Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 PM

324 posts, read 877,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If you're creating a calorie surplus, you WILL gain weight, no matter what macro-nutrient those calories come from. That's a simple fact.
yes if you never excrete excess nutrients (never go to the bathroom) and sit on a couch for months. it is technically possible to gain weight. so how does this help anyone ?

I challenge ANYONE in this forum to become obese on organic fruits, veggies, grass fed meats, nuts and water !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
yes if you never excrete excess nutrients (never go to the bathroom) and sit on a couch for months. it is technically possible to gain weight. so how does this help anyone ?
You do understand that a calorie surplus is simply consuming more calories than you burn, right? You said you had "clients" so I'm assuming that you're a personal trainer, which would require at least rudimentary knowledge of these type of things. It doesn't require that someone be completely sedentary for that to happen.

Quote:
I challenge ANYONE in this forum to become obese on organic fruits, veggies, grass fed meats, nuts and water !
Are you seriously taking the position that it's not possible to do so?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You do understand that a calorie surplus is simply consuming more calories than you burn, right?.
and..??

Quote:
Read what I typed (again).

Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
and..??
That was a question, not a statement that needed expanding upon. Wanna try again?

Quote:
Read what I typed (again).
I can read quite well, thank you. I asked you this simple yes or no question because your post was not clear.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
That was a question, not a statement that needed expanding upon. Wanna try again?
2nd attempt
Quote:
You do understand that a calorie surplus is simply consuming more calories than you burn, right?
Yes, I do..and ??

Quote:
I asked you this simple yes or no question because your post was not clear.
Quote:
Not possible to do what ?? Define what you mean when you use the word "so."

Old 10-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
2nd attempt
Yes, I do..and ??
So there is your problem. You parsed out the entire second part of that post and tried to make a witty comeback. See my original response, with the relevant part bolded.

Quote:
You do understand that a calorie surplus is simply consuming more calories than you burn, right? You said you had "clients" so I'm assuming that you're a personal trainer, which would require at least rudimentary knowledge of these type of things. It doesn't require that someone be completely sedentary for that to happen.
Hope that clears things up.

Quote:
Not possible to do what ?? Define what you mean when you use the word "so."
You couldn't figure it out from context? Well, let me be more clear then.

League54, is it or is it not your position that it is impossible for someone to become obese on a diet of "on organic fruits, veggies, grass fed meats, nuts and water?"

Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
If I eat a dozen organic oranges, three cups of organic mashed avocado, a half cup of organic, unsweetened peanutbutter with half a dozen organic over-ripe bananas, enjoy a snack of grain-fed goose liver pate on organic celery stalks and two ears of organically grown corn on the cob, and for dinner have a 20-ounce T-Bone steak from an organic-grass-fed cow, cooked medium rare with a gravy made from the fat of that steak, sop it all up with a few organically grown potatos, and top off the evening with an organic salad with a cup of walnuts, a half cup of organically expeller-pressed peanut oil, and wash all -that- down with organic coconut and palm milk sweetened with the juice of an organically grown sugarcane...

And eat that every day, for a month...

I will get fat. I need no butter, no bread, no high fructose corn syrup, to consume any of that. And yet, I will get fat.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Well, since both of you are so determined to convince everyone that quantity is important.

Tell us, what is the right quantity of food we should all be eating on a regular basis ?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quantity isn't everything. Just as quality isn't everything. Just as organic isn't everything. Just as grass fed isn't everything.

If your grass-fed cow lives in a pasture where the pesticide company does its experiments, your grass-fed cow's meat is going to be less healthy than the grass-fed cow that lives in a less open space, and fed grass that has never had pesticides sprayed on it.

If you eat mass quantities of ANYTHING for a long enough duration, you will either get fat, or dead, in short order.

Organic snake venom is still snake venom.

Eating mostly healthy foods, in moderation, can prevent most diet-related illnesses and can contribute to a healthy weight.

Eating the occasional double cheeseburger with extra ketchup, is not going to cause a problem.

Eating the occasional non-grass-fed slab of dead cow is not going to cause a problem.

Having a splash of milk in your morning cup of coffee is not going to cause a problem.

UNLESS you already have a problem with these foods, before you consume them. Such as - an allergy to milk. Or a protein intolerance. Or an allergy to tomatoes. Or celiac disease, in the case of the burger, assuming you consume the sesame-seed bun along with the meat.

If you are already currently healthy, enjoying the occasional hot fudge sundae is not going to cause harm. Enjoying ketchup with high fructose corn syrup on your monthly burger outing with the Red Hat club isn't going to give you a heart attack. If you are already currently healthy, french fries double-breaded, fried in peanut oil, and dipped in tartar sauce once every third tuesday, is not going to clog your arteries, or add 40 pounds to your lithe frame.

Exercise counts as well, because exercise contributes to good circulation, healthy heart, physical strength and fitness, and a more efficient metabolism. So does getting the right amount of restful, productive sleep.

If you think otherwise, you are not thinking clearly.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:32 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Well, since both of you are so determined to convince everyone that quantity is important.

Tell us, what is the right quantity of food we should all be eating on a regular basis ?
They aren't the only two who think that quantity is important; so do I.

I thought that it was understood that caloric needs are different for each person. As a personal trainer, shouldn't you know this?

I'm not saying that quality isn't important; I just think that they BOTH are important.

And I find it interesting that you did not answer Bosco's question. You are the one making the claim that quantity is the only important factor in weight loss. The burden of proof is on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss