Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Wow you sound just like a commercial. At some point you will have to deal with your food issues without chemicals. The answer to permanent weight loss is not found in a pill.
Yep - first post from this brand new "member" is to bring up a year-old thread from the dead, just to recommend their favorite drug by name. It doesn't just sound like a commercial. It is one. In the same lousy English translation as all the other ones are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 AM

59 posts, read 97,414 times
Alli. Despite it's unpleasant side effect (fatty farts and fatty poop), it has been the only thing that had helped lose weight and keep it off.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,528,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I have. One was called Mini Thins and were sold at pretty much every gas station. They were also known as "trucker speed" where I was from. They were sold as an asthma medication. Another one was sold at Walmart, but we're talking almost 3 decades ago and they don't make them anymore. I can't find a picture of them on the web. Both had a main ingredient of ephedrine. Little did I know it, but I was 17 and bascially buying meth in stores for $5 bucks for 50 pills.

I tried hydorycut, but meh, get the same amount of caffeine from a cup of coffee, and I'd rather have the coffee. Never tried much of anything else, since I read the claims, looked at the ingerdients and thought, "Bunch of hoohah to sell something to someone looking for the easy way out."

I heard Alli works. I also heard it gives you diarrhea. No. No thanks. Diet and exercise have a lot less bad side affects, HA!
This is very funny and true you were buying meth!!! Those were the good old days!!!Now they want you to be a fat lethargic little drone~~~ w/ low T to top it off!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay12 View Post
Alli. Despite it's unpleasant side effect (fatty farts and fatty poop), it has been the only thing that had helped lose weight and keep it off.

Why don't you just eat less fat and move more? Why put up with crapping your pants?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I have. One was called Mini Thins and were sold at pretty much every gas station. They were also known as "trucker speed" where I was from. They were sold as an asthma medication. Another one was sold at Walmart, but we're talking almost 3 decades ago and they don't make them anymore. I can't find a picture of them on the web. Both had a main ingredient of ephedrine. Little did I know it, but I was 17 and bascially buying meth in stores for $5 bucks for 50 pills.

I tried hydorycut, but meh, get the same amount of caffeine from a cup of coffee, and I'd rather have the coffee. Never tried much of anything else, since I read the claims, looked at the ingerdients and thought, "Bunch of hoohah to sell something to someone looking for the easy way out."

I heard Alli works. I also heard it gives you diarrhea. No. No thanks. Diet and exercise have a lot less bad side affects, HA!
That was probably a store bought version of the ephedrine/caffeine stack. Very effective appetite suppressant.

Depending on your state laws, you can still buy it to this day. Down here in Florida you can walk into any Walgreens and buy Bronkaid (ephedrine) and some caffeine pills and you're good to go.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM

20,945 posts, read 28,464,010 times
I have never taken a diet pill because I am too scared of the side effects. WW works for me. Pills are not the answer.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have never taken a diet pill because I am too scared of the side effects. WW works for me. Pills are not the answer.

No, they aren't. Sadly though so many ppl think it's all about the pill, the shake, the premade meals, the books...they don't get it. They will forever be yo yoing up and down until it finally clicks that they have to make a complete lifestyle change.

WW is an excellent program. I know many ppl who have had great success with WW. The only ones I've seen not successful have been those with food addictions, they really needed WW and psychological help ( to get to the root of their overeating).

Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,833,345 times
If weight control was as easy as taking a pill then the obesity rate would not keep going up. I don't believe in diets,pills,etc because in my opinion for overall health and lasting weight control it is about changing your lifestyle. Living in an extreme way only sets one up to fall back into old habits. It is not just about being a certain size but also about overall health. That includes body and mind.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
There are pills that really and truly do work to suppress the appetite. But it's still up to the consumer to -choose- to not eat things that they shouldn't eat. If you don't have much of an appetite, and eat nothing but full-fat ice cream and french fries - you -might- lose weight - but you will definitely -not- be healthy.

There are no long-term short-cuts to a healthy weight, for people who struggle with it. Pills can be used as an aide, but even when you take them, you -still- have to have healthy eating habits and sufficient exercise.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 PM

796 posts, read 859,403 times
I work with a woman who some kind of stomach surgery that takes a prescription drug that she claims helps curb her appetite. I do not recall the name but I think it was one of the drugs that used to be prescribed with a second pill and the combo was called Phin-fen or something of that nature.

My family doctor has me scheduled for a treadmill test next Friday to decide if they want to prescribe anything along that line for me. I am still not sure if I want to take that route though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss