Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
People of color in the Carolinas, DC, Boston and New York generally are much less friendly and seem to live up to the stereotype more often. Just from my experiences, I may have just met a bad bunch in my experiences in those places.
Interesting....It could be that they are just busier considering the pace of life in those cities. As for the Carolinas, that could be the same thing depending on where you are, but besides that, I can't call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Quote:
It's not about who puts the "heat" on anyone. There is a certain criteria that has to be met and it goes in various ways. Table 1 - Hate Crime Statistics 2008

Incidents and Offenses - Hate Crime Statistics, 2008

Again, every interracial crime isn't considered a "hate crime" even those that include Blacks and other minorities as victims.
I'm well aware of the elements of what has been legislated as "hate crime". However at some point in the process a somewhat subjective analysis will be done to determine if the crime is indeed a "hate crime" or if using a racial epithet (for example) had nothing to do with intent.

My contention is that there are far more organized groups and more individuals who will push for "hate crime" status for a crime when the victim is not "white" and the perpetrator is, than vice versa, due to racial politics.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I'm well aware of the elements of what has been legislated as "hate crime". However at some point in the process a somewhat subjective analysis will be done to determine if the crime is indeed a "hate crime" or if using a racial epithet (for example) had nothing to do with intent.

My contention is that there are far more organized groups and more individuals who will push for "hate crime" status for a crime when the victim is not "white" and the perpetrator is, than vice versa, due to racial politics.
Perhaps......It could also be that said groups just have more advocates as well due to many reasons.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
Far to much racial tension in Detroit for me. Atlanta and Memphis are the same if not worse !

Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
People of color in the Carolinas, DC, Boston and New York generally are much less friendly and seem to live up to the stereotype more often. Just from my experiences, I may have just met a bad bunch in my experiences in those places.
You are absolutely wrong about the Carolinas. I just moved to Charlotte from the Detroit area and the blacks down here are much more friendly than Detoit. They don't seem to have a grudge against you here like Detroiters.
But I would agree about DC, Boston, and NY.

And to answer the OP's question - Detroiters will welcome your possessions into their house whatever race you are LOL

Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 AM

282 posts, read 814,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStatesville View Post
You leave! You don't tell ME what to do!!!!
Troll.....

Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM

97 posts, read 238,622 times
I am Black myself, and frankly, there are a lot of black racists to and fro, especially in mostly populated cities with blacks such as Detroit. My fellow black people, this is not a time to be arrogant, but to give other racis, not white people, other racis, a chance to be accepted, because remember what happened to you. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,395,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
So many people are moving out, I do not believe that you will be ostracized. There are a lot of whites moving back to many of the elegant or historic neighborhoods (but not enough). Also many of the historic neighborhoods and the Downtown/Midtown area have PLENTY of white folks that live there. Also there are a good number of whites that still live in Southwest Detroit and the horrific neighborhood of Brightmoor.

Now, if you moved to an 98 percent black neighborhood that is decline (which is what most of the city is), then the folks might look at you kind of strange...but besides the occasional "go back to the suburbs" remark by some jerk, you will not be recieved coldly.
I was not going to reply but as I read more of your comments I just want to correct you on a couple of things. I understand that most of Detroit is black from your posts it seems like you're trying to portray areas like Rosedale and Downtown to be "oh so white" and most of the whites in Detroit live in "oh so great" neighborhoods smh. Maybe you're not trying to come off that way but that is what I'm getting from your posts.

To everyone the fact of the matter is majority of white people in Detroit stay in SW in working class neighborhoods or "the hood". Do not have the idea that moving to southwest as opposed to moving to the eastside or westside or northend will mean you will face less racism. SW is still MAJORITY LATINO (mostly mexican followed by puerto rican and dominican). Last I checked its not as if they still don't divide SW by race since I hear most people call different areas "black side", "white side", "mexican town" etc. Secondly Latinos are not immuned to being racist, not even towards white people. I would also say I see more white people in eastside ghettos than I do in Rosedale Park or Sherwood forest smh. Majority of the "affluent" areas are still majority black. I don't think people will be just openly racist towards a white person for simply moving in. There are a few white people in my neighborhood and no one seems to mess with them or treat them differently. But that does not mean no one will be an ass. There are ignorant people in every race!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I don't think people will be just openly racist towards a white person for simply moving in. There are a few white people in my neighborhood and no one seems to mess with them or treat them differently. But that does not mean no one will be an ass. There are ignorant people in every race!
Definitely. Most people today are not racists. Although certain areas are identified by certain races/ethnicities, most communities are far more diverse than they were a century ago. This trend will only continue as new generations fill the ranks of our society. Young people are not carrying on the prejudices of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit