Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I will get to all the links when I have more time. I clicked on the one I was most interested in and got "problem loading page." I am seeking advice - obviously I'm looking for help - it's not that I'm not taking things to heart. I know myself and I know what works and what doesn't (I used to know what helped me lose weight, but it's not working anymore, and just wondering WHY). I'm not hungry in the morning, before or after the coffee. Lots of people have lots of different advice for losing weight, I don't have to follow one person's complete plan.
Now you're just making excuses. In your post just before this one you said:
Quote:
I don't eat breakfast cause the coffee fills me up.
And now you're saying
Quote:
I'm not hungry in the morning, before or after the coffee.
You sound like you like the idea of losing weight, but you don't like the idea of working to lose it. I get that - I don't like the idea of working to lose weight either. But that's why I don't use "losing weight" as my reason for exercise. I use "my doctor told me when I almost died in the 1980's from a car crash that I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 40 so I'd better get in, and stay in shape while I'm still capable of it" as a reason.

You could lose weight by diet alone, and never lift an arm or a leg to exercise. But you'll be unhealthy, unfit, weak, and flabby instead of fat. If that's how you want to feel and look, then don't bother exercising. You're already on your way there; you have no energy, and that's just the beginning of the rest of your life.

On the other hand, if you want to feel good, and look good, and be in good shape, and have energy, then you'll put the second cup of coffee down, have a bite of breakfast, and get your arse up and moving. You can even "un-exercise" by doing something that causes you to sweat, that isn't an "official" exercise. Like, scrubbing the bathroom floor with a sponge, on your knees. And then stretching up to rearrange all the shelves in the cabinets over your kitchen counter. Then use an old fashioned broom to sweep the dust and lint off of a -carpet- (it's not as easy as it sounds). Another day, you could go to the front walk and weed the garden - one weed at a time, standing up to move it to the trash, then squat down to reach the second one, then stand back up, then squat to weed the third one, etc. etc.

But, you won't HAVE energy to exercise if all you're consuming for breakfast is coffee. Consider that you eat dinner when - no later than 7PM. And you wake up at 7AM, and don't eat. And then you continue to not eat til lunch, which is maybe - noon, 1PM..that's 18 hours of fasting, every single day, with nothing but coffee to fuel you all the way into lunchtime, from suppertime the night before. It's no wonder you hate exercise. You're out of shape.

The more you exercise, the less you hate it. It might not ever be "fun" for you - not everyone likes it. But you aren't likely to hate it if you stop justifying your excuses not to do it and giving those justifications weight by refusing to eat for 18 hours in a row on a daily basis, and just start DOING it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
"I don't eat breakfast cause the coffee fills me up. I'm not hungry in the morning, before or after the coffee."
How is that different? Drinking coffee is not eating.

I appreciate advice from everyone and I am not going to respond to criticisms. That is something I DO NOT NEED. Guess what, I hated exercise even when I was in shape.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
First of all...you need to eat three meals and 2 snacks a day....find out what your daily caloric intake should be and cut a few hundred calories off of that. But, do not go below 1200 calories a day.

Also..quit walking...fat ppl walk all day a long and they're still fat. Do something that will really get your heart pumping and make you sweat. I love using the elliptical machine...I get a great full body workout. Try Zumba...another great full body workout.

Do 30-45 mins of cardio a day.........either use a treadmill where you can actually see the speed (and get your pace up) or try another machine.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Click your heels together three times while saying, "there's no place like fit. There's no place like fit" over and over again.

I think that's the closest thing to "advice you actually follow" that you're going to get, judging by your attitude.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I think that low impact exercise like walking makes people healthier overall. It improves muscle tone and cardiovascular health. You might not see an enormous impact on the scale right away, that's true.

Higher impact exercise may (?) burn more calories but it's also harder on my joints and probably easier to injure yourself, so I just stick to walking.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
This attitude - this post - the plea for help (but not really) where people take time to try to help and then the OP basically rejects most or all of it and has an abundance of excuses and an attitude to boot - well, we see this over and over on this forum.

I totally understand making excuses as to why you are overweight or why we can't exercise or why you eat the way we do or can't do the very things that have worked for others - it basically is laziness, fear, justification - whatever....but the bottom line is these people really don't want to go out of their comfort zone and institute real change - change that is hard, that requires work, that isn't comfortable sometimes - they aren't ready for it and in the end they resent what we have to say to them.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that low impact exercise like walking makes people healthier overall. It improves muscle tone and cardiovascular health. You might not see an enormous impact on the scale right away, that's true.

Higher impact exercise may (?) burn more calories but it's also harder on my joints and probably easier to injure yourself, so I just stick to walking.

Not true, unless they are actively walking. And by that I mean walking a fast pace with those arms pumping. Walking can be hard on the knees and feet of those with issues already in their knees and feet.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This attitude - this post - the plea for help (but not really) where people take time to try to help and then the OP basically rejects most or all of it and has an abundance of excuses and an attitude to boot - well, we see this over and over on this forum.

I totally understand making excuses as to why you are overweight or why we can't exercise or why you eat the way we do or can't do the very things that have worked for others - it basically is laziness, fear, justification - whatever....but the bottom line is these people really don't want to go out of their comfort zone and institute real change - change that is hard, that requires work, that isn't comfortable sometimes - they aren't ready for it and in the end they resent what we have to say to them.

just wanted to make sure this post wasn't missed

Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not true, unless they are actively walking. And by that I mean walking a fast pace with those arms pumping. Walking can be hard on the knees and feet of those with issues already in their knees and feet.
I actively walk - arms pumping, heart rate up, a bit of speed. That is my level, my body feels good doing it.

I can see how that might not be true for those with prior injuries/conditions. Maybe they would be better off exercising in the pool or focusing on losing weight first, then exercising.

People have to use common sense and do what is right for them. For instance, some people can jump hurdles, I would probably blow a knee out doing something like that. Exercise should feel good to your body, whatever you do - at least that's my view. It always concerns me to see people on those weight loss shows exercising to the point of throwing up...

Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
NJDevil, I'm turning 50 this year. In January I decided I wanted to be fit and 50 instead of the alternative. There are two things I immediately started doing - 1) Eating less, and 2) Moving more.

I made minor changes to my diet; the biggest change was to limit myself to one cup of coffee and one glass of sweet tea per day. The rest of the time I'm drinking water. I also cut down on the portion sizes. We just bought a yummy cake for my daughter's 28th birthday. I had a very tiny sliver; it wasn't even a piece! When we have lunches catered at work, I'm more aware of what's bad for me, and I limit how much of it I eat (i.e. chips and guacamole, which I love!).

I began walking around a park nearby. One lap is a little over a mile. I started at two laps each day, and have slowly been working my way up. I just walked six laps around on Sunday for the very first time, and another four laps yesterday. That's a lot of walking, and it takes time, but it feels good. I just get my music, put my hat on, and I go. This has become a part of my daily routine; I usually walk at least three or four days a week.

By the way, although I know people here are telling you that you have to eat breakfast, I'm like you. A cup of coffee fills me up. I did my six laps on my one cup of coffee, so I believe you can exercise without eating first. I sometimes snack at night, but when I do it's relatively light (four saltine crackers and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, for example).

I've lost about 14 lbs so far. I weigh myself once a week, and measure myself once a month. The results weren't dramatic at first. Half a pound here, 3/4 of a pound there, etc. But the weight has come off! I'm fitting into clothes I haven't worn in over two years.

It doesn't matter how slowly you start, or how slowly you keep going. It matters that you don't give up, and that you realize this is a long term effort, not something you can do in only a matter of weeks or even a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss