Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
I wonder ... is the mother in the OP's story severely depressed, or does she have an undiagnosed condition, such as depression or even a thyroid malfunction? As one who has a bum thyroid, it can REALLY mess you up if your levels are off ... fatigue, depression, etc.
I think that would make a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
As someone with thyroid issues. Undiagnosed for a few years. It is definitely hard. And most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, as I joke with my family, are whiner issues. If you don't have a sympathetic doctor:
fatigue, weight gain, low energy, dry skin, hair loss/thinning, cold chills, anemia, low vitamin D, depression.....

are all symptoms of hypothyroidism that are very difficult to get diagnosed as such. Many doctors will just tell you that you are imagining things or that it is normal.

I can tell when something is off with my levels when I can't sleep enough, and I am too exhausted/low energy/lazy to shop for groceries/prepare meals....

My mom is very recently diagnosed, but has probably been suffering from hypo for 30+ years. If I would have known, it would have been something I would have looked into many years ago.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I don't judge people for what they eat or don't eat.

How is this any of your business?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Its because there are too many "Dr's" telling us what's healthy and what's not.
Some say fat is good for you,veggies and fruits bad.
The public ends up becoming confused.

If one was watching Dr Oz,and the Doctors,what they say sometime is "questionable".
Didn't Dr. Oz endorse Hcg for weight loss?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 PM

calories in vs calories out.
Not sure really,but

What if someone eats 2 pieces of Kfc fried chicken and diet soda,total cal for the day? 1400

What if someone eats lots of veggies,,fish,and chicken? Total cal? 2400

Whose diet is healthier?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
calories in vs calories out.
Not sure really,but

What if someone eats 2 pieces of Kfc fried chicken and diet soda,total cal for the day? 1400

What if someone eats lots of veggies,,fish,and chicken? Total cal? 2400

Whose diet is healthier?
You would have a hard time getting 2400 cals just from veggies, fish and chicken alone - unless they were all prepared in some sort of extremely fattening way: sauteed in butter then deep fried. If that was the case, might as well go to KFC..

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-31-2013 at 03:48 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Sure it's no one's business how they eat or if they are obese but it is sad that this 12 year kid has to go through life being teased and ridiculed because of her weight not to mention the fact she is a perfect candidate for diabetes and early death.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM

47 posts, read 70,752 times
It's not the food, anyway. When I was younger, I ate anything & everything...like most kids, but spent a lot of time outdoors --playing!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
Cooking takes time. I'm not an elaborate cook, single pan cook actually, but it takes little bit of time. People need that time for TV and internet these days . Healthier (sorta) cooking of grains and beans (and potatoes on sale) is indeed much less expensive than fast food, but eating grains&bean alone takes an ascetic attitude to food. You need sauces, breads and salads to go with that + fruits. And that's where money (and more time) kicks in. Especially if you are a big guy who loves salads, veggies and fruits. Grocery stores goodies are not super tasty (if at all), they are not that fresh and they have all sorts of chemicals on them that may negate all the touted benefits. For example, store grapes, pears, apples don't smell at all - a sure thing of the fruits being grown&processed using unknown (to me) chemicals. Most people don't even know the overwhelming smell of fresh grapes and apples. Store tomatoes, radish, cucumbers, turnips...., almost tasteless to indulge your taste buds. Even if you overlook lack of the natural smells and moderate (or absent) taste, $1.57/lbs grocery fruits&veggies would bite your wallet. Sure, if you get economy veggies/fruits and you limit the quantity, you may save little bit.

Personally, I make a median wage, buying all those generic grocery veggies and fruits I buy in larger (than average) quantities bites my wallet in the ways that are simply unaffordable for low income people. Growing more and more of my own stuff is the only way I can get fresh, tasty and reasonably priced fruits&vegetables in season. For example, last year I had real roasted pumpkin seeds first time in 15 years (not like that store garbage that makes my head hurt) real stuff, I believe those were the only real roasted pumpkin seeds in the radius of 100 miles at least. People no longer grow much of easy to grow stuff, even dirt poor people don't want to create image of poverty by growing their own food, despite having low income, some land and plenty of free of the wage work time. It's nothing but cultural indoctrination of some sort.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM

As I said,what's healthy changes every year.
I have read potatoes aren't good,not matter how you cook them.
Too much starch,and carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss