Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
These are good questions, but they have nothing to do with the topic. The topic is about junk food vs. non-junk food, and the OP's assumption is that everyone prefers the *taste* of junk food to the *taste* of non-junk food.
Well, OK, then ... How do I get steamed carrots to taste like nacho cheese Doritos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, OK, then ... How do I get steamed carrots to taste like nacho cheese Doritos?
I wouldn't have any idea. I don't like Doritos. I'd rather eat a baked potato with shaved romano cheese. Potato chips though, I really love. But I have to be in the mood for them. Otherwise I'd still rather have the baked potato.

And KFC is nasty. Real roasted chicken beats KFC any day, and baked fish is awesome. I *much* prefer home-made foods to fast-food. I'd MUCH rather have a slab of ground beef grilled on my charcoal grill in the back yard, with a slice of Cabot's Racer's Edge sharp cheddar and a couple slices of jalapeno pepper, rather than an "Angry Whopper" from Burger King. There really is no comparison and frankly I'm concerned that anyone would think there was.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
And KFC is nasty. Real roasted chicken beats KFC any day, and baked fish is awesome. I *much* prefer home-made foods to fast-food. I'd MUCH rather have a slab of ground beef grilled on my charcoal grill in the back yard, with a slice of Cabot's Racer's Edge sharp cheddar and a couple slices of jalapeno pepper, rather than an "Angry Whopper" from Burger King. There really is no comparison and frankly I'm concerned that anyone would think there was.
Sadly there are lots of younger people today that don't know what a healthy home cooked meal tastes like....the only food they know is "drive-thru," "take-out," "delivered" and "frozen."

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm sorry,but I have to agree with the OP.
Junk food does taste better. C mon now,I don't know anyone that would choose baked fish over Kfc. Another thing,some healthy food just isn't filling. That's my main gripe with healthy food. It doesn't fill me up.
As a matter of fact,that's why lots of people on diets go off of them. Its the hunger pangs.
I ate 2000 cal of healthy food and was still hungry. So it wasn't because I drastically cut calories.

Since when is an ear of corn with butter healthy? Butter is very fattening.
I would actually choose the popcorn,esp if its the 100 cal bag of Weaver or Orvill.
It's not "healthy food" that doesn't fill you up, it's food without fat. It's perfectly natural to crave KFC over baked whitefish with no added fat. It's not perfectly natural to crave KFC over a nice roasted Amish free-range chicken with the skin still on.

Butter's as fattening as you choose for it to be. I've been eating three eggs fried in butter most mornings and I'm leaner than I was in my teenage years. The French eat tons of butter (and cheese) and are thin. There's nothing magic about this. Fat fills you up, so you end up eating less often and less food overall.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It's not "healthy food" that doesn't fill you up, it's food without fat. It's perfectly natural to crave KFC over baked whitefish with no added fat. It's not perfectly natural to crave KFC over a nice roasted Amish free-range chicken with the skin still on.

Butter's as fattening as you choose for it to be. I've been eating three eggs fried in butter most mornings and I'm leaner than I was in my teenage years. The French eat tons of butter (and cheese) and are thin. There's nothing magic about this. Fat fills you up, so you end up eating less often and less food overall.
But with a low-fat plant-based diet, you can eat until you are full without being overweight. We eat a plant-based diet - almost 4 months now and my husband and I have been quite surprised at how we don't get overly hungry between meals....beans, legumes, peas and lots and lots of vegetables of many varieties, green smoothies for dinner, some nuts, several different seeds, avocados, quinoa, brown rice, oats, tofu, hemp powder, chia seeds, nutritional yeast - there is plenty of fat in these foods without eating oil or butter - the body doesn't need it - eat natural foods, unprocessed foods as much as possible - you will be full, healthy, thin and full of energy.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How does one enjoy the occasional taste of junk food without starting the slide down the slippery slope; and how does one learn to prepare and enjoy healthier foods like broiled meats and steamed vegetables?
Very interesting. OP, please do share some answers to above questions. Here are some of the things I mix up to make healthy food more tasty:
-Hummus is my all time fav as a side for salads. Also low fat cottage cheese.
-I drizzle a mixture of olive oil & vinegar (lemon juice) over the salads as a dressing. Adding Parsely to the salads also gives them a tangy, zesty taste like lemon juice. Stay away from store bought sauces as they are full of sugars, sodium.
-I dissolve some herbs like thyme, oregano, etc in some olive oil & keep it aside for sometime. Then I use that for vegetable saute.
-I use the same herbs infused olive oil to brush veggies (mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomatoes, etc) on skewers & broil them in oven or grill them for like 5-10min.
-Soups are my absolute fav coz they require minimum effort. Just add some broth to sweet corn & chicken in a slow cooker & let them cook all day. The natural flavors of vegetables mixed with chicken is so tasty. I have used mixed veggies, beans, lentils with chicken to create a variety of homemade soups
-Grilled or broiled chicken/fish are also healthier compared to the fried versions. Just brush them with olive oil & some spices (gyro, tandoori spices) before grilling or broiling. Lookup online some tips for broiling meats & veggies in oven, like leaving the door partially open while broiling. The taste would be similar to grilling. Steaming baskets are cheap & can be found in most stores.
-Switch to natural coconut water or organic sparkling water instead of high sugar sodas

There are some junk foods like chips, ice cream, cookies that have absolutely no healthier alternative, even the organic brands are as bad. So I binge on these treats maybe once a month. As long as you stick to healthy foods most of the time, a small binge wont throw off your diet.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I've always liked healthy food, even as a kid. I do like junk food too, but could never eat it very much because it made me feel awful, and I would crave veggies and fruit. Even on a cruise with my husband we stayed with mostly healthy food by choice. On both the cruises I took I lost 5 pounds due to increased activity and all the healthy food that was available.

Those of us who genuinely like healthy food must be more evolved.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM

136 posts, read 239,144 times
I think the OP is intended for people who have become accustomed to eating junk food as a part of the regular diet. If you dont, then of course you.'re you're not going to crave food that is not a part of your daily diet.

Craving junk food is a learned behavior and it has to be unlearned. Desire to eat unhealthy food will need to be replaced with equally palleteable healthy food. Therein lies the problem for many many people. For some it's a steep learning curve. Hamburgers, fried chicken, pizza, ice cream, donits, et, were once my diet staples. Now i may indulge once every few months and thats only at special events. I cerainly dont crave those foods anymore. French fries, however, are my culinary achilles heel.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Quote:
How many fallacies can we find in this post...

Better, to whom? Not to me. I'll take a glass of fresh-squeezed orange/grapefruit juice, over a container of Hi-C any day. I'd MUCH rather eat a piece of succulent moist roasted chicken sliced right off the bone, than a box of chicken mcnuggets. A fillet mignon, smothered in sauteed mushrooms? Or a BigMac? Gee whiz - that's a tough choice. How about - an ear of grilled corn with real butter, vs. JollyTime Microwave Popcorn with Extra Butter-Flavored Yellow-Dyed Partially-Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat? Decisions, decisions...

No - junk food most definitely does -not- taste better than non-junk food. Not by a longshot.

According to which evolutionary expert, is this a recent phenomena? Since when is the human species MORE at risk of starvation now, than ever before, that it would need to evolve to store more fat than it used to?

Humans, beginning with Homo Erectus, isn't even two million years old. And the species of which we are direct relation, Homo Sapiens, is barely 200,000 years old. There are no "millions of years" for our bodies to adapt. We didn't exist millions of years ago.

And relying only on what's available, can lead to malnutrition, rickets, starvation, and death. Depending on what's available in your natural environment.

It sounds like the next line should read: And if you buy our diet pills, you'll no longer have that trigger and be able to enjoy broccoli just as much as you enjoy Denny's!

What does having a conscience have to do with knowing when we can eat? Is eating an ethical or moral issue now? I thought we were talking about diet and weight loss, not ethics and morality.

Okay, so you're saying, that what we can -do- about this alleged issue that I say doesn't exist...is to realize that our minds are programmed.

[sarcasm] Okay, great! We realize our minds are programmed to want us to indulge and store fat. And you say this is how we can solve the problem? By realizing something? So - I realize something, and my troubles all disappear. I don't even have to stop eating popcorn or Big Macs! I just have to realize that I have a moral obligation to remember that I'm evolved! YAY you have solved the problem of obesity AND world hunger. Pulitzer prize stuff, here.

[/sarcasm]
again a very intellent rebuttal!! You are very good!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I live in one of the most affluent towns in KY where almost no one is overweight much less obese. Only the truly ignorant and misinformed think that if someone is from KY they must live in Appalachia.

Your ridiculous and clueless reply only compounds the ignorance of your original post.
I guess he has never heard of Lexington and its suburbs. I mean all the rich horse farm owners to run the Ky Derby and some of the most richest horse owners in the world. Idiot, I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss