Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 AM

21 posts, read 53,645 times

Advertisements

I'll be Moving from Minnesota to Detroit (can choose Southfield or Wyandotte). I would hate to buy something in a good neighborhood and then see it turn into a ghetto. It happened to me when I moved to Brooklyn Park in Minneapolis and a lot of black ghetto people moved into the new houses as banks were giving away loans. After a few months the value of my home went down 70,000 and I was lucky to be able to get out of there. I hear that these people are also moving to good neighborhoods in Detroit and making noise at night, not paying their bills and grouping themselves in houses to be able to afford living there. I saw this in Brooklyn Park and I don't want to live through that hell again.
Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
In the short term, rent rather than buy. Housing prices aren't going up anytime soon. Mortgate rates might rise, but if they do, then the economy is probably tanking - and your job might disappear.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM

491 posts, read 1,122,165 times
Your job necessitates you moving to either Southfield or Wyandotte?

Southfield is largely black, though not, from what I've seen or remember, generally "ghetto" people.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 AM

The office can be at either place. Wyandotte would be a better bet since the facility is pretty big and the Southfield office might be consolidated with Wyandotte in the future. I can work from home some days if I need to. I was considering Ann Arbor: Saline or Pittsfield. I do not know if this would be a poor investment though.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM

491 posts, read 1,122,165 times
No buying in metro Detroit now is not a wise "investment" at all, regardless of the city.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,909,024 times
Ann Arbor is considered more desirable by most. Cost of living is a bit higher. Here's the problem with metro Detroit: our housing market is, unless you're rich, one big Brooklyn Park, only this one is probably a thousand square miles of it. Housing prices are not likely to go seriously lower, so buying is okay in that regard, but they say price reinforces exclusivity, and when you can go buy a brick house (a lot of metro Detroiters greatly prefer brick) for $40K, almost anyone can go buy one and neighborhood quality is slipping (Eastpointe, Roseville, much of Harper Woods, lesser areas in SCS). The problem is selling it; the mortgage market is tight. What's worse, renting is a fool's game. That same $40K house rents for $850 a month and I've seen houses only slightly nicer than that going for $1000.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Why woudl you go all the way to Ann Arbor or Saline? Wyndotte is a great place to live (if you do not have kids). Trenton is nice. Woodhaven, Southgate, Riverview are all nice basic suburban communities. Grosse Ile is one of the nicest communities in Michigan.

Real estate prices are not likely to go up, but Michigan has been in a recession since about 2005 or 2006 and this area of downriver is not faring too badly. IN fact a lot of new stores and resturaunts have opened up.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,909,024 times
I don't think she meant commuting from A2 to Wyandotte- I think she meant there was an opening in Washtenaw County.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Taking it all in

Thanks everybody
US66 and coldjensens.
US, your comment about renting caught my attention because I couldn't find a decent place. The rents are higher than here and how can that be when Detroit has so many vacan houses?. That is why I was inclined to buy. See, I can't buy becuse I don't want to lose another 70 to 100 thou and I can't rent a decent townhouse for less than $1800-2,000.
Coldjensens: I chose Saline because it is a suburb of AA and it has AA schooling and I assume it won't go down in value as much as Wyandotte. The problem is that it is 36 miles from work.

I wish I could live in Windsor

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

348 posts, read 638,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulatrb View Post
Thanks everybody
US66 and coldjensens.
US, your comment about renting caught my attention because I couldn't find a decent place. The rents are higher than here and how can that be when Detroit has so many vacan houses?. That is why I was inclined to buy. See, I can't buy becuse I don't want to lose another 70 to 100 thou and I can't rent a decent townhouse for less than $1800-2,000.
Coldjensens: I chose Saline because it is a suburb of AA and it has AA schooling and I assume it won't go down in value as much as Wyandotte. The problem is that it is 36 miles from work.

I wish I could live in Windsor
I think you can. They do have a special ID card and fast lane....for "frequent flyers" across the border.
And downtown Windsor is embarking on some major improvement projects. Capital investments in infrastructure and education which will definitely be making it more interesting.....long term.
Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit