Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

I have had weight issues all my life. I have done every diet over my 43 years and 5 bite is the only one that worked because you can eat whatever you want, but you only get 5 bites twice a day. I lost 40 pounds in 2 months and I was eating more like 20-30 bites a day, but I exercise 3-5 times a week and have lean muscle. I did gain 10 pounds back but hey honestly I am a stress eater its one of my few vices.

You know why I know it works. Even my brother a 10 year physical trainer said nutrition is more important than exercise. Even when I think about the first time about 20 years ago I shed 80 pounds it was due to strict calorie intact or portion control combined with exercise. I kept that 80 pounds off for 10 years and then entered the corp. world and gained it all back over time.

When I first heard about gastric bypass I said I am only 50 pounds overweight. It was a horirble time in my life I was stress eating my Mom was on her deathbed, better now, but I watched so many darn episodes of morbidly obese people on TLC a few years back I noticed something. Lapband whatever you want to call it works! They had this guy eating 2 peices of pizza a day after lap band and lost 300 pounds eating pizza. Forget Atkins it just gave me insomnia, I need carbs to live. I like ice cream and junk food, so why try and hide it. The only other decent plain I have seen is South Beach or Zone, Nutrasystem will leave you bankrupt same with Jenny Craig from talking to people.

All those other diets fail because you can't stand eating the same crap after 2-3 months or doing the same hard core workouts you get burned out.

5 bite is brutal the first few days, your stomach is shrinking, but then you get used to it, the real power for me is when my appetite is shrunk way down and then I exercise I have dropped 2 pounds in day and kept losing.

I was just browsing forums on this board and ran accross this and thought I would share.

Dr Alan C Lewis " Why Weight Around" or Slimming Station dot com.

Lastly, be really picky about what you eat since you ain't going to be eating much. The French eat small portions with cream and butter and they don't have our obesity rates. And as a bonus you will save a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Ten bites a day??????

Of course you would lose weight - people in concentration camps lost weight too.

All you're really talking about is portion control, by the way. I am on the Weight Watchers program and I am losing 1-2 pounds a week, and eating anything I want to eat. In fact, the other day I had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen - and I ate the whole thing, not just five bites of it!

If you're losing a pound or more a DAY - or more than probably 3 pounds a week, it won't stay off. You can't continue to live like you're living and the minute you start eating normal portions again, the weight is going to come right back - with a vengeance.

We have to change our LIFESTYLE - permanently. That's the only way to maintain a healthy weight.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 AM

741 posts, read 1,678,860 times
I might try this for a day just to see what it's like..I'm thinking that my 5 bites will be really really BIG bites!!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ten bites a day??????

Of course you would lose weight - people in concentration camps lost weight too.

All you're really talking about is portion control, by the way. I am on the Weight Watchers program and I am losing 1-2 pounds a week, and eating anything I want to eat. In fact, the other day I had a Blizzard from Dairy Queen - and I ate the whole thing, not just five bites of it!

If you're losing a pound or more a DAY - or more than probably 3 pounds a week, it won't stay off. You can't continue to live like you're living and the minute you start eating normal portions again, the weight is going to come right back - with a vengeance.

We have to change our LIFESTYLE - permanently. That's the only way to maintain a healthy weight.
I think we actually agree on most things. The ten years I kept the 80 pounds off I changed to an active lifestyle and yes portion control is key. I think WW is one of the better programs out there since they have support meetings and let you eat what you want without trying to press their overpriced food.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
You were obese, you lost weight, you gained weight til you were obese again, you lost weight, you gained some back...this sounds like what you're doing - is not working for you very well at all. The ten year thing - what you were doing then, during that ten years - that's what you need to do again. If you were in the corps and -gained- weight, wouldn't much of that weight have been muscle, and not fat? I've never heard of anyone joining the military and getting fat during their service. Only leaner, trimmer, more muscular, and the hefty ones scaled down a bit.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You were obese, you lost weight, you gained weight til you were obese again, you lost weight, you gained some back...this sounds like what you're doing - is not working for you very well at all. The ten year thing - what you were doing then, during that ten years - that's what you need to do again. If you were in the corps and -gained- weight, wouldn't much of that weight have been muscle, and not fat? I've never heard of anyone joining the military and getting fat during their service. Only leaner, trimmer, more muscular, and the hefty ones scaled down a bit.

I think by "corp" they meant the Corporate World not "core" as in Military but I am only guessing.

Those 10 bites a day that you are eating is not even close to the amount of calories you need to sustain good nutrition and remain healthy. You are doing yourself more harm than good eating this way and I don't care what any Physician tells you. Find yourself a good solid nutrition filled regimen and stick with it. You do not have to join any club or program just do it yourself, read labels, balance your foods to get all around nutrition, exercise at least 20 minutes per day, and use portion control. It is a slow, steady, nutritional pace that will give you the most benefits of losing weight and keeping it off long term while ensuring that you do not starve yourself to death.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
She meant the corp world, which typically means corporate world, which means she was sitting down a lot at a desk and probably working all day and coming home and not working out. She probably ate take out for lunch(a lot of people in these environments do) and then came home and ate fatty things then. I gained weight when I entered the corp world out of college as well. I became very sedentary and during my lunch breaks I would go out to eat, come home cook and then snack in the evenings as well.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,469 times
Meh just do WW, you can eat what you want and lose weight. Try skinnytaste.com for great substitutions for foods you like that are WW friendly.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think by "corp" they meant the Corporate World not "core" as in Military but I am only guessing.

Those 10 bites a day that you are eating is not even close to the amount of calories you need to sustain good nutrition and remain healthy. You are doing yourself more harm than good eating this way and I don't care what any Physician tells you. Find yourself a good solid nutrition filled regimen and stick with it. You do not have to join any club or program just do it yourself, read labels, balance your foods to get all around nutrition, exercise at least 20 minutes per day, and use portion control. It is a slow, steady, nutritional pace that will give you the most benefits of losing weight and keeping it off long term while ensuring that you do not starve yourself to death.
Heh - the military is the corps. As in, The Marine Corps. I agree with the rest of everything you said though. Especially since he says he can eat 10 bites of -anything- as long as it's only 10 bites total. Ten bites of ice cream might make me lose weight, but I'll feel like crap a week later if that's all I'm eating. Ten bites of lettuce every day, and nothing else, and I'll be in the hospital within 5 days. How about ten bites of bread. Or ten spoonsful of baked beans...

There is nothing healthy about the 5-bite plan. Not caloric, not nutritional, not filling, not satisfying, not anything else.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 PM

Did I say I was in the military? Because I was never in the military. I know what my problem is there just isn't an easy answer to it. I eat a lot of times for non hunger reasons which I won't go into here. When I became obese around 18 I stayed that way for about 2 years, I was 6 feet 260 and not too much muscle. I got seriously injured in a car accident had to go to therapy for a year and found out I like going to the gym. So one day I got so disguisted with looking at myself I decided I would do whatever it took to get to about 180 and I did it in about 8 months. I worked out 6 days a week and cut my calories. I then moved to a nice peaceful college town and biked to campus almost every day. Plus my metabolism was faster in my 20's then current 40's. Once I graduated and I became so stressed out in the corp. sales world I started stress eating and slowly I went from 190 to 215 to 270. I got down to 250, the 235, back to 240ish and then I went on 5 bite and dropped down to 200 and bounced back to 210 after I was fired recently. Working out has almost never been a problem. Eating when I am not hungry is my problem and I have had that problem since I was about 6. Mom wasn't the best parent well leave it at that.

And in case anyone's curious I did go to overeater's anonyomous for about 8 meetings, but being the only guy there and not really want to make OA my lifestyle I stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss