Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,611 times

Advertisements

anyone have success lowering triglycerides and cholesterol without taking statins such as lipitor? I am trying to avoid taking this type of medication. i am genetically prone to having high trigs and cholesterol. the doc really wants to put me on some type of med but im not into it just yet. they suggesetd niaspan at one point, than trilipix. we compromised and i am currently taking Lovasa (4 per day) and no flush niacin (1 per day). my trigs were around 600 before the Lovasa, down to around 300 after Lovasa. i recently added the Niacin. i try to jog a couple times per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Have you thought about eliminating sugar, severely limiting carbs and exercising a lot? Bet if you do those things and shed all extra weight you'll see great improvement in your triglycerides and cholesterol.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Have you thought about eliminating sugar, severely limiting carbs and exercising a lot? Bet if you do those things and shed all extra weight you'll see great improvement in your triglycerides and cholesterol.
When I did that my trigs plummeted and chol improved.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
When I did that my trigs plummeted and chol improved.
Yeah, plus I've been reading those drugs don't really do as much good as originally thought.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM

324 posts, read 877,054 times
triglycerides are bad but why on earth would you want to fight cholesterol ??

That is one of the healthiest steroids your body can get

Do you exercise ? and what type of fats are in your diet ?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
Eat less sugar/carbs, and more fats/protein. Counter-productive? Not at all. You've prolly been lied to by the medical industry like everyone else that fat causes these high trigs etc... and it's all a con to get people on statins and make lots of money. High trigs/blood cholesterol are produced from the liver, from inflammation resulting if anything from excess carb intake.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
I followed weight watchers - limiting my total caloric intake (and increased exercise)at the same time as lowering my sat fat intake, and increasing my intake of good fats (mono and poly unsats). I reduced my weight, my LDL cholesterol, my triglycerides, and increased my HDL ('good') cholesterol.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
yes in fact that was the first thing i did. totally cut carbs down, sugars, beers, saturated fats. and jogged like 5 days per week. i was in decent shape then without even taking Lovasa. i should also had that i am not even the slightest bit fat. im actually pretty thin. but i'll be honest that diet was friggin hard. im italian and grew up eating alot of carbs, pastas and whatnot. and i love beer. sorry i just wont give it up completely. lately i just havent been able to exercise as much. maybe 2x per week.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I followed weight watchers - limiting my total caloric intake (and increased exercise)at the same time as lowering my sat fat intake, and increasing my intake of good fats (mono and poly unsats). I reduced my weight, my LDL cholesterol, my triglycerides, and increased my HDL ('good') cholesterol.

Good luck to you.
thats what i usually need to work on. greatly lowering trigs. my LDL is only a little over and my HDL is only alittle under. jogging is key if i can get my lazy ass to do it more often.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
thats what i usually need to work on. greatly lowering trigs. my LDL is only a little over and my HDL is only alittle under. jogging is key if i can get my lazy ass to do it more often.
or find some exercise you like better. Ive mainly done walking/hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss