with a water view up til about 160k for a townhouse) built from the late 80s up til a few years ago, and some newer ones in the neighborhoods currently being built. Wyandotte's home stock is pretty old, which lends itself to having a lot of two family homes, so you could probably find an upper flat pretty easily. Wyandotte has a lot of bars actually. There are a few in the neighborhoods, like the Oak Cafe on Oak Street (also by a local market), lots of other business is the neighborhoods too, bakeries etc. There's an Irish Pub downtown, an art gallery, a bunch of restaurants, stores, Jimmy Johns, etc etc. It is really a cool place to live. If you tell me your price range I can look around and send you a few links for apartments.

There are some nice apartments in Riverview, or what look nice, along Fort Street south of Sibley. Also the Village Green is Southgate is supposed to be nice, and there's another pretty nice looking apartment complex in Southgate around Trenton Rd and Leroy St. The name escapes me.

These areas are also about 10 minutes from Wyandotte.

Can I ask where you will be working there?

Downriver is really an underappreciated place and there's lots of things to do!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
I will second Wyandotte, it seems like it would fit your profile. And you would be close to your work. Another city that is not in the Downriver area but also seems to suit young people is Hamtramck, the city has many restaurants and bars and the housing, condos, renting, etc is all very low. Most of the houses are kept up well, just stay away of the areas ajoining Detroit City limits.

Cities that I would avoid in downriver and metro:
-River Rouge
-Lincoln Park (northern section)
-Inkster

Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 AM

104 posts, read 375,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
It is the Royal Oak of Downriver. Nice downtown, somewhat progressive, artsy.
I'm not going to bash Wyandotte or anything but I have to totally disagree with this. IMO, Wyandotte is FAR from being any of those things. If you go there thinking that you will be disappointed.

The downtown is decent. Shop somes, coffee houses, a couple of bars. Nothing ultra exciting or as "hip" as anything in Royal Oak. There's what? Maybe one or two art galleries, nothing I'd call progressive or artsy.

Wyandotte is just like the rest of downriver--Middle to lower middle class with pockects of people doing better than the rest.

It would be pretty to live near the water. I don't think you'd have trouble finding a nice apt or condo in the area.

Downriver is not far from Det (obvs) so you can be close to games, concerts, etc.. and that's cool.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 AM

45 posts, read 276,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmom View Post
Downriver is not far from Det (obvs) so you can be close to games, concerts, etc.. and that's cool.
Yeah, but unless you want to go downtown Detroit or to Windsor, it's pretty far from everything else in the metro. Heck, it even takes 20-30 minutes to get downtown, so it's not THAT close, especially if you live in Wyandotte, which is a bit off of I-75. You can get to downtown just as fast living near I-75 in Madison Heights.

The airport is close, but you have to take local roads so what's the advantage? You can get to the airport just as fast from Northville.

It's not even that close to Ann Arbor. I suppose it's good for those wanting to visit Toledo or Cedar Point often. Otherwise, there are much more convenient locations along I-275 and I-696.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 AM

104 posts, read 375,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcat View Post
so it's not THAT close, especially if you live in Wyandotte, which is a bit off of I-75. You can get to downtown just as fast living near I-75 in Madison Heights.

The airport is close, but you have to take local roads so what's the advantage? You can get to the airport just as fast from Northville.

It's not even that close to Ann Arbor. .
Ah, point taken. Lol, for me growing up in Wyandotte once I was a teenager we were going to Det all the times for concerts and stuff. I guess when you're around 15 you are not thinking of proximity. I always remember thinking it didn't take that long to get there.

I also went to college in AA so I'm familiar with the area and the drive back and forth so Wyandotte *feels* close to AA. Same as Detroit *feeling* close to downriver. My Dh and I are still way under 35 and no longer live downriver. Again IMO it's bland and boring.

Honestly if you're college age you'll probably feel the same.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
If you don't mind a drive you could look in Detroit, although the nicer places are pricey. Midtown is very active with young people and you could enjoy the bars, restaurants and sporting events the city has to offer.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,988 times
Frankly if you want to live within a half hour of Wyandotte, Wyandotte is the best place. It's a nice little town. Very attractive. Bishop Park is nice, the river is lovely, good restaurants, some bars. No it's not as progressive as Royal Oak, but it is easily the artsiest place downriver, and the best looking town down that way. There are a good amount of upper flat renting opportunities too.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Living close to work has a strong positive impact on quality of life, not to mention the wallet with gas prices, so it might be a good idea give Wyandotte a try. Since you will be renting you can always move later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit