Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times

Advertisements

In May 2009, I weighed 208 pounds and found out that I was a type 2 diabetic. That wake up call forced me to change my eating habits, and I began exercising. A year and two months later, I am the fittest I have been since high school. I eat very clean, not on a diet though, and exercise 5-6 times a week. Now I weigh 175 pounds. I have about 10 more pounds to go if I want to be in my targeted recommended weight range. At age 43, I feel good, and I have more energy. Does anyone have any similar stories and pix to share on this thread?
Attached Thumbnails
Have you Received a Wake up Call to Lose Weight?-dsc06488.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
I gained 55 lbs with each baby I had. It came off painfully slow with baby # 1. With baby #2 the weight did not come off after almost 2 years, so I got off my butt after seeing me in pictures saying is this really me??? I started to exercise, and now it's been 2 years and I am 64 lbs lighter, and holding, but my doctor then told me that I should weigh about 127, so I still could stand to lose 10 more. That is proving difficult. I guess it's like they say, the last 10 lbs are the hardest! I am not going to give up, though!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
At 5' 4" and 205 lbs in 2002 I was borderline type 2 diabetic and high blood pressure. So I road biked 2018 miles in 2003 to get to 160 lbs. Next year did 3018 miles to get to 139 lbs. Kept the weight at 145 lbs for the next 5 years. Messed up last year and got tired of road biking and went up to 157 lbs where I am now.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,308 times
5'5" and hit my heaviest weight ever in December 2009 at 242 lbs. High blood pressure and a fear of complications with pregnancy (when I'm ready) forced me to take a hard look at my diet and lack of exercise. I've lost 47 lbs so far, but am about 35 lbs away from the high end of the BMI index. I'm working out 6 days a week and really watching my food intake. It's tough, but so worth it. My doc said at my last check up that my body is in much better condition to have a baby. That in itself made everything worth it. Congrats to you for making a difficult lifestyle change. I hope you stay focused and keep the weight off.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,463 times
Almost two years ago I weighed 170 (and all the signs pointed to it getting higher) which was the highest I ever weighed in my life. I'm 5' 5". I was always quite thin and a heavy smoker prior to getting pregnant.

I got pregnant in 2005, very complicated pregnancy, complete bed rest, more complications after the pregancy and ended up in the hospital for one month. When I got out of the hospital I weighed 140. I was on a IV most of the time.

After 1 year being home from the hospital, I started gaining crazy amounts of weight. I wasn't eating right or exercising. Finally two years ago decided to start yoga and walking and watching what I eat. The weight came off so slowly, it was about 1 pound a week. It took forever and I was exhausted all the time.

10 months into my weight loss I was talking to my obgyn about my insane exhaustion and periods and she decided to check my thyroid and it turned out I have hypothyrodism. In fact my numbers were so high she didn't see how I was functioning. So that is probably part of the reason I gained so much weight. I am on medication for it now.

But long story short. I have lost 30 pounds of weight. It took about a year. I keep it off with Yoga, right eating, walking or jogging daily. I never thought I would have to work at keeping in my shape since I was so thin most of my life.

Now I know It is something I will have to be conscious of forever. Physical fitness and healthy eating is just a part of my life now.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 6,037 times
This is a great thread. I've been overweight since I was little and I never got to lose all those fats growing up. It's affecting my self-esteem and confidence. I can't wear the clothes I want and I feel I don't look good. I just brisk walk whenever I can but i don't think its doing much. I can't really keep on any diet. Any advice on how I can lose weight fast and effectively?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,951,765 times
Y'all are lightweights... but it's encouraging to hear your stories. I'm 6'0 280 lbs. But I have neither high blood pressure nor diabetes. A pic I took with my daughter on her prom night was the last straw for me when I saw it. I go to the gym 3x a week now.. and eat more and less (more nutritious snacks more times throughout the day, but less bad food - less food more spread out.). I still haven't lost any weight at all after 4 months, but I'm not giving up since it's a lifestyle change for me.

Thanks for the thread!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 AM

15 posts, read 21,762 times
It's not really new, but jogging or just brisk walking really makes me feel good. It may be exhausting, but it's relaxing at the same time.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,613,333 times
I weighed 264 and was in constant pain with my feet. I have a job that requires up to 12 hrs of walking and stair climbing a day. I spent 2 years limping all day. Sometimes barely able to put weight even on the ball of my foot. I went to the doctor after almost 2 years and ask him to fix it.
He told me it couldn't be fixed by him. If I didn't lose weight I would be crippled up the rest of my life. I am now down to 218 and still going. I want to hit 190. After working 13 1/2 hrs the other day, my feet were the only thing that DIDN'T hurt.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 AM

7 posts, read 23,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
I weighed 264 and was in constant pain with my feet. I have a job that requires up to 12 hrs of walking and stair climbing a day. I spent 2 years limping all day. Sometimes barely able to put weight even on the ball of my foot. I went to the doctor after almost 2 years and ask him to fix it.
He told me it couldn't be fixed by him. If I didn't lose weight I would be crippled up the rest of my life. I am now down to 218 and still going. I want to hit 190. After working 13 1/2 hrs the other day, my feet were the only thing that DIDN'T hurt.

Good job! It's great to know you're not feeling the pain in your feet anymore. how did you lose weight? what was the most effective way for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss