Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,766,286 times

Advertisements

I eat a lot of junk food yet I MANAGE TO MAINTAIN MY WEIGHT. Food is a source of great enjoyment so I dont' subscribe to limiting my food choices, like in an Atkins diet. I love various carbs too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,909,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I live in one of the most affluent towns in KY where almost no one is overweight much less obese.
I think there's some truth to this.

A man will marry the best looking woman he can afford.

Tight butts get rich husbands.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM

153 posts, read 544,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think there's some truth to this.

A man will marry the best looking woman he can afford.

Tight butts get rich husbands.
Interesting....

Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,846,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
You know how junk food tastes a lot better than the healthier foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc.?
They have flavor enhancers & msg type ingredients to add rich flavor to tasteless frozen meats, fruit extracts, dough, etc. Also the packaging, decoration on the foods like cupcakes, cookies, are very inviting. Your mind gets tricked into thinking how could something that 'looks' so delicious could be so harmful for you. Also the serving size looks small (ex:soft dinner rolls or biscuits) so even with all the knowledge about nutrition, sometimes its difficult to remind ourselves not to believe our own eyes.

Healthy food doesn't have to be bland & tasteless. It could taste really good if you try different combinations. I got some ideas from browsing salad menus of different restaurants to make delicious salads by combining fruits, veggies, dry fruits & lean meats. Also, lentils & beans have a natural flavor & just slow cooking them with homemade broth makes healthy & very tasty soups. I also make grilled chicken, fish, vegetables at home to make my salads zesty. The best part of healthy cooking is its quick & easy.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM

9,020 posts, read 13,882,274 times
I'm sorry,but I have to agree with the OP.
Junk food does taste better. C mon now,I don't know anyone that would choose baked fish over Kfc. Another thing,some healthy food just isn't filling. That's my main gripe with healthy food. It doesn't fill me up.
As a matter of fact,that's why lots of people on diets go off of them. Its the hunger pangs.
I ate 2000 cal of healthy food and was still hungry. So it wasn't because I drastically cut calories.

Since when is an ear of corn with butter healthy? Butter is very fattening.
I would actually choose the popcorn,esp if its the 100 cal bag of Weaver or Orvill.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,909,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Junk food does taste better. C mon now,I don't know anyone that would choose baked fish over Kfc. Another thing,some healthy food just isn't filling. That's my main gripe with healthy food. It doesn't fill me up.
As a matter of fact,that's why lots of people on diets go off of them. Its the hunger pangs.
I ate 2000 cal of healthy food and was still hungry. So it wasn't because I drastically cut calories.

I would actually choose the popcorn,esp if its the 100 cal bag of Weaver or Orvill.
I wondered about this myself. I asked a buddy of mine at work who is about my age and is really thin. I asked him if a bowl of really good ice cream had exactly the same amount of calories, fat, and health effects as a bowl of fresh fruit - which would he choose? He told me the fruit because he honestly prefers the taste.

This one chick I knew once told me, "Oh, I really don't like chocolate."

Some people are just that way.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,846,972 times
Quote:
Another thing,some healthy food just isn't filling. That's my main gripe with healthy food. It doesn't fill me up.
Before I started eating healthy I could eat more than half of a large pizza & still be hungry after 2-3hrs. But after I switched to salads with protein (fish, chicken) I dont feel hungry until next meal time. I dont even need to snack anymore. For the first month I did feel as if I needed carbs to sustain but over time my body got used to it. I think we feel more hungry when we binge on junk foods coz the body doesn't get any nutrients so it craves more food whereas a nutritious meal will keep your body satisfied for longer periods of time. It wont happen in one or 2 meals but over a period of eating healthy. So many of my lunches are a small side salad & a cup of soup; something I would have considered a snack but definitely not a meal. Took some time for my body to get used to it but it did happen. There is some tipping point.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,846,097 times
Quote:

I for one think KFC is disgusting. Now I love fried chicken, but that crap is just nasty. I almost always choose fish when I go out to eat because I love it. Lucky for me it is healthy. A balanced healthy meal is so much more appealing than any fast food. And really is just as filling.
Feeling full and feeling stuffed are two different things. Some people want to feel stuffed before they quit eating. For me I cannot stand that feeling.
I know that people who grow up on fast food have never had their taste buds mature out of the salt, grease, white and brown food phase. It is hard for these folks to all of a sudden start to eat healthy meals because they just do not taste good to them, and they do not get that feeling of fullness (being stuffed). So most times they will give up on eating healthy pretty quickly.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,416,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd MUCH rather eat a piece of succulent moist roasted chicken sliced right off the bone, than a box of chicken mcnuggets. A fillet mignon, smothered in sauteed mushrooms? Or a BigMac? Gee whiz - that's a tough choice.
There's certainly no shame in one admitting he/she prefers a bag over Doritos over a bag of carrots. To marginalize someone who admits that is just plain illogical.

Since this is a diet and weight loss forum, there are two questions: How does one enjoy the occasional taste of junk food without starting the slide down the slippery slope; and how does one learn to prepare and enjoy healthier foods like broiled meats and steamed vegetables?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,854,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's certainly no shame in one admitting he/she prefers a bag over Doritos over a bag of carrots. To marginalize someone who admits that is just plain illogical.

Since this is a diet and weight loss forum, there are two questions: How does one enjoy the occasional taste of junk food without starting the slide down the slippery slope; and how does one learn to prepare and enjoy healthier foods like broiled meats and steamed vegetables?
These are good questions, but they have nothing to do with the topic. The topic is about junk food vs. non-junk food, and the OP's assumption is that everyone prefers the *taste* of junk food to the *taste* of non-junk food.

The OP is basing her entire theory on a false statement. Therefore, the entire theory is flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss