Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM

153 posts, read 543,084 times

Advertisements

You know how junk food tastes a lot better than the healthier foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc.?

Because our bodies have evolved to favor foods higher with propensity to being stored as fat, so that in case we are in need of food later, it can be used for energy.

The millions of years our bodies have spent adapting to our environment have not caught up with where our species is presently. It is only in the past millenium that we have seen a much wider variety of foods and have had a much easier exposure to them. In first world countries, you tend to eat what tastes good, and plenty of it... not what is healthy or available. This leads to obesity.

So while our body, with an evolutionary track record that has not had nearly enough time to catch up with our rich and plentiful diets of today, is thinking, I don't know when my next meal might be, so therefore I am going to reward my body for indulging in foods richer in fat, and substances which are more likely to be processed and turned into fat, our brain releases small doses of dopamine which triggers our minds and our bodies to feel better than we would if we had eaten a bowl of broccoli.

But we have a conscience. And you and I both know that our next meal is much more likely to be two hours from now than two days from now.

So what we need to do for minimal fat storage is to realize that our minds are evolutionarily programmed to want us to indulge and store fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Oh brother.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Oh brother.
Unfortunately, this is the same attitude expressed by many other members of your Appalachian community. Her rural area of the country has some of the highest obesity rates in the world.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
You know how junk food tastes a lot better than the healthier foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc.?

Because our bodies have evolved to favor foods higher with propensity to being stored as fat, so that in case we are in need of food later, it can be used for energy.

The millions of years our bodies have spent adapting to our environment have not caught up with where our species is presently. It is only in the past millenium that we have seen a much wider variety of foods and have had a much easier exposure to them. In first world countries, you tend to eat what tastes good, and plenty of it... not what is healthy or available. This leads to obesity.

So while our body, with an evolutionary track record that has not had nearly enough time to catch up with our rich and plentiful diets of today, is thinking, I don't know when my next meal might be, so therefore I am going to reward my body for indulging in foods richer in fat, and substances which are more likely to be processed and turned into fat, our brain releases small doses of dopamine which triggers our minds and our bodies to feel better than we would if we had eaten a bowl of broccoli.

But we have a conscience. And you and I both know that our next meal is much more likely to be two hours from now than two days from now.

So what we need to do for minimal fat storage is to realize that our minds are evolutionarily programmed to want us to indulge and store fat.
Where's the "& What You Can Do About it!" part?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
How many fallacies can we find in this post...

Quote:
Better, to whom? Not to me. I'll take a glass of fresh-squeezed orange/grapefruit juice, over a container of Hi-C any day. I'd MUCH rather eat a piece of succulent moist roasted chicken sliced right off the bone, than a box of chicken mcnuggets. A fillet mignon, smothered in sauteed mushrooms? Or a BigMac? Gee whiz - that's a tough choice. How about - an ear of grilled corn with real butter, vs. JollyTime Microwave Popcorn with Extra Butter-Flavored Yellow-Dyed Partially-Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat? Decisions, decisions...

No - junk food most definitely does -not- taste better than non-junk food. Not by a longshot.

Quote:
According to which evolutionary expert, is this a recent phenomena? Since when is the human species MORE at risk of starvation now, than ever before, that it would need to evolve to store more fat than it used to?

Quote:
The millions of years our bodies have spent adapting to our environment have not caught up with where our species is presently.
Humans, beginning with Homo Erectus, isn't even two million years old. And the species of which we are direct relation, Homo Sapiens, is barely 200,000 years old. There are no "millions of years" for our bodies to adapt. We didn't exist millions of years ago.

Quote:
It is only in the past millenium that we have seen a much wider variety of foods and have had a much easier exposure to them. In first world countries, you tend to eat what tastes good, and plenty of it... not what is healthy or available. This leads to obesity.
And relying only on what's available, can lead to malnutrition, rickets, starvation, and death. Depending on what's available in your natural environment.

Quote:
It sounds like the next line should read: And if you buy our diet pills, you'll no longer have that trigger and be able to enjoy broccoli just as much as you enjoy Denny's!

Quote:
What does having a conscience have to do with knowing when we can eat? Is eating an ethical or moral issue now? I thought we were talking about diet and weight loss, not ethics and morality.

Quote:
Okay, so you're saying, that what we can -do- about this alleged issue that I say doesn't exist...is to realize that our minds are programmed.

[sarcasm] Okay, great! We realize our minds are programmed to want us to indulge and store fat. And you say this is how we can solve the problem? By realizing something? So - I realize something, and my troubles all disappear. I don't even have to stop eating popcorn or Big Macs! I just have to realize that I have a moral obligation to remember that I'm evolved! YAY you have solved the problem of obesity AND world hunger. Pulitzer prize stuff, here.

[/sarcasm]

Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is the same attitude expressed by many other members of your Appalachian community. Her rural area of the country has some of the highest obesity rates in the world.
I live in one of the most affluent towns in KY where almost no one is overweight much less obese. Only the truly ignorant and misinformed think that if someone is from KY they must live in Appalachia.

Your ridiculous and clueless reply only compounds the ignorance of your original post.

Last edited by Cattknap; 11-10-2012 at 11:19 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
How many fallacies can we find in this post...

Better, to whom? Not to me. I'll take a glass of fresh-squeezed orange/grapefruit juice, over a container of Hi-C any day. I'd MUCH rather eat a piece of succulent moist roasted chicken sliced right off the bone, than a box of chicken mcnuggets. A fillet mignon, smothered in sauteed mushrooms? Or a BigMac? Gee whiz - that's a tough choice. How about - an ear of grilled corn with real butter, vs. JollyTime Microwave Popcorn with Extra Butter-Flavored Yellow-Dyed Partially-Hydrogenated Vegetable Fat? Decisions, decisions...

No - junk food most definitely does -not- taste better than non-junk food. Not by a longshot.

According to which evolutionary expert, is this a recent phenomena? Since when is the human species MORE at risk of starvation now, than ever before, that it would need to evolve to store more fat than it used to?

Humans, beginning with Homo Erectus, isn't even two million years old. And the species of which we are direct relation, Homo Sapiens, is barely 200,000 years old. There are no "millions of years" for our bodies to adapt. We didn't exist millions of years ago.

And relying only on what's available, can lead to malnutrition, rickets, starvation, and death. Depending on what's available in your natural environment.

It sounds like the next line should read: And if you buy our diet pills, you'll no longer have that trigger and be able to enjoy broccoli just as much as you enjoy Denny's!

What does having a conscience have to do with knowing when we can eat? Is eating an ethical or moral issue now? I thought we were talking about diet and weight loss, not ethics and morality.

Okay, so you're saying, that what we can -do- about this alleged issue that I say doesn't exist...is to realize that our minds are programmed.

[sarcasm] Okay, great! We realize our minds are programmed to want us to indulge and store fat. And you say this is how we can solve the problem? By realizing something? So - I realize something, and my troubles all disappear. I don't even have to stop eating popcorn or Big Macs! I just have to realize that I have a moral obligation to remember that I'm evolved! YAY you have solved the problem of obesity AND world hunger. Pulitzer prize stuff, here.

[/sarcasm]
Did you know that what you are talking about is limited by your false sense of reality? Maybe if you studied just a little bit harder while in school you wouldn't be blinded by these fallacies that have cast a cloud over your judgment. It's called evolutionary psychology. I once knew a gal like you who had everything she could ever want but in the end it meant nothing, because she never knew her true place in the grand scheme of things. I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life but, honestly honey I think it's time you stepped down off of your high horse and looked life square in the eyes

Last edited by floridaaa; 11-11-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM

Troll.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I live in one of the most affluent towns in KY where almost no one is overweight much less obese.
Oh is that right? Well, pardon me then.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Did you know that what you are talking about is limited by your false sense of reality? Maybe if you studied just a little bit harder while in school you wouldn't be blinded by these fallacies that have cast a cloud over your judgment. It's called evolutionary psychology. I once knew a gal like you who had everything she could ever want but in the end it meant nothing, because she never knew her true place in the grand scheme of things. I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life but, honestly honey I think it's time you stepped down off of your high horse and looked life square in the eyes
Where did you get the information for your OP? Is this your own theory and if so what is your training? If you are taking it from other sources then what are they? And what is your solution to this theory of yours?
And what fallacies are you referring to exactly and why are they fallacies?

I suspect you are just another armchair nutritionist who (incorrectly) thinks they have all the answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss