Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I would say don't do any diet. Just eat healthy and healthy foods that you like. Men's health has some very good eating healthy tips. I would also say to you to just find a workout regimen that you enjoy and like doing. Once you start, it will become habit, and when you want to eat those sweets or fattening foods, eat it, but don't make it a regular thing.

whew! thanks for the suggestion on not doing any diet. though i do understand that i have to be choosy on the food i eat. i've been staying off of sugary drinks so far. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 AM

15 posts, read 21,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
YES!

Back in December, a girl I knew growing up died from a stroke. I'd already started getting healthier but was only a couple weeks into it. That shocked and scared me. She was only ~2 years older than I am.

Last Friday, one of my classmates died from a heart attack. We are only 35. That makes me really sad.

Im sorry to hear that. we really have to pay greater attention to our health.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
My wake up call came in January when my doctor diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I'm 6 feet tall; I weighed 255 pounds at the time, high cholesterol, a sore back, and sleep apnea. I graduated high school at 155 pounds, college at 165 pounds. Thirteen years at a desk in front of a computer exacted a toll. Nine years of finishing up kids meals because I paid for the whole meal and hated to see any of it wasted abused my body.

I weighed in yesterday at 193 pounds. My goal is 180 pounds

My doctor said to try a lifestyle change first before prescribing any diabetic medicine. I'm on a low carb diet where I keep a food journal detailing my nutrient intake. I have tracked my carbs since January. I have it under control. I moved to fiber intake and have adjusted it higher. Fat... I'm still trying to bring that under control. Sodium is next on my list. I'm trying to do this without starving myself or depriving myself of nearly all of the food on this planet. I have ended up eating the most varied diet I have ever eaten in my life.

I have started running, but I haven't run in almost 15 years. I'm struggling with that. I've been holed up with Achilles tendonitis lately. So, my weight loss has been mostly due to diet. I know I have to heal up and exercise again. My cholesterol is worrying me. My last bloodwork indicated my cholesterol went down; however, my LDL went up and my HDL went down from a previous lab account. Therefore, I have to get out and exercise again to get the HDL up.

I have accomplished much, but I still have work to do. I'll reach 180 pounds. It has to be a sound 180.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,044 times
Did you try to Couch Potato to 5k plan to ease into running? Might be easier.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM

7 posts, read 26,524 times
I had always been really active until I started working 60-70 hour works weeks. I was a workaholic and while I wasn't working out, I wasn't eating healthy either. Before I knew it, I had packed on 20lbs of unwanted weight and was determined to lose it. A friend suggest that I try INSANITY from Beachbody and I had seen the informericals and decided to try it. IT'S AMAZING! A great and tough workout and it was something I could do in the privacy of my own home. It even came with a diet plan which really helped me out. It's been a complete lifestyle change. I'm now doing P90X and in the best shape of my life! If you want to check out the Beachbody website, take a look and see what you think. I promise you it will give you the result you want.

http://beachbodycoach.com/RevolutionFit (broken link)

Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM

248 posts, read 803,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
In May 2009, I weighed 208 pounds and found out that I was a type 2 diabetic. That wake up call forced me to change my eating habits, and I began exercising. A year and two months later, I am the fittest I have been since high school. I eat very clean, not on a diet though, and exercise 5-6 times a week. Now I weigh 175 pounds. I have about 10 more pounds to go if I want to be in my targeted recommended weight range. At age 43, I feel good, and I have more energy. Does anyone have any similar stories and pix to share on this thread?
Holy carp! Sounds like my wake up call. My Doc has been on my case for a couple of years to quit drinking, eat right and start exercising and of course I would blow it off....till she told me I'm showing signs of type ll diabetes. This was in the beginning of 2009 and since then I joined a gym, quit drinking for a few months (very moderate now) and completely changed my diet-I eat clean as possible.

My weight was 215 (I'm 5'-8") my BMI was over 30 and I felt like crap all the time and was unhappy ( I was 42 when I joined the gym).

I'm now 43, 157lbs (target of 155), my BMI is under 24 and I also just recently did a Body fat test and I'm @ 12.8%-target goal of 10% BF by Oct '10.
I'm running 5k races now ( and loving the rush), I bike almost 20miles every other weekend, hit the gym 3-4x weekly and I feel I'm in the best shape ever-more than when I was H.S.

My longtime girlfriend is also diggin' the new me...
I've got a 4 pack showing and workin' my Moderator cut: language removed of to get a full 6 pack goin'

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-18-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
Holy carp! Sounds like my wake up call. My Doc has been on my case for a couple of years to quit drinking, eat right and start exercising and of course I would blow it off....till she told me I'm showing signs of type ll diabetes. This was in the beginning of 2009 and since then I joined a gym, quit drinking for a few months (very moderate now) and completely changed my diet-I eat clean as possible.

My weight was 215 (I'm 5'-8") my BMI was over 30 and I felt like crap all the time and was unhappy ( I was 42 when I joined the gym).

I'm now 43, 157lbs (target of 155), my BMI is under 24 and I also just recently did a Body fat test and I'm @ 12.8%-target goal of 10% BF by Oct '10.
I'm running 5k races now ( and loving the rush), I bike almost 20miles every other weekend, hit the gym 3-4x weekly and I feel I'm in the best shape ever-more than when I was H.S.

My longtime girlfriend is also diggin' the new me...
I've got a 4 pack showing and workin' my of to get a full 6 pack goin'
Wow! You are truly an inspiration.

I have been gaining, I hope muscle weight. Today I got on the scale during the same time that I normally weigh myself, and I weighed 179 pounds when I had been hovering around 175 for about two months.

I have been following the Men's health Intermediate Plus workout #2, where I do 3 to 2 sets of 10 exercises where I work my abs, entire lower body, legs, shoulders, triceps, and biceps for about 45 minutes to an hour. My clothes aren't getting tighter on me, so I figure I must be gaining muscle weight from doing these multi-muscle exercises. Men's health says that I should get extreme results after 4-6 weeks of completing these exercises 3x a week.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-18-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,353 times
I was 348 pounds at my peak. There were several "wake-up calls" that prompted me to lose weight:

- Climbing stairs huffing and puffing

- It was very difficult to find reasonably priced clothing in "Big Men" sizes

- I'm a man, so there were um, blood-flow problems and it was affecting my libido

- Seeing pictures of myself showing how huge I really was

Last year, I made a commitment to low-carb/low-GI eating, and eliminating a lot of junk food and bad food choices. I also joined a gym halfway between my job and my house, so I would spend rush hour working out instead of sitting in traffic.

I've lost about 85 pounds so far. I hope to lose about 70 more within the next few months.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
My dad had to have a quadruple bypass at the age of 60. Diabetes and high BP run in my family. When he had his surgery, it was like a brick to the face for me. I saw his struggle.

I was in college at the time and joined a conditioning class. Over 8 weeks I lost 15 lbs. Over the next 6 months or so I had lost a total of 40. I cut out all fast food and sodas. I did this all only by walking - no running or weight lifting - so those of you who believe walking is not an effective exercise, I am proof that it can be.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,314 times
Hmm when i was embarassed to go out because i hated the way i look. So i started working out in March and i've lost about 15lbs im much more confident than i was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss