Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Yeah protein counting is for turds. On what authority do you declare my weight borderline unhealthy because the BMI scale says I'm barely underweight? Let me guess, you're comparing me to people at the McDonald's drive thru?
Ensuring that one is getting sufficient protein is for people that care about their health, if you don't care about yours that is your business.

Also, I'm using medical standards here, your BMI is borderline unhealthy and could very well be due to a loss of lean body mass. But you are free to think everything is some great conspiracy, its your health at stake after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Ensuring that one is getting sufficient protein is for people that care about their health, if you don't care about yours that is your business.

Also, I'm using medical standards here, your BMI is borderline unhealthy and could very well be due to a loss of lean body mass. But you are free to think everything is some great conspiracy, its your health at stake after all.

Counting protein, calories, or anything else for that matter is for fat people and meat head bodybuilders. If you eat healthy foods there is no need to constantly monitor your intake unless you're deficient and even then only B12 or D are supplement worthy. The rest of the supplement industry is a huge scam.

You have given zero credible information about why you think my BMI is unhealthy and I can't say that you're touting anything other than a badly misinformed opinion. My BMI is around 18.3. According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 18.5-24.9 is normal weight. I am BARELY underweight and I have had a small frame my entire life. The only time an underweight BMI is cause for concern is when it hits 16 or lower or your health is not in excellent condition. My health and energy levels are outstanding and I have plenty of lean muscle mass.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Counting protein, calories, or anything else for that matter is for fat people and meat head bodybuilders. If you eat healthy foods there is no need to constantly monitor your intake unless you're deficient and even then only B12 or D are supplement worthy.
I never said anything about "constantly monitoring", I said that one should ensure that they are getting appropriate amounts of protein in their diet. When Americans become vegan (or vegetarian, though to a lesser degree), its not uncommon for their diets to be protein deficit since American cuisine incorporates few high protein plant-foods.

Eating "healthy foods", as popularly convinced, isn't going to ensure proper protein intake....

Quote:
I am BARELY underweight and I have had a small frame my entire life. The only time an underweight BMI is cause for concern is when it hits 16 or lower or your health is not in excellent condition. My health and energy levels are outstanding and I have plenty of lean muscle mass.
Right....and hence why I said your BMI is borderline unhealthy....and at a 130 pounds, no, you don't have plenty of lean muscle mass.

Regardless, your weight could be normal, but given your other comments I'd say its an indication that your protein deficient or have some thyroid or similar condition. If you keep dropping weight....then that is a very bad sign.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
Quote:
LMFAO! Our bodies are mostly intended to eat plants. Our digestive tracts are long, like herbivores. Our teeth are almost entirely flat, like herbivores. We can't actually catch and eat meat without using tools or weapons. All other carnivores or omnivores eat their meat raw and they eat the entire animal...not just the juicy muscles after they have been cooked over high heat to purge the toxins. If modern stores didn't exist hardly anyone would be an omnivore.

Please read The China Study before sprouting off that meat has any benefits at all. It's a high protein piece of cardboard that no human needs. Further, its animal protein which according to The China Study is carcinogenic. Red meat has already been linked to prostate cancer and other cancers. Dairy is linked to breast, ovarian, prostate, and other cancers. Animal protein is not good for you, it almost certainly is what pulls the trigger on most cases of heart disease & cancer.

You get the perfect amount of protein needed for humans from all other sources in the correct ratios by simply eating vegetables, fruits, grains, etc... Incomplete proteins are a total myth. I have been vegan for over a year and I exercise every other day. I have never had more energy in my entire life and my body is in excellent health at 6 feet tall and 135 lbs. When I ate animal products I felt lethargic, bloated, tired, angry, depressed, and just down right miserable ( I was also working out while eating animal products and I was closer to 165 lbs.).

How I look and feel are a testament to how powerful healthy vegan eating is when coupled with moderate exercise. I highly encourage anyone who doubts this to try it for several months instead of reading animal product propaganda from the USDA or listening to doctors who have their heads up their butt(most of whom take around 4 credits of nutrition in college).
Kudos if that works for you but you're wrong to assume its the healthiest option for everyone. I'm the same height, ten pounds less and I would waste away without meat. I don't eat it with every meal by any means, but more than a day or two without a serving of animal protein and im starving, tired, and miserable.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I never said anything about "constantly monitoring", I said that one should ensure that they are getting appropriate amounts of protein in their diet. When Americans become vegan (or vegetarian, though to a lesser degree), its not uncommon for their diets to be protein deficit since American cuisine incorporates few high protein plant-foods.

Eating "healthy foods", as popularly convinced, isn't going to ensure proper protein intake....

Right....and hence why I said your BMI is borderline unhealthy....and at a 130 pounds, no, you don't have plenty of lean muscle mass.

Regardless, your weight could be normal, but given your other comments I'd say its an indication that your protein deficient or have some thyroid or similar condition. If you keep dropping weight....then that is a very bad sign.
I don't know why it didn't become apparent to me earlier that you're just kind of babbling on and arguing about really meaningless things. Protein intake, are you serious? I say I'm healthy and you declare me unfit and deficient based on your "professional" opinion that goes counter to a BMI number. My weight and health are fine, thanks for the outstanding advice and laughs!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Kudos if that works for you but you're wrong to assume its the healthiest option for everyone. I'm the same height, ten pounds less and I would waste away without meat. I don't eat it with every meal by any means, but more than a day or two without a serving of animal protein and im starving, tired, and miserable.
You just plain old need to be eating more (calories). I'm miserable and tired if my weight drops to 125 or lower also, regardless of my diet. I know because I've had it happen a couple times over the last few decades.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
Quote:
You just plain old need to be eating more (calories). I'm miserable and tired if my weight drops to 125 or lower also, regardless of my diet. I know because I've had it happen a couple times over the last few decades.
You know nothing about my calorie intake, so I dont know what makes you think can advise me. Turns out, my body is not the same as your body and what works for yours does not necessarily work for mine.

Don't you feel just the tiniest bit hypocritical for criticizing the other poster for making unfounded assessments on your health and then turning around and doing the exact same thing to me?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
A vegan diet is not natural for humans which is why there has never been an indigenous vegan society in the history of the planet. That's right, I am not exaggerating: there is no such thing as an indigenous vegan diet, one has never existed, and it never will.

Forget diets, here is a simple eating.plan: Make half your plate veggies, add a protein that is the size of a deck of cards. If you like starches, add a serving that is half the size of a baseball. Brown is better than white, or go with something like quinoa. The end.
Ok, if vegan is so wrong and not natural then why is it the only way I can get my body to function right now? I had a surgery in May and I am not digesting dairy and meat at all very well and I was eating plenty of fiber and drinking plenty of water but still couldn't get my 'plumbing' to work. I cut out those two things and now things are great. I know this isn't about weightloss but to say it can't be right just because it's not right for you is just silly.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Protein intake, are you serious? I say I'm healthy and you declare me unfit and deficient based on your "professional" opinion that goes counter to a BMI number. My weight and health are fine, thanks for the outstanding advice and laughs!
I really don't care whether you say you're healthy or not, all sorts of people say they are healthy when they aren't. I'm just putting two and two together, you have an almost complete disregard for nutritional science and your weight is very low. And, like I said, perhaps you're perfectly healthy but it doesn't sound like it....

Old 07-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't eat it with every meal by any means, but more than a day or two without a serving of animal protein and im starving, tired, and miserable.
When people say these sorts of its due to one of two things 1.) A major dietary deficiency, 2.) its psychological. There is no reason, biologically, that your body would need animal protein and become "starving, tired and miserable".

There are not some people that "need meat" and others that don't......meat is not an essential nutrient in the human diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss