Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

The "food groups" aren't important and were created by the agricultural industry. But it should be noted that the USDA has shifted to "My plate" and there is no longer a "meat group", oddly there is still a dairy group and grain group though even though they make little sense.

Regardless, people are trying so many diets because people are just getting fatter and fatter. Few understand how to eat healthy.....and there are numerous billion dollar businesses that don't want people to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 AM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Show me someone who completely cuts out carbs and compensates by eating more protein and fat and I'll show you someone who feels deprived and is manipulated by image and is destined for heart disease and kidney problems.
My cholesterol levels plummeted after I began a low-carb way of life, and my kidneys are functioning just fine, thank you very much!

PS -- There is not one low-carb plan out there that advocates "completely" cutting carbohydrates. Please educate yourself.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times
I think the problem lies with how contaminated our food supply is. Back in the day, there were no additives and it you were eating real food. I always try to eat from the earth and very rarely eat boxed processed foods. Try eating organic as much as possible and I am pretty sure you will not only feel better, but any excess weight will drop right off.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
You're living in the dark ages. Back in the dark ages, people ate whatever they want and as much as they wanted and didn't exercise, and they never got fat. Today though, people exercise, join gyms cut out fats and carbs and spend billions on diet and fitness and they are all fat.
That's the result of the USDA, AHA, and other supposedly credible groups giving people terrible diet advice for many decades, inducing widespread fat phobia resulting in a huge increase in refined carbohydrate and sugar consumption.

Combine that with people not knowing how to cook anything that doesn't come in a box with instructions, and grocery store produce being bred for long shelf life at the expense of flavor, and it's no wonder.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Show me someone who completely cuts out carbs and compensates by eating more protein and fat and I'll show you someone who feels deprived and is manipulated by image and is destined for heart disease and kidney problems.
First of all, no one completely cuts out carbs. They cut back on carbs... mainly cutting out the simple carbs.
Veggies, roots, etc are all carbs and accepted if not encouraged as a huge part of a healthy diet. You do not need bread (whole wheat or otherwise) to avoid kidney or heart problems.

That in mind, and in response to your request, I'll show you me!
But you see, instead of relying on the google, i actually go to the doctor to keep track of my health and progress. I specifically request an extended lipid panel and have found that I have Type A LDL living this way. Google that.
I'm almost 40, exercise regularly, run an 8 min mile, in the best shape of my life and well within healthy weight limits with veins and muscle tone, and i eat at least 3 whole farm fresh eggs per day, along with lots of protein from grass fed source along with my veggies. I've had zero problem leading this lifestyle for several years and I'm much healthier all around than when i was eating carbs>protein>fat. No deprivation here, especially that I am now in more of a maintenance mode and can have the occasional sweet, slice of pizza or whatever... i find them not as enjoyable as they used to be, btw.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
First of all, no one completely cuts out carbs. They cut back on carbs... mainly cutting out the simple carbs.
Veggies, roots, etc are all carbs and accepted if not encouraged as a huge part of a healthy diet. You do not need bread (whole wheat or otherwise) to avoid kidney or heart problems.

That in mind, and in response to your request, I'll show you me!
But you see, instead of relying on the google, i actually go to the doctor to keep track of my health and progress. I specifically request an extended lipid panel and have found that I have Type A LDL living this way. Google that.
I'm almost 40, exercise regularly, run an 8 min mile, in the best shape of my life and well within healthy weight limits with veins and muscle tone, and i eat at least 3 whole farm fresh eggs per day, along with lots of protein from grass fed source along with my veggies. I've had zero problem leading this lifestyle for several years and I'm much healthier all around than when i was eating carbs>protein>fat. No deprivation here, especially that I am now in more of a maintenance mode and can have the occasional sweet, slice of pizza or whatever... i find them not as enjoyable as they used to be, btw.

All the beef and eggs and cholesterol you are consuming will catching up with you - at 39 my husband and I ate as you do with no problems at all - wait another 10 - 15 years - you will have to modify that diet.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
All the beef and eggs and cholesterol you are consuming will catching up with you - at 39 my husband and I ate as you do with no problems at all - wait another 10 - 15 years - you will have to modify that diet.
Yup, and i bet you ate all that along with bread, pasta, etc.
Sounds like you DID have problems all those years, you just didn't know any better and didn't know what to look for or to even look for it in the first place.

Nutrition Debate: Are Eggs Good For You? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yup, and i bet you ate all that along with bread, pasta, etc.
Sounds like you DID have problems all those years, you just didn't know any better and didn't know what to look for or to even look for it in the first place.

Nutrition Debate: Are Eggs Good For You? | LIVESTRONG.COM
You make a lot of incorrect assumptions.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times
I am thinking of trying Atkins..I have heard of success with it.

Right now I am on Sensa...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I am thinking of trying Atkins..I have heard of success with it.

Right now I am on Sensa...
Atkins is very restrictive. You will lose weight on it. However it's a real struggle to keep the weight off because of its restrictiveness. There are better and saner ways of losing and more importantly keeping the weight off.
Just remember, it took you a long time to gain the weight. It will take the same amount of time for it to come off. Why not embrace a healthy path instead of one that will surely lead to failure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss